1. What is Blizzard's position on private servers?

New(-ish) player here. I'd like to know more about the topic. Some say Blizz doesn't care at all. Some other say they only close down servers who actually get involved in illegal activities (serious stuff, I mean). Some say it's just a matter of luck. Where's the truth?

2. I don't know the answer to your question, but I asked Mercy about the reason why a very popular Vanilla server got closed in the past, while Warmane still remained, and she told me, that Warmane had a "legal team". I don't know what that means in legal terms, but it seems that Blizzard allows this private server to stay.
    Edited: November 11, 2020

3. I don't know the answer to your question, but I asked Mercy about the reason why a very popular Vanilla server got closed in the past, while Warmane still remained, and she told me, that Warmane had a "legal team". I don't know what that means in legal terms, but it seems that Blizzard allows this private server to stay.
    My understanding for the popular vanilla server is that Blizzard sented cease and desist letter, which is just a warning, then server owners decided to shut down themselt. Warmane probably got same letter years ago and just ignored it.

4. I imagine it's less about how they feel about it and more about what they can do about it. The general proof of this is seen by comparing how many private servers are operating with a US IP vs. how many operate with an overseas IP.

5. Because they aren't breaking any laws. There's a huge difference between what Warmane is and what others think Warmane is.

Blizzard sented cease and desist letter, which is just a warning, then server owners decided to shut down themselt. Warmane probably got same letter years ago and just ignored it.
    Why do people like to assume so much?

6. [...] sented [...]
    send/sent/sent

+ to OP : basically warmane servers are based on I don't know whatever country that doesn't care about copyrights and stuff like that.

Because they aren't breaking any laws. There's a huge difference between what Warmane is and what others think Warmane is.

Why do people like to assume so much?
    Laws are differents based on where you (or your servers) reside. They either don't break the law of the country their server is located, or they indeed break a law that never got reinforced.

7. The domain is registered in Russia. You can check it for yourself with a simple `whois`. I would say that it's safe to assume that the company is too.

8. Again, why do people like to assume so much? If you want to know you just need to read https://www.warmane.com/policies/terms

9. I thought private servers were illegal in North America that's why most private servers are hosted in Europe.

10. A lot of people seem confused here so I'll explain. Blizzard is a has-been, never-was-that-good company that stopped being relevant after WotLK. They haven't done anything to Warmane because they can't, so they've completely stolen its fixed expansion model and are now trying to copy Warmane. The question you should be asking is, what is Warmane's opinion on Blizzard?

11. I thought private servers were illegal in North America that's why most private servers are hosted in Europe.
    Its about how copy-rights law is enforced in different countries. in NA they seem to care a lot more about them then some part of EU/Russia. Also not sure how hard Blizzard want to pursue their rights in this countries, especially when this is no profit servers.