1. PVP on Icecrown

I have played on and off for years and never really gotten into this server. I want to give it a try again for pvp but i have heard from the pserver community that its impossible to pvp on this server without paying. I've seen my fair share of full bis ret paladins with smourne just out in the open world.

My question is. is it a waste of time to level/gear on this server for pvp means if i dont plan on paying?

2. Every gear piece is obtainable in game without donating. Realm is old and lot's of people are BiS. In the end it's irrelevant if you get smashed by player who donated or player who grinded for gear. And yes, you will get destroyed by better geared and skilled people.
    To donate full BIS character it's some 500-700 eur, very few people pay that. Doesn't stop "omg P2W" dudes from crying tough.

3. You can obtain everything by playing.Downside is that most of the players are already geared so you will have harder time until you get some gear.You can try Frostmourne too

4. I have played on and off for years and never really gotten into this server. I want to give it a try again for pvp but i have heard from the pserver community that its impossible to pvp on this server without paying. I've seen my fair share of full bis ret paladins with smourne just out in the open world.

My question is. is it a waste of time to level/gear on this server for pvp means if i dont plan on paying?
    It's a long path, and not the easiest one. If you are prone to quit easily, I don't recommend hopping into Icecrown PvP, you'd only get burned. People have had 6 years to farm, learn their classes and their counters, min-max, and hone their skills.

I'd advise to play PvE more to begin with, then switch to PvP at your own pace. If PvP doesn't work for you, you can always hop back into PvE, and give PvP a try again later.

5. Every gear piece is obtainable in game without donating. Realm is old and lot's of people are BiS. In the end it's irrelevant if you get smashed by player who donated or player who grinded for gear. And yes, you will get destroyed by better geared and skilled people.
    To donate full BIS character it's some 500-700 eur, very few people pay that. Doesn't stop "omg P2W" dudes from crying tough.
    500-700 eur? It would be true if you included prices for transmogs and mounts, and then gear
    You can make perfectly bis char with less than 300 euro (not talking about shadowmourne classes, even with smourne classes u dont need to donate 500euro), and even then 200euro is enough, because most of the items you can farm even if you are unskilled.
    I play warmane for around 3 years, donated around 1k euro, i have 5 characters with 6k+ gs, and 2 bis (rog and dk), 1 of them with donated smourne, 2 of the chars (bis ones) even have magic rooster egg (chicken mount that costs 100c per each)
    What im trying to say is, if you can afford donating atleast 100-200euro, you will buy more than enough gear for your main to have a great gameplay and farm easier-to-get items without donating:)

6. That's wasn't the point.
    If starting player wants to compete with BIS geared players today, it will cost high amount. Gear, instalvl, professions, gold for gems/enchants/skills. People who do that are rare.
    Lots of players do just like you say, buy few pieces, weap+trinket and such, get the rest in game.
    Lots of players donate minimum amount to skip que/get access to market, sell gold and chars to get themselves SM and stuff.
    And most, I guess, are just like OP, going trough tough start and that makes getting competitive gear so much sweeter.

7. That's wasn't the point.
    If starting player wants to compete with BIS geared players today, it will cost high amount. Gear, instalvl, professions, gold for gems/enchants/skills. People who do that are rare.
    Lots of players do just like you say, buy few pieces, weap+trinket and such, get the rest in game.
    Lots of players donate minimum amount to skip que/get access to market, sell gold and chars to get themselves SM and stuff.
    And most, I guess, are just like OP, going trough tough start and that makes getting competitive gear so much sweeter.
    That's correct
    If new player wants to buy instant 80 lvl, buy full proffs, buy himself all the gear pvp/pve (even the items u can get by playing bgs), buy mounts, buy expensive mogs and scrolls, then he can spend 700euro+ easily haha, but its such a waste of money imo
    Its nice to have donated profs with all the recipes, but how often would someone use all these recipes.. U can get 2 profs easily in less than 1 day if you find good enough tutorial on forums (what mats to buy etc), and ofc u need some gold but if u donate 700euro it wont be a problem
    Mounts and transmogs are just accesories..
    My point is 200euro is more than enough to make close to bis char without mourne (a tip for new players)
    But if u go 700euro then u can have bis pvp and pve gear, both sets fully mogged, expensive mounts.. But i doubt that new players would go all in with such big donations, not knowing if server is good etc, only if u have ****ton of money u dont care about, which doesnt happen often, then yeah

8. Don't forget, once you donate and buy gear, that gear will get you in upper BG bracket instantly.

9. Yes, gearing up is still possible and can be fun.
    The gear brackets make it a 2 stage progress though.
    Up until around 5300 gs it's smooth sailing and you will very often end up in the lower bracket. The "toughest"/best geared guys you will met there are from Blackrock with starter gear and you yourself will be one of the best geared guys in the BG.

Once you breach 5.6 k you will play almost always in the higher bracket.
    *sarcasm on * It´s always fun when you join a BG and the first thing you see are 5 Smourne animations and 10 LK horses coming at you from the enemy base. Bonus points for playing a cloth wearer in this situation. The game just look more beautiful in grey in my opinion anyway. *sarcasm off*

But in all honestly now, I would highly suggest not gearing further than 5.3k or, if you want to push your luck, 5.5k.
    It just feels bad to finally get a gear upgrade and go from one of the best geared players to worst geared player in your battlegrounds as a "reward".

Trying to gear up through arena is even worse. There is just massive gear inflation on this server so most people are way overgeared for their rating due to donations and the server having no gear resets via seasons.

If you do some high end PvE though, you can get close to BiS with "casual PvP" though . Everything exept for the S8 helm, shoulders and weapons can be obtained kinda easily, if you are willing to put in the time. Your weapon should be PvE anyway, and the stat loss from S7 helm and shoulders is not too big.
    Then you can maybe have some fun in the higher bracket ;).

10. Im not into pvp, but i want to give my opinion on the "need" of donating. i start on warmane 1 year ago with a single donation of 10E to get access to the trade systeme. Now i have 15char at 6k2+GS (distributed on différent accounts),
    First few months i had to level up and get gear on few char by pve, because im making my golds in raid/dungeon and selling everything, also doing some wintergrasp questing
    I know some people level character with proffession to trade them for coin too. You can find different way to make plus or less 1bis/week using the warmane trade system, for free. It's extremly satysfying.
    The best in your case, i think, it's a combinaison of trading for weap/trkt and grinding arena/honor for the rest
    Edited: September 2, 2021