Table of Contents:
    1. Introduction
    2. Talents and Glyphs
    3. Gearing and Gems
    4. Comps and Teams
    5. Macro’s and Others

__________________________________________________ _________

1. Introduction

This is the first time a write a guide and with this guide I just want to share my know-how about discipline priests and pvp/arena. Im not a pro player, Im not full wrath so this guide is not 100% perfect or like everybody want to have it.

__________________________________________________ _______

Talents and Glyphs

There are different variations of specs for disc and they all fall under the categories of defensive or offensive but there are a few talents that are a must for playing disc offensively or defensively.

- Unbreakable Will
    - Improved Inner Fire
    - Inner Focus
    - Improved Power Word: Shield
    - Mental Agility
    - Mental Strength
    - Soul Warding
    - Focused Power
    - Focused Will
    - Power Infusion
    - Rapture
    - Aspiration
    - Pain Suppression
    - Borrowed Time
    - Penance
    - Healing Focus

Focused Will is very common but a few priests don't take it, its preference overall but I feel it helps a ton.

Offensive - Often called the smite spec, its exactly what you would think. This spec is meant for some more dps and it achieves that by taking talents such as searing light etc. and reducing cast times of smite.

Defensive - Focused more on living/survival. I run this spec because the extra damage is not needed in my 3v3 team. Again, a few things could change in this spec depending on your play style/gear etc. A good base spec is THIS or THIS

Again, take that as a reference. Find out what suits you best.

Glyphs - Glyph of Penance and Pain Suppression are a must. The third glyph can be any one your heart desires. Such as Flash Heal, Dispel, Inner Fire, Smite or Power Word: Shield. Minor glyphs don't matter a whole lot. I have Shadowfiend and Levitate currently.

__________________________________________________ ________

3. Gearing and Gems

The biggest decision here would be Mooncloth or Satin. Again, this is dependent on your play style. Satin would be for shorter games/ an offensive setup and mooncloth for longer games/ a defensive setup. Mixing pieces is acceptable and does work out very well for the extra resilience set bonus (Ex. 3 Piece mooncloth/2 piece satin).

For offset gear I chose haste(Alacrity) as haste can help in those tight moments getting quick heals off. I would run Alacrity/Salvation respectively. The only piece I would change is the cloak and neck.
    An easy way to get hit rating is to grab the Ascendancy version of the cloak and neck(6% hit being the cap). Hit helps with mass dispels and such.

Another stat that can be frustrating to get is spell penetration. Having enough spell pen is very hard until you reach 1800 and can get the offhand and wand. Ideally you want both the haste and spell pen offhand and you switch against teams you don't need it for. The general rule for spell pen is have around 120 - 140. People do run lower but I suggest the above.

Now time to talk about resilience. The general rule for priests is you need a lot of resil. Of course this could differ depending on comps you run etc. But you will find out that you are the focus target 90% of the time vs melee teams. 1200 resil is what I currently run and it works out very well. I have gemmed very little resil and run mooncloth/wrathful offset. To sum it up, 1000 is the minimum I'd have before I push for higher ratings.

Gems is difficult to cover.. There is no one gem per say that is the best. Gem for what you need. If your low on spell pen, throw some spell power/spell pen gems in. Or a +20 spell pen. Under no circumstances should you gem straight resil or stam. Not having enough spell pen could result in missing a crucial physic scream. Also, gem for your play style. An offensive player is not going to gem all spirit. The only exception to this rule would be gemming for haste. Haste is great for both sides of the spectrum. Moving on...

Quickly covering enchants:

- 28 spell power to gloves
    - eternal belt buckle(extra gem to belt)
    - 50 spell power/ 30 stam leg enchant
    - 15stam/minor run speed to boots
    - 63 spell power to weapon
    - 30 spell power to bracers
    - 20 resil to chest
    - 35 spell pen/haste/darkglow embroidery to cloak
    - 23 spell power/15 resil shoulder glyph(from WG)
    - 29 spell power/23 resil head glyph(from WG)

These of course are just guidelines. You can use any of your specific professions interchangeably.

4. Comps and Teams

Going to break this down into 3 sections, 2v2, 3v3, 5v5.

In 2v2, the most frequently run with partners are:

- Mage
    - Rogue
    - Feral druid
    - Warlock

I like to play with DKs and hunters but the above are what you find more often in higher brackets. You can try any class you want and it will work to a degree most likely. The only class I would avoid is warrior. Priest/Warrior does not work well at all.

