1. Arena noob questions

Hey,

I've never actually played arena before and idk exactly how to get into it. I mean I know the basics of how it works but I have a couple questions.

I'm playing on Icecrown, retpal 5.2gs atm (honor gear mostly), fully enchant and all but IDK what exactly I'll be facing, is there a chance i'll be matched against fully geared tryhards ?

Also, what would be best to start with ? 2v2 trying to find a mate that accomodates someone with no experience like me or go into 3v3 solo queuing ?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

2. Hi,

There is a high chance that you will be matched against 6.5+ gs players. The arena is cross-realm, so you can encounter Blackrock starters who are more geared than you (5.5 gs), but you can also encounter even more experienced players with even better gear either from Blackrock, Icecrown, Lordaeron...
    Unfortunately, with 5.2 gs, I would say that you are on the lower end of the gear distribution with respect to the average arena player.

I would recommend to farm the entire relentless gear by grinding battlegrounds and to find a decent weapon (min ilvl 251) to try and reach 5.5 gs. Then, you will be on the gear level of a Blackrock starter.

I would not recommend to join soloQ right now, since you have no experience and low-end gear. People will be mad and toxic with you. Unless you are a god-tier pala, your life will be miserable.
    Find a laid-back partner and farm some 2s. When you feel comfortable and you have at least 5.5 gs, join soloQ.

Do not forget that your main role as a retpal is supporting your team. You should have macros @party1, @party2 for Cleanse, Hand of Freedom, Hand of Protection, Flash of Light, Sacred Shield; and you should use your Divine Sacrifice and Hand of Sacrifice wisely (either to reduce pressure or to break polymorph)

Macros @arena1, @arena2, @arena3 for Hammer of Justice and Repentance are useful too

If you do join soloQ, be prepared to do everything you can to help your partners. Since you are a paladin, you will be matched with a lot of disc priests. You have to rotate all your CDs to help them survive v.s. warriors, rogues and dks. Keep Sacred Shield up at all time, use your sacrifices, your Hand of Protection and your Hand of Freedom to break Kidney Shot. Fear Gargoyle (Turn Evil). Cleanse all magic CCs as soon as possible to keep your team active (hunter traps, poly, fear, etc.).
    If you master these basics at 100%, you will be a decent pala and can reach 2k even with low-end gear.

Good luck