1. WeakAuras addon layers bug(?)

Disclaimer: I'm creating this topic just because another one where I replied got closed after my reply was deleted for some reason and I think that this information can be useful for people having the same issues with this addon.

of my billion addons makes me unable to press any buttons under the quest log
    1 of my billion addons makes me unable to press any buttons under the quest log

has anyone had the same problem? has anyone figured out a way around it?

thanks in advance for any insight on the matter.
    Well I did find out that WeakAuras is causing this to happen on my PC.
    I downloeaded my WA from here: https://github.com/Bunny67/WeakAuras-WotLK/

IDK if I should be using a different version or what is causing this issue. With all addons unloaded and only WA on, my QLog buttons stop interacting.
    After a few months of using weakauras, I can finally confirm that the weakauras addon is indeed the cause of this bug.
    In WoW, each frame has a frame strata, which tells the game which frame should be rendered above or below another frame. There are only a few strata:

• WORLD
    • BACKGROUND
    • LOW
    • MEDIUM
    • HIGH
    • DIALOG
    • FULLSCREEN
    • FULLSCREEN_DIALOG
    • TOOLTIP

with WORLD being the lowest and TOOLTIP the highest. Each strata is further divided into layers. Layers are simply identified by numbers from 0 to 10000.

(you can read more in the wiki about frame strata https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Frame_Strata)

For some reason weakauras sometimes change the order of layers in many different places. I've had problems with the Blizzard UI, like buttons that can't be pressed, and even with other addons' UI, where some frames just look like they've disappeared, but in fact, if you use the /framestack chat command, you can see that those frames are still there, but rendered below the visible frame, so can't be interacted with. At first I tried reordering the layers manually with LUA as I didn't want to uninstall weakauras, but it was tedious and not very effective or sometimes made things worse.

But few days ago I tested my auras one by one and found out that the problem is not with the addon itself (I mean freshly installed without any auras) but with the created auras and more precisely with the Frame Strata option in the Display tab. I'm not sure if this is a bug or just the way WoW works, but it happens when you select "inherited" strata for your aura. After setting all the layers to LOW, the problem disappeared. Again, I haven't tested it properly yet, but after a few days of playing it worked fine. Note that you need to set specific strata only for parent aura, all child auras can be left as "inherited".

(open image in a new tab for zoom)

2. Disclaimer: I'm creating this topic just because another one where I replied got closed after my reply was deleted for some reason and I think that this information can be useful for people having the same issues with this addon.

After a few months of using weakauras, I can finally confirm that the weakauras addon is indeed the cause of this bug.
    In WoW, each frame has a frame strata, which tells the game which frame should be rendered above or below another frame. There are only a few strata:

• WORLD
    • BACKGROUND
    • LOW
    • MEDIUM
    • HIGH
    • DIALOG
    • FULLSCREEN
    • FULLSCREEN_DIALOG
    • TOOLTIP

with WORLD being the lowest and TOOLTIP the highest. Each strata is further divided into layers. Layers are simply identified by numbers from 0 to 10000.

(you can read more in the wiki about frame strata https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Frame_Strata)

For some reason weakauras sometimes change the order of layers in many different places. I've had problems with the Blizzard UI, like buttons that can't be pressed, and even with other addons' UI, where some frames just look like they've disappeared, but in fact, if you use the /framestack chat command, you can see that those frames are still there, but rendered below the visible frame, so can't be interacted with. At first I tried reordering the layers manually with LUA as I didn't want to uninstall weakauras, but it was tedious and not very effective or sometimes made things worse.

But few days ago I tested my auras one by one and found out that the problem is not with the addon itself (I mean freshly installed without any auras) but with the created auras and more precisely with the Frame Strata option in the Display tab. I'm not sure if this is a bug or just the way WoW works, but it happens when you select "inherited" strata for your aura. After setting all the layers to LOW, the problem disappeared. Again, I haven't tested it properly yet, but after a few days of playing it worked fine. Note that you need to set specific strata only for parent aura, all child auras can be left as "inherited".

(open image in a new tab for zoom)
    This worked brilliantly, thank you. Another problem with the Weakaura is that you can't assign a specific channel to a specific chat window. The global channels just won't show up. After I turned every WA to "low and restarted the game, it fixed the problem.

This post should be stickied under the interface section, because it's a very popular addon and a very common problem.
    Edited: March 9, 2024

3. This worked brilliantly, thank you. Another problem with the Weakaura is that you can't assign a specific channel to a specific chat window. The global channels just won't show up. After I turned every WA to "low and restarted the game, it fixed the problem.

This post should be stickied under the interface section, because it's a very popular addon and a very common problem.
    I'm glad it helped you as well. This bug has been driving me nuts for months.