1. Account wide achievements

I'm not sure if it's possible to add account wide achievements but if it is then it's not a bad idea. Not really a custom like feature as blizzard have added it later on.

Icecrown (and probably other realms aswell) is super reliable on having an achievement in order to get into a pug raid. Instead of logging into a main to prove your experience it would be better to just have everything ready to link wherever you're logged on. Also it would be easier to see if a person is lying about an experience or not. Same goes for PVP people trying to find an experienced player.

Overall I think it's a great feature that Blizzard have added in retail.

2. I'm not sure if it's possible to add account wide achievements but if it is then it's not a bad idea. Not really a custom like feature as blizzard have added it later on.

Icecrown (and probably other realms aswell) is super reliable on having an achievement in order to get into a pug raid. Instead of logging into a main to prove your experience it would be better to just have everything ready to link wherever you're logged on. Also it would be easier to see if a person is lying about an experience or not. Same goes for PVP people trying to find an experienced player.

Overall I think it's a great feature that Blizzard have added in retail.
    A few issues with this. First off you have to remember this is a static server, people can sell chars and there is a huge economy based on individual characters having achievements. Take that away and it screws that system. Also the achievements being bound to a character is important for checking some level of competency for pugs. Not only would sharing achievements account wide make it hard for pugs to tell if that SPECIFIC character can handle the content, but is also makes it impossible for them to determine if you know that particular class and spec. For example, I have LOD and RS25hc on my rdudu, hunter, and rshaman, how let's assume I want to join on my little warlock, I can tell you right now my ability to play warlock is not at an LOD or RSHC level. If I could just link that achieve how would people know that I actually know or don't know fights, tactics, and my class? Also it's more fun for your characters to progress separately from each other, kind of removes a lot of content if you can just do the achieve once per account.