1. May 19, 2015  

Mop realm development

First, I would like to say that I’m about to write this post in good faith. Not to judge u, but to help and point out obvious mistakes so we can all put in our opinion and help out on development and improvement. I don’t want any “bad blood” or any tension here between Warmane and myself or the community. This is something I feel majority would agree, and u should be aware of too. So let’s begin:

I think it’s safe to say that situation on MoP is not looking good. Everyone can agree on that. I see your efforts and changelogs, I’m not saying u’re not doing anything, but I’m saying (and I’m sorry for it, but it needs to be said) your strategy of development is completely wrong. What’s happening here is that u take on too many things at the same time, and not prioritizing on important things. This way we are almost not moving up at all, or we are moving but very slow and hardly noticeable. There is a saying: THE HOUSE IS BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP. It’s pure and simple, and u should go by it too cause right now u’re just stretched all over the place.

What I’m trying to say is that you should stop wasting your time on things like Pat Buttles, Raid Finders, New Dungeons, new bug tracker, new forum and website looks, and so on. Those things take time, some more, some less, but they all do, and what is the point of heaving them, when the server is so unstable, and classes are so bugged nobody can truly enjoy any of the content already released. I am being serious here: you should drop all development and instead, you should go back to beginning – Back to basics!

FIRST THING: Gather entire manpower and work on server stability and lag issues. Doesn’t matter how long it will take, EVERYTHING ELSE SHOULD WAIT FOR THIS TO BE FIXED. It is A MUST and No.1. PRIORITY!!! I don’t need new raid or new BG when I’m gonna have 20x DCs per night, or if my spells will hit 1.5 sec AFTER I cast it. I can’t enjoy on my char development if I’ll have constant rollbacks on my hard work, and character development is a hard work and time consuming work we all put in. I BELIEVE EVERIONE WITH A BIT OF SANITY CAN AGREE ON THIS.

Once, and ONLY ONCE u have rectified the above, you can say: OK, now we have really good stability and high performance on the server, now we can work on the next most important thing: CLASS FIXES. Maybe we don’t have much of the content available, but we want our community to have as close as possible Blizzlike experience on the the content that is already there. So next few weeks we gather entire manpower and we focus on clearing up bugtracker (spells, talents, tier-set bonuses etc.). It is hard to expect u or any other private server will ever be 100% as retail, but to be as close as possible. I believe if u focus only on that completely, you can get it done fairly fast.

Once the class fixes are done, you can say: Ok, now we have high performance server where all the classes and game mechanics works pretty much as intended, both us and community should be proud and happy. We are still lacking on content, but on the one we already have, ppl can really enjoy and spend their time, frustration free, and we can now focus on bringing them up the rest of the end-level content.

Now on the end level content, it is obvious Instances are by far harder to develop, so u should either divide in 2 teams (PVE and PVP team), OR (and I believe this is better option) u should completely focus on PVP content, as if you do, it shouldn’t take too long to release everything. Arenas are fairly simple to script, and we all know BGs were more or less working even in the state they were right after the wipe when we had them for a day or two. I think from everything u are developing, this should be the least challenging for you, it should be done under just couple of weeks.

After all of that is accomplished, finally you would be able to say; Ok we have high performance server, strong and solid gameplay, full PVP content so now we can take on the hardest part and develop the rest of PVE instances with full focus and without any pressure. Not far from now we should have full diversity of content available.

Now, I really hope PVE community will not take this as If I don’t care for them and want their part of the game to be the last on the list, I’m just trying to look at things objectively: Instances and bosses are the hardest thing to script and develop, and right now Warmane is using too much resources on developing that, while everything else is suffering: Server is instable, DCs, Lag and rollbacks are constantly present, majority of classes is heavily bugged so what is the point of heaving 10 raids if none of them is enjoyable and up to a standard.

To conclude with this… Strategy is always the most important thing in any task. This is how I see things, maybe I’m wrong, but u can’t say yours (Warmane’s) way is right neither, cause mine is not tested yet, and your results are obvious as the situation is quite bad on MoP realms. Pls don’t take this as attack on any of the stuff, this is written in good faith, at least it’s an idea worth considering. And, please don’t close this thread neither, let the community input their opinion and suggestions too, and try to listen to your community, I’m sure there will be valid inputs.