In 3v3, the most frequent setups are:

Any combination of warlock/shaman/mage/priest(Called Wizard Cleave)
    Rogue/Mage/Priest(RMP)
    Warrior/Holy Paladin/Priest(Double healer Warrior or Dispel Cleave)
    Warrior/Resto Druid/Priest(Double healer Warrior)

Again, this isn't the only comps you can run. Warrior/DK/Priest or Priest/DK/Hunter works to a degree. The thing is with those comps, they are much better with a holy paladin. I will say one thing about the above comps, RMP is by far the hardest comp to run out of the ones I listed. It requires great synergy and communication.

-----

I haven't played 5v5 at all this season, so I can offer very little in terms of setups for it. I would suggest taking a look at arena junkies 5v5 listings if you are serious about 5s.

Macro's and Others

Disc priests have very little macro's. Here are the few I use.

Power Infusion yourself:
    Code:
    /target (YOURNAME HERE)
    /cast Power Infusion
    /targetlasttarget
    Useful for spam heals.
    Shackle Gargoyle:
    Code:
    /target Ebon Gargoyle
    /cast Shackle Undead
    /targetlasttarget
    Easy way to rid of those annoying gargoyles.

Desperate Prayer:
    Code:
    /cast Inner Focus
    /cast Desperate Prayer
    You can add additional things to this macro such as a healthstone or battlemasters trinket. Think of this as your OH SHI- Button.

Divine Hymn:
    Code:
    /cast Inner Focus
    /cast Divine Hymn
    Useful for a big group heal for little mana. Make sure your out of interrupt range.

Good luck in arena and pvp and thx for reading this.

2. As someone who plays disc + war I disagree. You can easily get 2500+ with disc/war. It has a bad match against rogue/mage and Shadowpriest/Fmage. But it is a hard counter to all the Hpal + war and Hpal + DK teams etc in 2v2. The offensive dispell (Of sacred shield and FOL hot) + priest dots on enemy war can put out enough additional pressure to force def cd from war. (Hpal def cd like sacrifice etc gets dispelled) . Then continue offense dispell and occasional mana burn will let you win the mana race. Most of the time though it doesn't come to that.

3. You're joking? If your warrior has smourne, maybe. But against a smourne'd warr/pala its just a matter of time before the disc flops lol

4. You're joking? If your warrior has smourne, maybe. But against a smourne'd warr/pala its just a matter of time before the disc flops lol
    Only if disc's warrior plays like a ******.

5. You're joking? If your warrior has smourne, maybe. But against a smourne'd warr/pala its just a matter of time before the disc flops lol
    How so? Care to explain how Holydin/War counters a Disc/War?
    Anything the Holydin does, the Priest has an answer for, and then some. So unless the Disc's Warrior is off in the corner somewhere jacking off, there isn't any reason why Disc/War should lose unless the Disc themselves is just bad.

Unless I'm just completely wrong in how I see the match. If you could explain it, that'd be appreciated.

6. Its true the priest has an answer in terms of dispelling sacred shield/fol, but holy paladin has the superior heals overall and if the warrior/pala team is good the warrior will never los his healer and pala will never get feared, so your options is to purely out damage them, which is not happening. Even with dispells you can't out damage them. The match goes one of three ways from my experience:
    1) The warrior/paladin team just runs me down (I have 1,4k resil and don't even get op'd/kicked) with both of them rushing and pala helping with damage (usually prettysmile does this).
    2) The warrior/paladin team goes on my warrior and we lose on mana.
    3) The warrior/pala team is autistic and war actually losses his pala and pala is out of position so we can fear.

In theory war/disc counters war/pal, but in practice they just can't out DPS.

7. holy paladin has the superior heals overall
    They don't though. The Priest has access to more instant heals (can't be interrupted). Has access to a second spell school to bait kicks so they can hard-cast heals in the warrior's face. And they have better single-target throughput unless the Holydin manages to find a chance to cast a Holy Light. The Holydin even takes a hit to their healing throughput with their primary mana regen utility (Divine Plea + Mortal Strike SUCKS). The only advantage the Holydin has up on the Priest in terms of healing output is raw mana-to-healing efficiency. None of which matters all that much, because what matters is how well can they heal under the pressure of a Warrior and whatever damage their partner can put out. Holydin flat-out loses here because they only have one spell school and they have next to no damage output compared to the Priest.

warrior/pala team is good the warrior will never los his healer and pala will never get feared
    The same could be said for the Warrior/Disc as well, could it not? Even easier, in fact, due to Fear Ward and the inability of the Warrior/Holydin to offensive dispel.

so your options is to purely out damage them, which is not happening. Even with dispells you can't out damage them.
    How so? Going to let the Holydin sit on the Priest and stack up SoV and use Holy Shock for damage? That shouldn't ever happen. In which case, Smites, Penances, Mana Burn, etc. should all be applying more pressure than the Holydin. Offensive dispels on FoL hot and Sacred Shield is also effectively worth similar as doing damage because you are preventing Holydin healing and absorbs. This is the crux of the difference between the two comps. The Holydin is more defensive in nature, whereas the Disc has significantly greater damage capability. That's the point of playing with a Disc instead of a Holydin.

