1. Linux Mint / Problems after NVIDIA Driver Update to 545

Hello,

the game is unplayable (2 FPS even during the login screen) after a driver update to:

nvidia-driver-545
    (NVIDIA 545.29.02)

The game is run on Linux Mint via Steam (Proton), see specs below:

Linux Mint 21.1 (64 bit)
    X570 AORUS ULTRA
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
    NVIDIA Corporation TU104 [GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER]

Video Card information provided by steam:
    Driver: Mesa llvmpipe (LLVM 15.0.7, 256 bits)
    Driver Version: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 23.0.4-0ubuntu1~22.04.1
    OpenGL Version: 4.5

Relevant Video Card information via glxinfo:
    OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 545.29.02

The game ran fine before updating the driver, however I can not revert as another game needs the updated driver to function properly.

WHAT ELSE DOESN'T WORK (all run via Steam/Proton):
    Turtle-WoW (even worse FPS than on Warmane)
    Retail Battle.net Launcher (stuck logging in, however not frozen like old clients!)

WHAT DOES WORK:
    Whitemane

Therefore, I assume it has something to do with older clients (pre-cata). In the case of retail, it might be a different issue, as graphics seem to be fine, the launcher is just acting strange.

THINGS I'VE TRIED:
    -clear WTF folder etc.
    -changing Proton version to Proton 8.0-4 / 7.0-6 / 5.0-10 / Experimental
    -changing Video settings ingame (fullscreen, windowed, ultra, low etc.)
    -disabling hardware cursor (as suggested in old threads)
    -changing Steam launch options (e.g., "PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1", "-force-gfx" or "-dx9")
    -I have now consistently tried to purge (sudo apt autoremove nvidia* --purge) different NVIDIA drivers and the problem still persists across the board, 545, 535 and 470 drivers all lead to nothing.

Is there anyone else with the same problems or anyone who has a fix that does not consist in simply removing the new driver and reinstalling the old one?

Update: I've tried using "usebottles" to get the new launcher running (as flatpak, so I won't be missing any dependencies). I can play Wrath Classic through the official Battle.net Launcher now, at least. Will try to do the same with Warmane.
    While trying to get usebottles running, I ran into this error:
    DXVK: No adapters found. Please check your device filter settings and Vulkan setup. A Vulkan 1.3 capable driver is required.

So, Cyberpunk 2077 ran through Steam/Proton, CS2 worked fine, only non-steam apps using Proton seemed to have an issue. Something about Proton/Steam not recognizing DXVK after I updated my GPU drivers yesterday?
    Edited: November 2, 2023 Reason: added GPU information

2. Anything interesting in the terminal output? Do other games run fine? Tried setting gxapi to opengl?

3. I playing on arch with wine with the latest nvidia driver and i have no issue with the game. Try launching it with wine instead of proton.

4. Anything interesting in the terminal output? Do other games run fine? Tried setting gxapi to opengl?
    Tried this just now (added SET gxAPI "OpenGL" to config.wtf) - when starting up Warmane through Proton "World of Warcraft was unable to start 3D acceleration".

The problem remains even after adding "PROTON_USE_WINED3D = 1% command%" to the launch parameters in Steam.

I removed these parameters again, tried with "PROTON_NO_D3D11= 1% command%". Error remains.

Removed SET gxAPI "OpenGL" from config.wtf and issue persists.

Regarding other games:

I am launching the Retail Battle.net Launcher via Steam/Proton as well (Wotlk Classic) and after my driver update the Battle.net launcher won't log me in (it's not frozen/stuttering like Warmane, it just doesn't get over logging in in some way).
    Edited: November 2, 2023

5. As you may be aware, the correct format is "PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%" (not that it's necessarily a solution)

6. . .
    Edited: January 1, 2024