Nocaden

[Guide] Enh shaman guide (pve)

Basic information

Enhancement shaman is a melee class, which uses magic spells as part of dmg (it is written later on, what kind of spells we use). Due to this fact you will need a melee cap of 8% and a spell cap of 17%. There is also a 26% hit cap not to miss with ur off-hand weapon, but its not worth.
    In order to fullfill our hit cap of 17% (or 14% if u have Shadow priest with Misery and Balance druid with Improved Faerie Fire) u need 368 hit rating.
    The next important thing is expertise. You will read that the hard cap is 26, which in my opinion, is on Molten untrue. I have 16 expertise and my attacks are dodged by 1-1.5%, thats means, out of 100swings u „miss“ only once…

Skills

These skills are used by enh shamies, they will be in ur „rotation“ so remember them:

1.Stormstrike – debuff on boss which lets u deal 20% (or 28% with glyph) more dmg by earth spells
    2.Ligtning Bolt/Chain lifting – our 3rd biggest dps ability, with mealstrom stack till 5, its an instant cast
    3.Lava Lash – hits with off-hand as fire dmg
    4.Spirit wolves – our 51 tallent ability, releases 2 wolves which do dmg and u can use some of thein abilities
    5.Earth shock – instant spell dmg
    6.Flame shock – instant spell dmg with a dot effect for 15sec
    7.Fire nova-when fire totem is up, releases a circle of fire dmg
    8.Magma/searing totem – totems which do aoe or point dmg
    9.Weapon imbues: Windfury (WF) and Flametounge (FT)
    10.Shamanistic rage – our ability to gain mana, with 2p T10 u have 12% bonus dmg increase

Talents

There are different tallent trees, but the most used is Talent tree.

In the beggining I recommend to put more talents into mana gaining abilities and not using the full rotation.

What weapons to use? What imbues to use?

Use 2 slow weapons. The reasons are listed below:
    1. WF is a static 20% chance to give two extra attacks with increased AP. The slower the weapon the more effect you get from that AP.
    2. WF have a shared 3sec cooldown (as of Patch 2.1x), so there is a 1.5sec barrier, if your slower then 1.5sec you have a chance to WF on every second blow, if your faster then 1.5sec you will have a chance for WF every third blow. If your OH procs, your mainhand can't proc for 3 secs. If you take flurry in account 2.2speed weapons are the absolut fastes you'd ever whant to wield.
    3. If you have a fast OH, it will most likley swing before your mainhand when your 3sec cooldown is up, and you have more chance to waste WF's on ofhand.
    4. Stormstrike every 10th second gives much more effect over time with slow weapons.
    5. Shamanistic Rage and everything else that is PPM (proc per minute) works a lot better with slower weapons that have speed increase.
    6. All of the above goes for both mainhand and ofhand. SLOW/SLOW is the only way to go.

As for imbues, use WF/WF, you may read that on retail servers they use WF/FT, but since this is not a retail server, but Molten, it has different mechanics here, for more u can visit the bugtracker where it is properly explained.

Rotation

As you should know, enh shamies dont have a rotation, its rather called „priority system“. It means that which ever biggest dps ability is available, you cast/use it…the list which follows is our priority system:

1.Cast a Lightning Bolt when you have 5 Maelstrom weapon stacks - Chain Lightning does less dmg against a single target as it doesn't scale as well. For multiple target fights then naturally using Chain Lightning will be higher dps.

2.Cast Lightning Shield if there are no orbs left on you.

3.Cast Feral Spirit if the ability is off CD. (Use your own judgement for timing with Bloodlust/Heroism)

4.Cast Shamanistic Rage if the ability is off CD and u have 2p T10 set bonus

5.Cast Magma totem if the target is not moving

6.Cast a Stormstrike if there are no charges left on the target.

7.Cast a Flame Shock if there is no Flame Shock debuff on target.

8.Cast an Earth shock whenever its off cooldown and the above are not available.

9. Cast a Stormstrike whenever its off cooldown and MW hasn't got 5

10.Cast Fire Nova regardless of single target or AOE targets.

11.Cast a Lava Lash whenever its off cooldown and none of the above abilities are available.

12.Refresh your Lightning Shield if low number of orbs remaining (2 or less).

13.Totem refresh - if all else is on cooldown take the opportunity, if required, to refresh your totems (this actually never happens :-)

It may sound complicated, but u will get use to it. Here is the „opening“ rotation:

1. Use Flame shock while running to boss
    2. Put down ur totems near the boss
    3. Use Stormstrike
    4. Use Earth shock
    5. By now u should have 5 maelstrom, cast Lighting bolt/Chain lighting, if not use Fire Nova
    6. Use Fire Nova
    Between steps 3-4 or 4-5 pop up your wolves, they scale and stay with ur AP when u release them, by now, all ur trinkets should be in use.

If you have mana problems, dont use Magma totem and Fire Nova at all! Instead use Searing totem (if u have another shaman in raid who uses Flametounge).