1) The warrior/paladin team just runs me down (I have 1,4k resil and don't even get op'd/kicked) with both of them rushing and pala helping with damage (usually prettysmile does this).
    How is the Paladin helping with damage? Hitting you with his Judgement wet noodle? Offensive Holy Shocks? Hard-casting Exorcism? Punish them for it, damnit. The Holydin is not nearly as good at being offensive as you, take advantage of that.

2) The warrior/paladin team goes on my warrior and we lose on mana.
    You will always lose on mana if you let it happen. If you run oom, then either you're not doing your job (quickly enough), or the team you're fighting out-classes you.

3) The warrior/pala team is autistic and war actually losses his pala and pala is out of position so we can fear.
    Force the Warrior to kick your Mind Control. Then Smite/Holy Fire/Penance the Paladin to your heart's content. Fear is not your only CC.

In theory war/disc counters war/pal, but in practice they just can't out DPS.
    ???
    Holy Shock has a cd. Exorcism hits like a wet noodle and has a cd. Judgement hits like a wet noodle and has a cd. There is zero reason the Holydin should be applying more pressure than you.

8. Aside from the fact 9/10 of them have smourne and we have only shadow's edge, but irrespective of that - what you said is completely correct, in theory. And yes, they pretty much do have the superior heals when pala can stand max range and spam FoL crits. But in practice, it just doesn't happen. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. How many disc/warriors do you see on the ladder compared to warrior/holy? I've played this comp for some time now and I do win holy pala/warriors, but they need to screw up or lose on RNG. The top 10 guys don't do that.

9. Yeah gl casting other schools to bait, specially mc. Welcome to 2019 meta, if ur pri ur ****ing dead in 3 globals after ps.

:edit The new pillar "fix" is immense help aswell, dont even need to los my paladin anymore to hit you behind pillar, LMAO

10. "{1) The warrior/paladin team just runs me down (I have 1,4k resil and don't even get op'd/kicked) with both of them rushing and pala helping with damage (usually prettysmile does this)."

If they are both on you that's a free fear on both. Warrior will zerk. Which gives you the option to warrior fear 10 seconds later if you want. Maybe bait a trink into a mind control. Maybe not, maybe he just gets feared and you catch up on heals and dispells. Maybe pally trinkets to clense. Throw in a mana burn etc.

I run 1406 resil and don't get eaten by holypally/war. You have to apply pressure though. You must offensive dispell enough to get sacred shield off while he's axing you in the face with smourne. If you don't. You'll lose for sure. It's a balance act. Bauble of True blood helps a lot here. This doesn't apply to the hybrid ret/healer + war. They will eat you.

"so your options is to purely out damage them, which is not happening. Even with dispells you can't out damage them."

You can severely out damage them. Two equally geared warriors wearing bis gear fight. You as a disc get rid of the sacred shield + shield your warrior. You reduce taste for blood procs on the enemy warrior while also giving your warrior more (By not letting sacred shield absorb them) Additionally, the sacred shield proc is worth a lot of healing. Especially with the HOT on it. Removing that puts a ton of pressure on the enemy warrior. Add in some basic *** dots. Maybe a mind blast and shadow word death and you force the enemy warrior to retreat or cd every time. Combo this with a warrior fear on pally. Maybe a priest fear if you are lucky and you can do some serious damage to the warrior.

"3) The warrior/pal team goes on my warrior and we lose on mana."

That's where you win on mana. Dispell every sacred shield. Shield your war. Apply dots. Assist dps + remove any sacred shields and you'll win on mana. When enemy warrior can't get taste for blood procs and yours can because none of them are blocked by sacred shield. (Which is mana intensive to reapply for paladin) That's where you win the mana fight. As long as you fear ward your shadowfiend when it comes out and dispell the HoJ on it.

Oh, I should mention you have to have the mp5 offset and at least 2/3 absolution to reduce dispell magic mana cost to win this. With haste offset you'll still oom first. Most of the top disc priests run the mp5 offset if you check the ladders. Top 100 anyways. Haste is great for 3s.
    Edited: January 16, 2020