1. Through Fire [Closed RP Thread]

---------- (( OOC )) ----------

Suzy made me do it. I swear. She dared me to do it. I'm too spineless and I have too much social anxiety to start something like this on my own.

Anyways. This is a closed RP between myself and SunMace. Bystanders, please don't respond to this thread in-character, because you will be ignored, and you will gain a negative approval rating from everyone who clearly frickin' knows better. Otherwise, feel free to read and enjoy.

(Also, Trist, this starter kind of got away from me, omg, please don't feel pressured to match my length, I'm so sorry, please forgive)

----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------

She didn't sleep.

She didn't let herself sleep. Not for a moment. Not for an instant. Days had passed since their standoff in Loch Modan, and together they'd forded through treacherous terrain and hostile territory, with only each other to guard and protect one another. And still Lysarra refused to let her guard down. She was forced to travel with Trist'in. But he couldn't force her to trust him.

She'd given that to him willingly, despite all her instinct warning her against it... And look at where that choice got her.

The Burning Steppes was no place for a couple of wayward elves, but south was where she needed to go, and this is where south took her. It was too perilous a risk to travel at night, so despite how dangerous it was to stop, they had little choice in the matter. At the very least, Lys would have no problem taking watch, what with her pressing insomnia quickening her blood and keeping her eyes open... And fixed on the elf that rested beside her.

She could kill him. Lys always kept a dagger in her pouch, always ready to protect herself in some way if magic failed. One swift stab, and she'd be rid of him. These were the thoughts that echoed in her mind during any moments of solitude, burning with anger and hatred at how he'd betrayed and manipulated her. How she let herself be betrayed and manipulated! Any time she closed her eyes, she could see his smug little smile as he held her fast and bound her wrists, she could feel his touch as he picked her up and pushed her around... She could feel his breath on her face, as he spoke her father's name, and told her of how he planned on turning her in. She could kill him. Every time she thought of it, she was reminded of how much she wanted to kill him.

But, at the same time... she didn't. Not really. Lys had only ever killed one elf before - and it came without pleasure. So long as Trist'in kept his word and kept his nose out of her business, he could keep his life. Lys had no interest in death. All she wanted was to live...

And so far, she had to begrudgingly admit, Trist'in had done a fantastic job helping her out in that regard. Hate him though she may, Lys knew she'd never survive the journey on her own. Moreover, she was fairly certain he'd never have survived half their trials without her, either. So perhaps there was a mutual respect there. Somewhere. Maybe. At the very least, it was another incentive to not kill him - and perhaps the same went for him.

In the darkest hours of the evening, Lys conjured a small flame in the palm of her hand, and watched it dart and dance between her fingers. Something to occupy her eyes and mind, lest she succumb to sleep's sweet embrace. Still, she kept watching the other elf out of the corner of her eye, waiting to see if he stirred or slept...

2. ---------- (( OOC )) ----------

Suzy made me do it. I swear. She dared me to do it. I'm too spineless and I have too much social anxiety to start something like this on my own.
    Lies lol.

But yea.. this isnt a bad idea but if its closed. PM him :P

3. Lies- this isnt a bad idea but if its closed. PM him :P
    ((Didnt you read the 1st post, woman!? Get outta here. :P))

((----DISCLAIMER---
    All knowledge shared in this forum should be treated as OOC (out of character) knowledge and not be used in ANY roleplay UNLESS you were part of it.
    I trust we all understand this or I would suggest this be done ingame or pm. ))

((Since you're making this public knowledge, and this could be pretty fun... though I think we should let Sylv in at a later date... and let onlookers post 2 cents as it appeases me to hear 'said' small audiance... let me remind 'Lys' and our 'adoring audience' why she should hate Tristyn so much.))
    Spoiler: Show

((One last note, I play a pretty good villian but if I dont earn it, there's no joy in it for me. :P Feel free to hate. It only gets better!))

Tristyn slept- quite peacefully in fact, laying flat on the stone ground of the dwarven bunker they had 'borrowed' for the night.
    The dwarves were also kind enough to 'accommodate' their appetites with all their supplies. Even drinks to get the young Lightseeker to loosen her lips and a strong taste to mask his magic-dampening drugs.

Yes... Tristyn had done this before...

A c*cky grin twisted onto his lips; an ever present reminder that this knife-eared bastard had a plan and thus far he believed it to be working to his advantage.

Somewhere in Terrin mill, in the next few days, Sylvannar would be receiving a letter...
    He smiled in his sleep thinking how perfectly this had all come together and they weren't even at the payout yet!

He could imagine the expression on Sylvannars face... that gut-wrenching feeling when Sylvannar, the fool had finally pieced together what the next step in the plans were...

This was better than leaving him upsidown in a tree stump some years ago.

Tristyn dreamt of counting 20 gold coins. A meager price for all the trouble they would have to go through, not to mention partnering up with Sylvannar weather it was for or against his will, Tristyn still hated his guts... still, this would do. The gloating itself was worth it.

A small flicker of Lys's flame lights woke him from his slumber. He peered behind him at Lys, yawning a-little-too-confidently as he smirked. "You really outta get some shut eye, blondie." His voice held a cruel undertone of tease. "Gotta get ya' there alive ta' get my coin." Hoping this little fact would put her at ease but if that didn't do it... "Course' if ya fall asleep on the road tomorrow I'll just cradle ya' in my arms as we ride into the sunset." He winked with a devious grin.

