1. Wow 3.3.5a Fire Mage Guide PVE

Greetings everyone,

I'm glad to present you an updated fire mage pve guide with all the uncovered details

https://www.gnarlyguides.com/wotlk/g...pve-fire-mage/

I've been honored to work on such a project and if you have any question feel free to ask and i'll gladly answer

Best Regards,
    Qxu

2. Hi Qxu,

It's great that you are commiting yourself into creating content/knowleadge to share about mages, thank you for that !

The guide you wrote contain some misslead, there is the list of them :
    if you want me to argue for any of them just let me know down below.

In the landing page : Fire Mage Guide

Section Best Race :
    in Alliance Gnome is the best race over dreinei.

Section Best Professions :
    The best profession isn't Tailor it's Engineering
    The best combo of profession is Engineering and JC for sustained dps, and Engineering and Tailor for burst dps. In average the combo Engineering+JC lead.

The Engineering also give : (Springy Arachnoweave) Parachute along with 27 SP cloak enchant. This replaces the standard 23 haste enchant.
    and it give Bombs
    "this profession offers an explosive arsenal with Saronite bombs, and if you become Goblin Engineer you will also have Sapper Charges. These two attacks don't trigger GCD, so they are free Damage. Saronite bombs have a 1 minute CD shared with the Sapper Charges. Sapper Charges have a 5 minute CD shared with the Saronite bombs. They have both an AoE. Saronite Bombs have a range damaging AoE dealing approximately 2500 damage to every stricken target. Sapper Charges have a melee damaging AoE dealing 5000 damage to every stricken targets. Bombs and Charges' damage can be critical ! (Tips for newbies: you can find Saronite Bombs in Bombs Box that Engineers can craft)"

Concerning Tailoring, it don't effectily give 98 spell power but 73.75 :
    "If you want more sustained dps choose Engineer + Jewelcrafting, because compare to Tailor it give you more statistics. Tailor give you effective 295*0.25 = 73.75 SP and remove the 27 SP gived by the engineer cloak. Other wise with Jewelcrafting you keep the 27SP bonus on the cloak and you get a bonus of 48 SP given by your gems so you get 75 SP, it's 1.25 more SP then the Embroidery, assuming she proc on icd (which is almost all time the case.) [Thanks to Khadgar on this point he made me asking my self on the point of being JC and that helped me a lot to figure that paragraph out]

If you want more burst chose Engineer+Tailoring, you will overall miss 1.25 SP. But you will gain a huge SP proc to combine with your other CD as Combustion and your Gloves."

Why 295*0.25 ?
    if you go take the complete cycle of the enchant it last 1 min:
    15 sec proc, follow by 45sec icd, and go again
    So the uptime of the enchant is 15/60 = 0.25 = 25%
    So the bonus give by the enchant is the 295 multiplied by the uptime of the buff

In the Talents&Build page : Talent&Builds

No mistake/misslead on that point just something you should be aware [and you are because you are explaining it in the Rotation section !) : Flame Throwing, have two more advantages then said : the area you can fight in have a 6meter large radius than any other range dps, which give you the possibility to never ever by at less then 5 meter than other raiders (during most of encounters), assuming that most bosses attacks who land on the ground have a 5 meter radius, flame throwing allow you to be, every time, out of range of the landing aoe launch by the boss on your teammate, which overall spare you a lot of "hurry up" movements which increase your time casting which increase you dps. You have 1/25 chance to be target on landing aoe instead of more, and if an attack come for you (as goo's or shadowtraps) you will instantly aware a 6meter move (a gcd is enough) while get you out of trouble
    Second point about Flame Throwing more you are away for the boss longer is a flying time of your spell, which allow you to refresh a living bomb (gcd) and shot your pyro before the fireball you just fired hit the boss, which is especially powerfull to never loose HS procs, and miximize your LB uptime

"The second tree focuses more on higher DPS with Student of the Mind due to the extra spirit that you gain from this talent that will boost your crit significantly from your Molten Armor that is being upgraded with Glyph of Molten Armor "

It's not a really strong boost of your crit :
    ""Increases your total Spirit by X%." (X = 4, 7 or 10)

At BIS gear in Fire specialization you will reach in raid 250 Spirit Rating + 80 (by the Priest buff) + 51 (Druid buff)+ 10% (by the Great Benediction Of Kings) = 406 Spirit Rating.

