1. Doesn't it make more sense to drop gold rates rather than doing this silly thing every year? People can exploit, and not only avoid having their gold squashed, but even make more gold from the gold squashes. If the economy works the way it was intended by Blizzard it wouldn't need to be "adjusted".

2. Doesn't it make more sense to drop gold rates rather than doing this silly thing every year? People can exploit, and not only avoid having their gold squashed, but even make more gold from the gold squashes. If the economy works the way it was intended by Blizzard it wouldn't need to be "adjusted".
    Problem is design, wow itself, realms here. It can't be hardcore economy simulator.
    People who have lots of gold an stuff are not a problem in any way. I believe they are quite the opposite. It keeps being brought up by clueless people and their envy.
    That one squish which was accompanied with gold drop rates reduction actually worked, assuming it was all acordding to plan and there is no long term inflation from some magical "excess gold", we can see something way worse. Inflation, which is there despite squishes, and looks like reason for that is people losing trust in gold.

For a moment I thought enforced 2FA ill make squish go away, but I was wrong.

3. Ive said this before, solution to gold squish is regular (monthly or biweekly) squish of small amounts, like 3% for bi weekly or 5% for monthly. That works in the exact same way inflation works in the real world, where your real net value decreases by some small percent every month. It works in real life, it creates a stable economy. Doing a massive 50% squish every year is disruptive and chaotic, unlike smaller scale but more frequent squish.

Altternatively, just don't do squish at all. Who cares if new players can't afford BoE? They can actually play the game to get gear. New player can do profession or farm emblem and make lots of gold if the economy was inflated. That way they can afford flying, dual spec, repair etc even easier. Only BoE and mats are harder, but that is not mandatory to progress in PvE or PvP. Just do raids and join guilds, you will slowly progress.

The excuse of "new players cant afford BoE" is the only justification given for gold squish and its a very weak one IMO. In reality, inflation makes it easier to EARN money and buy all the other FIXED price items that are not inflated, like flying/dual spec etc.

4. I hope this does not come across the wrong way, I love the server that is why I care.

The gold squish does not make the economy healthier, the auction house is pure madness.

The only result is people hoard items and often do not sell certain items at all.

If prices become inflated newer players would just earn more when selling them.

MANY more people would also buy or sell gold in my opinion.

We can have an economy of abundance or scarcity, please reconsider this.

5. New record of chat flood with banned bots? gg

6. If they actually want to make a difference with gold squish they need to cut 75% of the gold in circulation every other year...otherwise people will just keep making obscene amounts of gold on the server abusing the squish mechanic over year long period
    THIS!!!

Please take note, 50% squish is very easily dodged, two squishes a year or one big 75% squish would actually be better for the entire economy!!

Please take into consideration!

7. Ive said this before, solution to gold squish is regular (monthly or biweekly) squish of small amounts, like 3% for bi weekly or 5% for monthly. That works in the exact same way inflation works in the real world, where your real net value decreases by some small percent every month. It works in real life, it creates a stable economy. Doing a massive 50% squish every year is disruptive and chaotic, unlike smaller scale but more frequent squish.

Altternatively, just don't do squish at all. Who cares if new players can't afford BoE? They can actually play the game to get gear. New player can do profession or farm emblem and make lots of gold if the economy was inflated. That way they can afford flying, dual spec, repair etc even easier. Only BoE and mats are harder, but that is not mandatory to progress in PvE or PvP. Just do raids and join guilds, you will slowly progress.

The excuse of "new players cant afford BoE" is the only justification given for gold squish and its a very weak one IMO. In reality, inflation makes it easier to EARN money and buy all the other FIXED price items that are not inflated, like flying/dual spec etc.
    It's not about "new players can't afford boe", it's about the price being rampantly HIGH.

You are devaluating the currency for not imposing prices, and it shows. 1 titansteel bar was 350g after last squish, it's upto 700-900g right now. It won't stop if people have a ****load of gold in their pockets.

I hope this does not come across the wrong way, I love the server that is why I care.

The gold squish does not make the economy healthier, the auction house is pure madness.

The only result is people hoard items and often do not sell certain items at all.

If prices become inflated newer players would just earn more when selling them.

MANY more people would also buy or sell gold in my opinion.

We can have an economy of abundance or scarcity, please reconsider this.