Glyphs

Major:
    1. Glyph of stormstrike-gives u +8% earth dmg increase to stormstrike (together 28%)
    2. Feral spirits- 30% increase of AP to wolves from ur AP
    3. here u can choose which glyph u want to use, its either Glyph of Flame shock (60% increase crit dmg), Lighting shield (20% increase of dmg done by orbs), or Lighting Bolt (4% dmg increase)

Gems

When u have T9 set stack AP or AP + haste depending on socket bonuses, when u have 4p T10 set, restack to full haste, or haste + ap, depending on socket bonuses. Use Nightmare gem (+10 to all stats) in a blue socket to match the requirements for Meta gem.

Why should you use haste when u have 4p T10 set? more haste = more swings = more maelstrom = bigger chance to proc 4p T10 bonus.

I have seen shamans which stack crit or agility. DONT DO THAT. Agility doesnt give u as much AP and crit is useless since with T9 set u have like 35-40% melee and 30% spell.

Enchants

I am not going to list all the enchants, basically u need to enchant everything with AP or haste and +10 stat on chest.

As for weapon enchants, there are 2 options to choose from, its either 1. Berserker + Berserker or 2. Berserker + Black magic. I think its up to you what you choose, personally I have Berserker + Berserker, it is now fixed on Molten and it stacks together, which is nice when u can have 800 AP increase :-) But if you are using Berserker + Black Magic, its also fine.

There is also a third option, its Moongose + Berserker. But I dont recommend it. Mongoose is 120 Agi, with buffs such as Blessing of Kings and Unleashed rage, you get cca 150 AP, if you compare it to Berserker, 400 AP (440 with buffs), its 300 AP less...and since you dont need crit, its useless.

If you have any comments, just write them down and I will edit the topic from time to time. Thank you

Nocaden
    Comment on: "Use Nighttime gem (it gives u +10 to all stats) in blue socket."
    Don't waste a blue socket with a nighttime gem. Use an eternal belt buckle on your 60 EOFs belt, and put it there. The blue socket spot can be easily used better with a blue/violet haste gem.

If you put Nighttime in blue socket, u will get the item bonus and u wont have to worry about blue socket, since Nighttime matches the color of the socket used...its better to put AP, haste, or AP + haste in eternal belt buckle.

Thx for the info about slow weapons and also for your support :-)

Nocaden
    I think it depends, its ur own choice, enhSim says berserker + wild magic is better, berserker + berserker is a bit weaker, but only by a small amout....

thedarkbobo
    What about gemming AP or Ap mix haste ?

5. Well thanks for a freath guide - You have everything in here so it makes some mysteries clear. The thing with WF+WF is also enlightning as the abilities tell You something different. Also the slow weapons tip sounds nice. After playing an ele and resto pvp shmmy i decided to go enh pve and after spending a lot on money on the gear i decided to take a look on the tips. I used the enh talent tree to lvl up, but didn't notice some of the relations You mentioned above. Great thanks again! :)

6. Well good guide, few mistakes which can confuse.
    Its Nightmare tear not Nighttime gem, and its Black magic not Wild magic, but everything else is great.

Nocaden
    thx, edited :-)

8. what about enchanting berserk/mongoose?

Nocaden
    Mongoose is 120agi, with buffs such as Blessing of Kings and Unleashed rage, u get cca 150 AP, if you compare it to berserker, 400 AP (440 with buffs), its 300 AP less...and since u dont need crit, its useless

10. Mongoose is 120agi, with buffs such as Blessing of Kings and Unleashed rage, u get cca 150 AP, if you compare it to berserker, 400 AP (440 with buffs), its 300 AP less...and since u dont need crit, its useless
    a lot of mongoose's value was in the percentage based melee haste
    but that was nerfed and set to a fixed value in 3.3

Nocaden
    Thats why its not worth it any more...those 120 Agi dont give that much benefits as Berserker or Black magic

12. Comment on: "Use Nighttime gem (it gives u +10 to all stats) in blue socket."
    Don't waste a blue socket with a nighttime gem. Use an eternal belt buckle on your 60 EOFs belt, and put it there. The blue socket spot can be easily used better with a blue/violet haste gem.

If you put Nighttime in blue socket, u will get the item bonus and u wont have to worry about blue socket, since Nighttime matches the color of the socket used...its better to put AP, haste, or AP + haste in eternal belt buckle.

Thx for the info about slow weapons and also for your support :-)
    nightmare tear is best in blue socket
    it gives 30 attack power + spell crit + melee crit + bonus AP / agi

litatwish
    so is berserk + berserk better then berserk + black magic?? for PvP and PvE which is better?

Spanko
    so is berserk + berserk better then berserk + black magic?? for PvP and PvE which is better?
    Double berserk doesn't proc I think. So get berserk on your MH, and black magic on your off.

15. Double berserk doesn't proc I think. So get berserk on your MH, and black magic on your off.
    Dual berserking procs !
    I tested :p

123 ... Last