1. Don't be that kind of AH guy

I figured I'd share this interaction with another player, because everyone can profit from a bad example. The name is redacted of course and I'm choosing to not reveal the items being argued over until later, for dramatic impact. I'm also choosing to not correct his errors, because I think it helps the reader grasp their stupidity.

Originally Posted by First Message
    Why you sell in AH <redacted> & <redacted) too cheap? 40g? That have prices about 500g in AH stop to sell that too cheap
    I replied that I sell items based upon the prices of the mats and adding a profit margin.

Originally Posted by Second Message
    You are an <insult censored by the forum, starts with I and ends with T>. You don't know anything mate, you are the tharash of this server. I don't care your prices anymore. Go to be poor guy all the time.
    I replied that these crafted items are made from trainer taught recipes and from common mats. He needs to stop pretending that they should be worth a lot.

Originally Posted by Third Message
    Stop pretending who you are the smart seller. The market put the prices not me. You are the poor dump biugger in this server.

You are the most <insulted censored by the forum, means intellectually disabled> people who I've know in Wamrane. Really BA seller and really unsmart people. Now go to farm your primos.
    I can't remember what I replied at this point. His reactions are honestly bizarre and funny, in a pathetic way.

Why do I think he's so upset? For whatever reason he believes that other players will buy these items for 500g. For a few weeks I've been crafting various low level items made from cheap mats and putting them on the AH. He's been buying these items from me, I guess assuming that I'd stop posting. I craft and post a replacement every time an item sells and I think he realizes that I'll just post another every time he buys what I post.

So what are these items?

Cindercloth Pants and Vest!

https://wotlk.evowow.com/?item=14045
    https://wotlk.evowow.com/?item=14042

As anyone can see these do not use rare materials. I buy the mats from the AH all the time. The total cost for the vest is 8.5g and the pants are 12.5g. For whatever reason he believes these are worth 500g.

There are three lessons to be learned here.
    1. Don't delude yourself into thinking that something is worth more than it is. The market decides, not your wishful thinking.
    2. Don't try to buy up the supply of crafted items made with common materials, believing you'll be able to establish a monopoly and resell everything you bought at a profit.
    3. Don't send in-game mail to your AH competitors. It reveals that you are petty and insecure.

2. A follow-up response from this angry fool.

Originally Posted by Fourth Message
    jaja Ho to cry your mom <explicitive> branless

You should know something. The really prices of that pants is about 500g. You sell in 30 I did buy you for 30g about 3 times and i did SELL in the market price - jajaja

You are the most brainless seller i'VE never seen. So shut up you need to know that.

I win you lose poor loser jaja
    Ask yourself, would he continue sending me angry messages if he is able to buy my item and resell for a huge profit?
    Edited: December 28, 2021 Reason: grammar

3. I find AH prices these days to be pretty absurd across the board.

Recently been leveling a druid on horde and thought I'd be able to buy a few lvl 30-40 pieces armor to upgrade my gear. Turns out a good 95% of all blue items are priced so highly that not only would you need an 80 alt to finance it, but a very rich alt that doesn't mind you spending on average 100g for a crappy blue item that I would usually just vendor.

While I technically could afford it, I will not play into that type of price gouging.

Good to hear somebody is putting things up for reasonable/realistic prices. I dunno, maybe I am out of touch with how many bots there are and the severity of inflation they are responsible for. Going by these AH prices, it seems to assume that everybody bought gold and has 200k on each character. That's the only explanation I can think of that would justify crappy lvl 30 blues for 500g that aren't even Xmogs or twink items.

People are of course free to manipulate the AH any way they want. Though I think it's a shame that new players get shafted by this more than anyone. Ironically it would take them 70 levels just to make enough gold to buy that blue item they wanted at lvl 20 lol.

4. There are three lessons to be learned here.
    1. Don't delude yourself into thinking that something is worth more than it is. The market decides, not your wishful thinking.
    2. Don't try to buy up the supply of crafted items made with common materials, believing you'll be able to establish a monopoly and resell everything you bought at a profit.
    3. Don't send in-game mail to your AH competitors. It reveals that you are petty and insecure.
    1. Lesson here is that you are negotiating against yourself. Ask yourself this - who buys these items? People who buy them will not care too much if it's 40 or 500. Poor guys like you will just make them for those 12.5g or whatever. Also pretty funny is that buying them for 40g, disenchanting them will likely make profit. Unless someone like you comes and puts "bUt rEaGenTs + pRofiT" price omg. Market decides the price, exactly like you said. I enjoy stocking up on some "righteous" dudes items he sells for "fair price", after some time he is still poor af, drops it because it's just now worth the time. Then I make profit from his items. Why craft and headache these things, if you can just go kill 2 mobs and make same gold?

2. They are buying your work, so they can make profit with 2 clicks, while you run around and craft things. They are your employers, don't tell them what to do.

3. Meh, that guy sent it because he doesn't understand the market, exactly like you. Nothing wrong there, all he wanted was for you both to make biggest profit, he didn't know your are on the crusade.

5. 1. Lesson here is that you are negotiating against yourself. Ask yourself this - who buys these items? People who buy them will not care too much if it's 40 or 500. Poor guys like you will just make them for those 12.5g or whatever. Also pretty funny is that buying them for 40g, disenchanting them will likely make profit. Unless someone like you comes and puts "bUt rEaGenTs + pRofiT" price omg. Market decides the price, exactly like you said. I enjoy stocking up on some "righteous" dudes items he sells for "fair price", after some time he is still poor af, drops it because it's just now worth the time. Then I make profit from his items. Why craft and headache these things, if you can just go kill 2 mobs and make same gold?

2. They are buying your work, so they can make profit with 2 clicks, while you run around and craft things. They are your employers, don't tell them what to do.

