Was in the ninja reporting thread and decided it might be helpful to post a little bit of extra advice here that many raid leaders I knew on retail used as well as many I didn't know. As well as some advice for raid members as well.

As a raid leader for a pug you're taking in people from all walks of WoW and while GS (bleh) can help you choose if you really want things to go smoothly always do some manual checking of gear beforehand. Never rely solely on GS...ever, its a terrible mod that has lead to far too many lazy people. Use it as a base if you will but never base your final decision on it.

Next up rules, most players who raid in wow are familiar with the fact that most different PUGs have different rules, while these can vary there are some common ones that make sense.

Some common rules to make raids go smoothly and have the most people leave happy are these:

First common rule: Each person only gets 1 piece of loot. This of course does have exceptions, for example it's always better for loot to go to a player than be disenchanted so if only one person needs it and they have already won loot, they should still get it rather than it being DE'd. Also if a piece of loot drops that two people need but both have won an item already, they just roll for it as normal.

Second common rule(s): Performance based rules, ie you must do XXXX dps to get loot, or you must be near other healers on the healing meter, you must be able to tank YY mob, that kind of thing. These rules are often frowned upon but are there for a reason, so that you can't autopilot your way through a raid. As long as they're specified beforehand they are good rules, but always specify before the raid if you're going to use them, either in the ad or in raid chat/announce when all players are present. (or even better in both)

Third common rule: Rolling only on items for your main or current spec. This one is pretty self explanatory, but once again, offspecs should be able to get loot before DE does, pretty much everything takes priority over DE.

There are more possible rules than that but those are three of the most common sets.

As far as rules are concerned I said it up there and I'll say it again announce them before the raid. Either in the ad for the PUG, or in chat incrementally and a few times once all members are present. Even better a combination of both. That way everyone is clear on the rules as soon as it starts. Making a macro can help with this.

Something as simple as:

/rw Raid rules posted in chat, read them carefully.
/r Rule 1: Players will only receive one item of loot unless no other players need it or all other players who do have also received an item already.
/r Rule 2: All dps must do over 3k dps or they will get lowest priority on loot (rolls against players on the mark will be discarded if you are below this mark.)
/r Roll only for your main spec.
/r Players will have priority over Disenchants on all gear.
/r If you have any questions about details of these rules ask them in chat and we'll try to explain as best we can.

That might actually be a double macro one, I didn't count characters, but you can see how that would help. Notice the first line is a raid warning to draw attention to the rules when they are posted.

Next tip is to always take a screenshot when you post the final rules before the raid starts. For this screenshot it is helpful to have:
- The raid window open so all player names are displayed. This way they can see this was the same exact raid. Also Raid ID displayed if you're continuing a previously botched one.
- The date displayed somewhere on the screen, default its up in the corner but depending on your ui it may not be.
- Timestamps on your chat and a clock displayed somewhere on screen.

With all of this displayed in the screenshot if someone who didn't get loot due to rules accuses you of ninjaing loot, you have an extremely solid defense.

Know your master looter, this should be obvious, but make sure your master looter is trustworthy and not just one of the PUGs.

Thats pretty much all the tips I have for the leaders.

For Raid members I only offer a couple tips.

1) Read the rules carefully, ask questions if you have them. If you don't like them just join a different raid before the raid starts when rules are announced. Leave gracefully not in a flaming ball of flamingness.

2) Do your job in the raid and chances are you will be eligible for loot and will be leaving an opening to be invited back for later raids, do your job very well and they might even ask you next time instead of you having to hunt for them.

3) Learn your class well. Read up on your class if necessary, ask for tips from players who outperformed you in that raid last week who are your class, there's always someone doing higher healing or higher dps somewhere that you can learn from. This is possibly the best tip I could give, ever, for any facet of WoW.

That concludes this post, anything you wish to add just do so at the bottom.