So 1/3 Student of Mind gives you : 4%*406=16.24 Spirit Rating. You will gain 35% of you spirit in Crit by the Molten Armor + 20% if glyphed means 55%. So you will gain 16.24*55% = 8.932 Crit Rating.

2/3 Student of Mind gives you : 7%*406 = 28.42 Spirit Rating. You will gain 35% of you spirit in Crit by the Molten Armor + 20% if glyphed means 55%. So you will gain 28.42*55% = 15.631 Crit Rating.

3/3 Student of Mind gives you : 10%*406 = 40.6 Spirit Rating. You will gain 35% of you spirit in Crit by the Molten Armor + 20% if glyphed means 55%. So you will gain 40.6*55% = 22.33 Crit Rating."

"Note: Bosses can’t be snared, but the talent requires only the debuff to be present on the target to work."

In fact it's not really true, they cannot be snare but we can slow their attack speed, which made the TTW talent effectif. It's not about "the talent requires only the debuff to be present on the target to work" it's about the target being attackslowed

In the Gems, Enchants, & Consumables page : Gems, Enchants, & Consumables

High Gear Gems

"Yellow: Potent Ametrine + 2 Rigid King's Amber (you will need to of these to reach Hit Rating cap at BiS)"
    Rigid King's Ambers are not the one you should use, use Veiled Ametrine (12sp+10hit),
    Simple math :
    2 Rigid ambers on yellow socket : gain : 40hit; loss : 2*12sp+2*10crit ==> the trade off is 40hit for 24sp+20crit
    4 Veiled ametrine on yellow : gain : 4*12sp+4*10hit; loss : 4*12sp+4*10crit ==> the trade off is 40hit for 40 crit
    Meanwhile sp is your most valuable stat, you should use 4 Veiled Ametrine instead of 2 Kings Amber

"Blue: Misty Eye of Zul "
    Don't use this. Gain : 10crit + 10spirit it means : 10crit + 5.5crit (via Molten Armor) => Effectiv gain : 15.5crit;
    Both Purified Dreadstone (12sp+10spirit) and Runed Cardinal Ruby (23sp) are better

Enchants

Meanwhile you put Tailor cloak enchant, also put the Engineering Cloak enchant

One hand weapon better enchant is Mighty Spellpower over Black Magic, the way you wrote your sentence misslead a bit in favor of Black Magic

In the Stat Priority page : Gems, Enchants, & Consumables

Spell power is over Crit, mainly because spell power isn't degressive, meanwhile crit is (in the way it's exploit by fire mage) the main interest of your crit even before the simple 175% crit damage modifier, is the fact 2 crit in a row lead to a instant pyro, that being said, crit rised you probability of an instant pyro, but that probability is in a math point of view (hotstrike proc chance) = %crit x %crit = (%crit)² and so the transformation fonction to go back to the initial stats is square root, bassically : crit = √(hotstrike proc chance) : and √ is degressive function further you go less benefit you get from it

" Increase Haste with gear upgrades, and even as it is a secondary stat for this build, you should be roughly around the soft cap 22.18% (728 Haste : 4 Fireball during Living Bomb) and you’ll only get to your hard cap 29.58% (971 Haste : 5 Fireball during Living Bomb) with full bis gear. "

You speak about getting maximum FB during an LB, I don't get the point, but I would be really pleased to learn about it. Most of time we are looking for haste cap in mage, it's about getting maximum FB buffed by Pushing the limits (2T10 buff) meanwhile when hotstreak fade it apply the buff and you want to always be able to refresh it with a new hotstreak, and so more you cast FB during pushing the limits more you maximize your chance to have a new Hotstrak proc to refresh pushing the limits before it fade out

"Tip: You can use the 2pc T9 set bonus to buff an improved Molten Armor and then switch to your regular items while still preserving the improved effect."