2. May 19, 2015  
    ......THE HOUSE IS BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP......
    very nicely put, I agree

3. May 19, 2015  
    I totally agree with all what you said !

4. May 19, 2015  
    You Made some really good points and I agree with most of them. But the dev team is not only 1 or 2 people. They are more and I trust them when they say they are doing everything they can about fixing the stability issues and the DCs. You can not have every resource focused on scripting and fixing only1or 2 aspects of the game at any time. Because it takes time, and some things in these 1or 2 aspects take much more time than others. And during that time I don't think Warmane could want to allow the PVE aspect to be left behind. I know a lot of people playing here who don't care at all about PVP and would rather have some broken talents/spells or not well-scripted boss encounters instead of having to do PVP or running the same "working" instance over and over again but with 100% working spells and talents. (myself included, I pvp just because for now you NEED pvp to get some descent DPS gear for a raid or RDF or JP farm) As for the crashes and lag - I havent played on a serer (and I played on a lot) where there are no instability and crashes after patching or adding some new content.

5. May 19, 2015  
    If you check the bug tracker, you can view which issues are being fixed. Devs also have to go through the painstaking process of confirming some bugs or fixing poorly categorized issues because other people are incompetent in reports.

6. May 20, 2015  
    If the server instability and lag issues were there only after updates, even for a week, but then finaly fixed and stable, I wouldn't say a word. But nobody can deny that it si constantly present for 5 months now. I love Molten which is now Wormane, and I have been a member for years on several different accounts. Some I lost, some I still have, but we never had situation this bad on any relm. I beleive WOTLK relms were by far the best ones among all private servers. Therfore, I know this is not the Molten/Warmane standard, and neither them (developers) nor us (comunity) should sattle for this.

U say, PVE comunity would not agree to wait. Thing is this way PVE comunity is not gething good things neither. There are releises, no question about that, but broken ones. Everything lags like crazy. If I have 2 sec lag in Arena playing 2s, I can aimagine how big lag they have in 25 man raid. Cmon guys. If they did things periodicly like I said, fixing the important thinngs like stability and applying class fixes first, they would get to end content development pretty fast. Probubly within a month or so. This way like Bilbo in LOTR said: they are like butter spread on too much bread. They are just pinching milion things here and there, but overall we are not moving fast enough, and comunity saffers big time, cause VERY FEW things work as intended.

If nothing else, I ask them to focus AT LEAST on performance and stability instead of saying we are aware of the issues and we are working on it. I beleive part of the team does, but it's not gething any better. If needed, drop everything else untill u fix performance issue.
    Edited: May 20, 2015

7. May 20, 2015  
    OP is so right, after months of server instability I'm beginning to think maybe there's something better out there

8. May 20, 2015  
    Completly agree.

I honestly wish they would shutdown Cata, its a waste of resources to develop IMO.

9. May 20, 2015  
    Completly agree.

I honestly wish they would shutdown Cata, its a waste of resources to develop IMO.
    I don't think that's a good option now that they've scripted a lot in it.

10. May 20, 2015  
    First, I would like to say that I’m about to write this post in good faith. Not to judge u, but to help and point out obvious mistakes so we can all put in our opinion and help out on development and improvement. I don’t want any “bad blood” or any tension here between Warmane and myself or the community. This is something I feel majority would agree, and u should be aware of too. So let’s begin:

I think it’s safe to say that situation on MoP is not looking good. Everyone can agree on that. I see your efforts and changelogs, I’m not saying u’re not doing anything, but I’m saying (and I’m sorry for it, but it needs to be said) your strategy of development is completely wrong. What’s happening here is that u take on too many things at the same time, and not prioritizing on important things. This way we are almost not moving up at all, or we are moving but very slow and hardly noticeable. There is a saying: THE HOUSE IS BUILT FROM THE GROUND UP. It’s pure and simple, and u should go by it too cause right now u’re just stretched all over the place.