Gold squish makes it healthier, albeit more squishes should happen, even monthly 10-20% would be amazingly healthy. You literally do not pay any taxes for the gold except for the auction house.

I recommend you two pickup some Economy 1.0.1.

8. Wiping the auction house would be ****in insane, and tbh I'm all for it if it's random and unannounced but people would go crazy

9. ...
    Gold squish makes it healthier, albeit more squishes should happen, even monthly 10-20% would be amazingly healthy.
    I'm really interested, how would that make it healthy, what even is "healthy"?

10. It's not about "new players can't afford boe", it's about the price being rampantly HIGH.

You are devaluating the currency for not imposing prices, and it shows. 1 titansteel bar was 350g after last squish, it's upto 700-900g right now. It won't stop if people have a ****load of gold in their pockets.

Gold squish makes it healthier, albeit more squishes should happen, even monthly 10-20% would be amazingly healthy. You literally do not pay any taxes for the gold except for the auction house.

if you put on monthly tax then people will sell for even higher prices to conpensate the tax. Like WTS primos 700g + 20% tax. Also casual players that hop on for few days every other week or month will lose all their gold or will have to stock up on BoE, crafting materials.

11. If they actually want to make a difference with gold squish they need to cut 75% of the gold in circulation every other year...otherwise people will just keep making obscene amounts of gold on the server abusing the squish mechanic over year long period
    What you're asking for is a solution to a problem that all the world's leaders and top economists haven't figured out in centuries...

Every system will have exploits. You cannot design a monetary system that is "fair". Doesn't exist.

12. What you're asking for is a solution to a problem that all the world's leaders and top economists haven't figured out in centuries...

Every system will have exploits. You cannot design a monetary system that is "fair". Doesn't exist.
    Actually, this being a videogame, you can. All it would take it setting a reasonable maximum price for each and every tradable item. People could then grind for however much gold they wanted, but it would be completely pointless, and they wouldn't be able to exploit with increasing prices with the excuse of excessive gold. It's never going to happen, though, not the least of it because people don't want a solution for this.

13. People want solution, which would be steady market, players efforts have and retain value. Engaging in trading is rewarding instead of grinding quests as it is now. This could be definition "healthy economy".
    What we have now is, objectively, unhealthy economy. Spiky prices, everyone wants to get rid of gold and hoard materials, at one time crafting things is profitable, other time it's not, then it's better to sell things, then to buy things, then farm materials and other time it's better to farm quest rewards. At one time no one buys anything, other time everyone buys. Players can not navigate these crazy waters, so they simply do not engage with economy, beyond getting necessities. It's BAD. Go in AH now, check how many people post some specific thing and tell me it's characteristic of 6000 players online and order of magnitude of that number who have been online past 48hrs. Just stop with the "healthy economy" song already

14. Healthier, not healthy.

There won't ever be a healthy economy in a videogame where gold is produced out of nowhere and without regulations. Players can essentially "print money" by doing whatever, from farming drops to doing some mindless daily quest. Despite how much you might whine and moan, the servers are static, they won't keep getting new content, which creates new demands for stuff to pour gold out, while at the same time making all the stuff people like you hoard obsolete, so there are none of the natural drains the game would have and an artificial one is needed for the economy to be temporarily healthIER than the diseased state it will go back to every time.

15. Gold squish makes it healthier, albeit more squishes should happen, even monthly 10-20% would be amazingly healthy. You literally do not pay any taxes for the gold except for the auction house.

I disagree, you should not be conflating a gold squish with taxes. The auction house fees are there to keep people from abusing it. I will give a real world example you might relate to if you actually do understand economics. Trying to manipulate a market has unintended consequences, like those I mentioned.

With gold squish = Auction house madness before and after. Players hoarding items, whole guild banks of items. Players not even selling certain items. Literally destroying a part of the game many people like, which leads to some people not playing here or not wanting to buy coins and many other things.

Without gold squish = Inflation

Another solution for a gold sink would be much better, but that too will have unintended consequences. I have to add that I am speaking specifically for Lordaeron, I am sure Icecrown is much easier to get inflated prices so that also might be where some of the differences of opinions come from. I will reiterate please reconsider this, rather than an economy of scarcity and hoarding we could have an economy of abundance and trading. Yes inflated prices but everyone just earns more.

First 12345 ... Last