This depend on the server you are playing on, actually it don't work on warmane

In the Rotation, Cooldowns, & Ability page : Rotation, Cooldowns, & Ability

"When the timer reaches 5 seconds before pulling the boss, pre-use your potion (potions can be used only once in a boss fight and using it before the pull gives you the chance to use it again during the fight if you need it) and immediately start casting Pyroblast (at soft haste cap, your Pyroblast should be roughly around 4 seconds) and with the travel time being around 1 seconds depending on the range you’re standing from the boss (should be 36 yards at pull for maximum efficiency) your spell will hit the boss exactly on pull."

Assuming the casting time you speak about, if i can advise you : precast Scorch if you have to put it on the boss, otherwise precast Pyro 4sec (and not 5) before the beginning and enter the encounter by putting the LB on the boss. This way you while maximize the LB uptime during the encounter (in trade of 1sec cast of FB) but more then that the rythm you will put in place by this spell order is hyper-valuable for your beginning burst of the encounter.

At the start of the encounter, place yourself as far as you can from your raid members and from the boss. This will allow you both an overview of the situation, and it will decrease your chance to be hit by a randomly-launched boss attack.
    Always, maintain a 35+ range from the boss, in order to never waste a Hot Streak proc.

Very nice, and so you get the interest of flame throwing ! :)

Scorch doesn’t stack with Improved Shadow Bolt so if you have a warlock in your raid, just don’t use Scorch as it counts as a DPS loss for you.

A small precision :
    "Demo stops first at 35% mark to cast Soul Fires, Affliction second at 25% when they start using Soul Fire as main filler spell. When neither warlock is using Shadow Bolt anymore, it’s [mages] turn to keep crit debuff up."

Overall thank you for your job, try to fix theses misstakes/missleads, mainly because gnarlyguide website is really catchy in term of look, it's beautifull, and that made the new comers mage confident about it's content. And if the infos given are incorrect or missleading they will not notice.
    As a mage who regularly trains mages I advice them to do not follow gnarly's guides exactly because they contains a lot of miss/false informations.

For once i see an active guide-writer of that website, and so i shared with you my experience with the hope that sonner or later it will be ok for me to lead newcomer mages to your guide !

Wish you all the best, and I hope you ll forget my english (i'm not native speaker)

Tinyball

3. First - Thank you guys!

@Tinyball
    I have a question about Rotation. I reach the haste soft cap on my mage and have 2PT10.
    So when i have hotsreak and i do the instant pyro and i get "Pushing the Limit" - do i spam FB?
    Or when i get new hotstreak before the end of "Pushing the Limit" what is my priority? Instant pyro or 1-2 more FB and then Pyro?

And is it best to use the instant pyro right after the hotstreak so that no more hotstreak is (maybe) wasted?

4. First - Thank you guys!

@Tinyball
    I have a question about Rotation. I reach the haste soft cap on my mage and have 2PT10.
    So when i have hotsreak and i do the instant pyro and i get "Pushing the Limit" - do i spam FB?
    Or when i get new hotstreak before the end of "Pushing the Limit" what is my priority? Instant pyro or 1-2 more FB and then Pyro?

And is it best to use the instant pyro right after the hotstreak so that no more hotstreak is (maybe) wasted?

Hi
    I'll answer to your question but, it's not the main topic of the thread, I guess, so just PM me if you need more infos after

Concerning your rotation, it depend of your crit if you are above 50% fire crit self buffed, I don't advice you to delay an HS.

Basically an HS come from a crit, so if your 2 next spell (FB or LB) crit, than you will proc HS again and loose the first one

So by delaying your instant pyro, you take a gamble on the fact that your next spell will not crit.

So above 50% chance of crit you have more chance to much your HS than to do not

If you are beyond 50% cc (with your groups buffs/debuff) you can think about holding the HS to get better benefit of the haste bonus

but overall remind that and instant Pyro is much more powerfull than the 2T10 hast buff

See you

Tiny
    Edited: February 25, 2021