1. GS

So, I am a retail hardcore WOTLK raider and I have noticed something about Warmane. While GS was always a thing in WOTLK, it seems on this private server it is over emphasized. I mean, asking for 5k gs for a rdf heroic or ToC 10n? Everything is based around GS and nothing else. If anything I would have expected a private server to care more about retail experience over GS, because a private server is probably going to get veteran players for the most part. I understand not wanting to wipe on any raid if you can help it, but under the assumption that,

A. Most players on a private WOTLK server are previous players with retail raiding experience
    B. Asking for a GS that would require you to have gear that is higher then the content in question

These two things seem to, logically, dictate a server that wouldn't be asking for a ridiculous GS number. Obviously raid leaders are entitled to ask for whatever they deem suitable for their needs, but it seems to me the system is set up to make gearing near impossible for a fresh 80.

Before I get the rush of people telling me all the alternative ways to gear up (remember I am very experienced in the gearing up methods, I know you can still run rdf, farm emblems and mats for crafted gear, etc) I want direct answers to why the servers are backwards like this.

2. There aren't as many veteran players as you think, nor former retail players. At least not on Deathwing/Ragnaros, where a large part of the population (if not the majority) are kids with poor English and cognitive skills who can't (sometimes even refuse to) learn fight mechanics or how to play their class.

ToC 10/25 is a special case, it can be difficult even for vastly overgeared raids when half of the raid refuses to move from poison pools. I remember trying to start a ToC 10n, requiring "only" around 4,5k gs - for almost an hour I couldn't find a single decent tank who would know how to tank ToC 10 or at least speak English to be taught tactics.

Then there's a case when someone at 3,5k starts a ToC 10n, demanding 5k gs min. Or 5,8k + LK achievement for a ICC 10n pug. People love to be carried.

Yesterday I saw a 5k gs ret paladin using Seal of Light to dps throughout Forge of Souls, ignoring any advice, and later a 6k gs DK, specced as frost DPS, who hasn't used a single frost ability except Icy Touch throughout Pit of Saron run. And these are far from exceptions.

No wonder that with such a player base people either demand ridiculous gearscore values to ensure their raid's success, or genuinely believe that ToC 10n is impossible to complete under 5k gs.

Experienced and veteran players have decent guilds to run with, the rest struggle with pugs. On the other hand, it's not easy to find a decent (!) guild that doesn't require recruits to be already geared for ICC/RS heroics.

3. The answer is the same as for BG's with 0 GS people wondering around. Let's say you have 9 man with u and u're the 10th, but thy are all 0 GS and u're the only one with some gear. Yes the are there, and yes they are 9, but worthless 9.

Nobody likes to carry... unless its a grun or some close friends, but other than that, higher GS=higher DMG=faster run, so, yeah, I'd chose a geared char over an ungeared pug anytime.

Ps: yes, i saw high geared pugs that don't play well at all their class.

Cheers

4. There aren't as many veteran players as you think, nor former retail players. At least not on Deathwing/Ragnaros, where a large part of the population (if not the majority) are kids with poor English and cognitive skills who can't (sometimes even refuse to) learn fight mechanics or how to play their class.

ToC 10/25 is a special case, it can be difficult even for vastly overgeared raids when half of the raid refuses to move from poison pools. I remember trying to start a ToC 10n, requiring "only" around 4,5k gs - for almost an hour I couldn't find a single decent tank who would know how to tank ToC 10 or at least speak English to be taught tactics.

Then there's a case when someone at 3,5k starts a ToC 10n, demanding 5k gs min. Or 5,8k + LK achievement for a ICC 10n pug. People love to be carried.

Yesterday I saw a 5k gs ret paladin using Seal of Light to dps throughout Forge of Souls, ignoring any advice, and later a 6k gs DK, specced as frost DPS, who hasn't used a single frost ability except Icy Touch throughout Pit of Saron run. And these are far from exceptions.

No wonder that with such a player base people either demand ridiculous gearscore values to ensure their raid's success, or genuinely believe that ToC 10n is impossible to complete under 5k gs.

Experienced and veteran players have decent guilds to run with, the rest struggle with pugs. On the other hand, it's not easy to find a decent (!) guild that doesn't require recruits to be already geared for ICC/RS heroics.
    Thank you for your reply. I haven't had enough time on this server to really come to the conclusion you have so I'm glad you could clear that up for me. I am part of a guild that requires lower then the average gs that is asked for in global. That being said, I ran ToC 10n with a 3.4k gs, which I felt was a little small for it, but we didn't have any difficulties and got through the whole thing in an hour. The guild seems decent, but I don't have the gear to do most of the raids yet, I'm sitting at just under 4.5k, though I've been told already I heal PoS and FoS better then most over geared healers do.

5. Thank you for your reply. I haven't had enough time on this server to really come to the conclusion you have so I'm glad you could clear that up for me. I am part of a guild that requires lower then the average gs that is asked for in global. That being said, I ran ToC 10n with a 3.4k gs, which I felt was a little small for it, but we didn't have any difficulties and got through the whole thing in an hour. The guild seems decent, but I don't have the gear to do most of the raids yet, I'm sitting at just under 4.5k, though I've been told already I heal PoS and FoS better then most over geared healers do.
    From my own experience I'd say that is the hardest part of gearing up, when you already have the FoS/PoS norm gear but aren't wanted in raids yet - you are pretty much left with the option of farming PoS for emblems, which is as funny as watching stupid old family videos. I have a frost DK tank stuck at that phase and I'm not willing to even log him because of the horrid prospect of spamming the same rotation over and over again, while "damage dealers" struggle to match my tankish 1,8k DPS.

6. From my own experience I'd say that is the hardest part of gearing up, when you already have the FoS/PoS norm gear but aren't wanted in raids yet - you are pretty much left with the option of farming PoS for emblems, which is as funny as watching stupid old family videos. I have a frost DK tank stuck at that phase and I'm not willing to even log him because of the horrid prospect of spamming the same rotation over and over again, while "damage dealers" struggle to match my tankish 1,8k DPS.
    Yes. Although another option is to farm mats for as many 264 crafted items as you can get. I have already gotten my 264 pants and 264 boots made. The guy who made my 264 boots was generous and gave me a 264 belt as well. I am now about to get my stupid 155 bracers upgraded to the crafted 245 ones. So crafting can go far in getting you over that slump. :)