3. Meh, that guy sent it because he doesn't understand the market, exactly like you. Nothing wrong there, all he wanted was for you both to make biggest profit, he didn't know your are on the crusade.
    You make a lot of assumptions, that are wrong. They are trying to sell these things for 500g. That's doesn't mean anyone is buying at that price. It is also not profitable to disenchant those items. The materials are worth more than what you get from disenchanting. I'm able to make 3x the cost of the materials with a small time investment because there's no farming involved. Everything is readily available at the AH.

The person also send another message.
    Originally Posted by Fifth Message
    You maybe dont be angry

Just only you need know you are brainless, thats all
    Yesterday I went ahead and crafted 15 of each and posted them to the AH. If it was so profitable to sell these at a much higher price, he'd buy out my postings, but that isn't reality. Maybe angrylol will buy it up and disenchant. We'll see.

6. Cloth weares use that items for xmog that's how it goes. Appearance = quick gold. There is nothing wrong with that if you want to put cheap items on AH, but there is also a reason why it is so expensive.
    Not because the player who crafted is greedy, but to insure himself from other greedy players.
    And yes, for x-mog players are ready to give abnormal prices for one piece.

7. What you will see is: you will repost your 15 items every 48h for months and months, because it's dead no competition market. Until you will have paid in lost deposits more than they are worth.

All you did was mess up this one dudes little thing where he posts an item, so if someone ever want's it, it's there.

You are "that AH guy" you derp.

8. You're a clown.

The deposit cost is next to nothing. My post sales have paid the deposit costs and material costs many times over.

I didn't ruin anything for anyone. He is posting an item that will not sell at that price. Whereas the profitable price I post has resulted in sales. His fantasy is irrelevant to reality.

You can post items for whatever price you want. However, that doesn't mean other players will buy it, even if there are no other suppliers.

9. That item sells for 300-700 gold all year around, in very low quantities. I really doubt that price is huge factor here. Or you think that you are first guy ever to discover these Cindercloths? What happened to all the previous dudes who crafted whole lot of them, eager to sell?

You made some righteous topic about "fair" prices and whatnot. You can post for whatever price you want, but remember, market sets the price. Fair price is whatever someone is willing to pay. How many of those items you will sell? 5 of each, before you give up? Quite the gold mine, whole 300g worth of profit over only goblins know how long time. I bet in a few decades you will catch up to his profits. You sure showed that guy!

And you made a mistake, I just came to your circus to be entertained. Maybe talk to you, give some advice, so you go and make some real gold. But that's all right, we all learn as we go. Tough it's clear now that you are not in it to make gold, instead you have your shallow crusade you will forget after 1 week, that's all right too, seen it hundreds of times. GL with your Cindercloth gold mine xD
    Edited: December 29, 2021

10. I don't care if you want to pretend that this trainer taught crafted item made from common materials is some secret gold earner. That's fantasy. Few buy these items even when I sell them for several times the cost of the materials. Someone that thinks it is worth more is welcome to buy what I craft and try test their luck.

You seem to have a mentality like so many others, that some trick is how to make gold at the AH. Making gold is no different than how real life stores operate. They don't have just a few items and hope a whale shows up. They sell a variety of items, as do I. It takes me a few moments to buy materials from the AH and craft most items. Multiplying what I've invested at the cost of a very small amount of time. I'm not concerned about one specific item earning a ton of gold. I make plenty over the course of the week selling hundreds of items from every profession. I didn't just start making these items. I've been doing this for months. After last squish I didn't get back into crafting a lot of tailoring. I decided to jump back into it a few months ago. I won't forgot about doing this in a week. I've been playing this auction house for two years.

What's really interesting is that you're pretending to argue against me, but making false claims about what I've wrote. I never mentioned fair. There's no such thing as fair. The seller and buyer each determine what an item is worth to them. If they can agree, a sale is accomplished. That's as close to fair as can exist. The only reason I made this forum post is because some fool decided to start sending me in-game mail messages, whining because he thinks his fantasy is ruined by me and not the reality that his dream of making a fortune on these items is silly. You'd know that if you actually read what I've been writing.

11. You got me all confused, you air your and that guys laundry, made this post with quotes and everything. Make a spectacle how you will sell the item for 40g instaed of 500, because it's profitable. You say market sets price, but then you say that you set the price. But then you don't really expect to make profit from that particular item, you are just mad that some guy whispered you, because you peed on his sand castle. You say it's delusions, but it has worked for years before you took a dump in that market.

What is point of your topic, in 15 words maybe, so we can understand.

12. god bless pple like OP. i would be broke without you ngl

13. You got me all confused, you air your and that guys laundry, made this post with quotes and everything. Make a spectacle how you will sell the item for 40g instaed of 500, because it's profitable. You say market sets price, but then you say that you set the price. But then you don't really expect to make profit from that particular item, you are just mad that some guy whispered you, because you peed on his sand castle. You say it's delusions, but it has worked for years before you took a dump in that market.

What is point of your topic, in 15 words maybe, so we can understand.
    The market does set the price. I buy the materials on the market and add a profit margin. If the margin is too high, the item doesn't sell. If it is consistently selling soon after posting it, I can probably increase the profit margin.

These items are not sold every time I post them. They sell frequently enough to make it worth my time, but not so much to indicate that demand is high enough to demand a higher price.

The point of my topic is in the original post. It seems you are choosing to ignore what I wrote.

14. So the item is 500g for years, but then you come and "set the market price". What would we do without you, oh my
    You even get mad when someone says anything about it to you, mad enough to make a forum post
    ???

15. I'm not mad. I'm laughing at the guy that felt it necessary to start sending me in-gamed mail every day because his delusion was falling apart. If only you'd read the original post.

12 Last