What I’m trying to say is that you should stop wasting your time on things like Pat Buttles, Raid Finders, New Dungeons, new bug tracker, new forum and website looks, and so on. Those things take time, some more, some less, but they all do, and what is the point of heaving them, when the server is so unstable, and classes are so bugged nobody can truly enjoy any of the content already released. I am being serious here: you should drop all development and instead, you should go back to beginning – Back to basics!

FIRST THING: Gather entire manpower and work on server stability and lag issues. Doesn’t matter how long it will take, EVERYTHING ELSE SHOULD WAIT FOR THIS TO BE FIXED. It is A MUST and No.1. PRIORITY!!! I don’t need new raid or new BG when I’m gonna have 20x DCs per night, or if my spells will hit 1.5 sec AFTER I cast it. I can’t enjoy on my char development if I’ll have constant rollbacks on my hard work, and character development is a hard work and time consuming work we all put in. I BELIEVE EVERIONE WITH A BIT OF SANITY CAN AGREE ON THIS.

Once, and ONLY ONCE u have rectified the above, you can say: OK, now we have really good stability and high performance on the server, now we can work on the next most important thing: CLASS FIXES. Maybe we don’t have much of the content available, but we want our community to have as close as possible Blizzlike experience on the the content that is already there. So next few weeks we gather entire manpower and we focus on clearing up bugtracker (spells, talents, tier-set bonuses etc.). It is hard to expect u or any other private server will ever be 100% as retail, but to be as close as possible. I believe if u focus only on that completely, you can get it done fairly fast.

Once the class fixes are done, you can say: Ok, now we have high performance server where all the classes and game mechanics works pretty much as intended, both us and community should be proud and happy. We are still lacking on content, but on the one we already have, ppl can really enjoy and spend their time, frustration free, and we can now focus on bringing them up the rest of the end-level content.

Now on the end level content, it is obvious Instances are by far harder to develop, so u should either divide in 2 teams (PVE and PVP team), OR (and I believe this is better option) u should completely focus on PVP content, as if you do, it shouldn’t take too long to release everything. Arenas are fairly simple to script, and we all know BGs were more or less working even in the state they were right after the wipe when we had them for a day or two. I think from everything u are developing, this should be the least challenging for you, it should be done under just couple of weeks.

After all of that is accomplished, finally you would be able to say; Ok we have high performance server, strong and solid gameplay, full PVP content so now we can take on the hardest part and develop the rest of PVE instances with full focus and without any pressure. Not far from now we should have full diversity of content available.

Now, I really hope PVE community will not take this as If I don’t care for them and want their part of the game to be the last on the list, I’m just trying to look at things objectively: Instances and bosses are the hardest thing to script and develop, and right now Warmane is using too much resources on developing that, while everything else is suffering: Server is instable, DCs, Lag and rollbacks are constantly present, majority of classes is heavily bugged so what is the point of heaving 10 raids if none of them is enjoyable and up to a standard.

To conclude with this… Strategy is always the most important thing in any task. This is how I see things, maybe I’m wrong, but u can’t say yours (Warmane’s) way is right neither, cause mine is not tested yet, and your results are obvious as the situation is quite bad on MoP realms. Pls don’t take this as attack on any of the stuff, this is written in good faith, at least it’s an idea worth considering. And, please don’t close this thread neither, let the community input their opinion and suggestions too, and try to listen to your community, I’m sure there will be valid inputs.
    Nicely said, but I can't agree on gathering all man power to do only one thing. It's not possible because there are groups of devs, each specialized in something. If you're willing to bring all into one thing, it will be a waste of time for many devs to learn working on another topic other than theirs, for example you can't bring someone who's fixing classes bugs to script raids or vice versa.

11. May 20, 2015  
    DC are because of updates like new content release, probably some scripts are crashing servers. It was like this in the past and today, nothing new, they will fix it sooner or later.
    I hope new bugtracker will help with communication between community and developers.

12. May 20, 2015  
    DC are because of updates like new content release, probably some scripts are crashing servers. It was like this in the past and today, nothing new, they will fix it sooner or later.
    I hope new bugtracker will help with communication between community and developers.
    I wish it was there only after updates man. DC are eve tolerable up to a certain point, but lag... :(