Deep in his subconscious he knew a mage was trouble, what with 'magikz' and all. She'd cut down just as many dwarves as he had but he'd also been the bait to shoot at... could she cast with their guns locked on her? Did she know to run in zigzags? Would she have even run- could magi cast and run? He never cared for the arcane, perhaps he shouldn't have used his trump cards so early on as now she'd be wise to him- but she had to eat, she had to drink... and even if it were her sustenance of her own spell-weaving like many a mage he had known swore by - the temptation of foreign foods might get the best of her. After all, they were traveling places she'd never been and he was her personal tour guide. Keeping them out of harms way, keeping her mount on the right path, heck; this was likely the first time she'd been this far south and like it or not- they still had a ways to go. Another 'lovely' factor that played a roll in his arrogant smirk. She had NO idea where she was and they were in hostile territory now... who knew for how long. Even if she did'nt trust him, she was stuck with him for the duration of this trip and he'd see to it she saw no other options for traveling companions.

Tristyn seemed to revel in his unknown scheming as he shuffled on the floor and tried to get comfortable. There was a cot a few feet away but he wouldn't sleep on it when the good'ol'ground would do just fine. Perhaps it was his decades serving as a farstrider and sleeping on the ground or in the trees that made him unable to get comfortable on a bed or perhaps somewhere, buried deep down in his subconscious, he wouldn't take the only cot BECAUSE it was the ONLY cot and there was a lady with him... but he'd never admit it.
    Edited: February 20, 2016

4. Anger and offense flashed in Lys's bright eyes, and she clenched her fist to suffocate the flame she'd summoned. She might not have killed him yet, but he didn't make it an easy decision. "Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth," she sneered, hugging her knees close to guard from the cold. "I don't need sleep. I've gone longer without it." Certainly, that experience showed in how alert she was... but there was no denying the toll it took on her to go so long without rest. That showed too, in how twitchy and paranoid she'd become. And a mage on edge was a dangerous thing indeed - especially for c*cky pr*cks who thought to tease them. Pride would doubtless prove to be at least ONE of their downfalls.

As for his snide remark... Lys simply offered him the same reminder that she'd given him several times on the road: "If you lay your hands on me again, it will be the last time you have hands."

5. Lys's anger only seemed to fuel that arrogant, pr*ckish smirk that deepened into a crevice on the side of his cheek. "Well-" He shuffled to study her fatigued and disgusted facial expressions, using his arm as a pillow. "If ya don't feel like sleeping, ya could check the dwarven supplies, maybe look for some apples. I'm sure Moron would appreciate 'em."

Moron; the name she'd given the stolen black hawlkstrider that had originally tipped him off. Not long after her father had poured his life story out while he begrudgingly kept watch from a prison cell, reports of a black hawlfstrider had gone missing and a blonde elf youth had been seen riding it towards the boarders of the Ghostlands. It didn't take long for Tristyn to piece together that the man in the cell might not have been crazy... perhaps there was something to his story.

Little did he know Sylvannar was already involved and their hateful penmanship back and forth revealed 'by some strange fate' that he'd met a very similar female to the reports description in the Undercity... except she now had brown hair.

The oddity alone was worth checking out.

Tristyn stretched and yawned. "Course, we could always just get an early start." He stood and arched his back, rolling his right shoulder blade a few times as he stood with his back to her. Little did she know, he didn't take his eyes off her. His long white hair served as a mask to peer at her from the corner of his eye.

"Ya' call Blondie- " He made his way to the second floor to look out of one of the gigantic stone-framed, windows.

6. ((Quick note: Lys's hair would have also been brown when she stole Moron. When Sylvannar "accidentally" teleported her to Silvermoon, she quickly disguised herself and carelessly took Moron in her escape.))

It didn't take long for Lys to weigh her options. "Early start," she replied flippantly. "The sooner we get there, the sooner I can be rid of you. And the sooner you can get your..." She paused, holding back a snort of laughter. But it still somewhat showed when she finished the thought. "...Your gold."

20 gold coins. Not a very imaginative man. Did he simply not know how to count any higher? For the lower and middle classes, 20 gold was probably a lot. But Lys had robbed a high-ranking Blood Knight of all his life savings! If they saw 20 gold on the street, they wouldn't bother even picking it up. The hilarity of his demands were part of why she had such an easy time accepting the bargain. Of course, first they had to get there...

Lys stood and peered over the dark horizon, hoping that soon the sun would rise to light up the road before them. Not that this place saw a whole lot of sun on a good day. The sky was eternally blackened by volcanic ash, and the smoke from the undying fires of the Steppes often made her eyes water too much to see straight in the first place. Despite all that, an impenetrable darkness soaked the land once the sun fell out of the sky. It was quite unfair. "Leave early enough, and we can sneak past all the beasts that still sleep. Right?" she asked her guide, unsure of the truth to her thoughts. "And we can be in Redridge while it's still morning, surely. How long have we been here? We must be almost out, right?"

There were two senses Lys miserably lacked: A sense of time, and a sense of direction. Which made her disgusting dependence on the Farstrider all the more inescapable. Worst of all, it gave him one more thing to tease her about.

7. ((Quick note: Lys's hair would have also been brown when she stole Moron. When Sylvannar "accidentally" teleported her to Silvermoon, she quickly disguised herself and carelessly took Moron in her escape.))
    ((Ah- that makes more sense but answer me this, did Sylvannar see you beforehand with blonde hair and then brown? I want to make sure I have a basis here or this is all null and void. Im going to recheck my ingame letters and see if it was written brown vs blonde... let me know ))

Tristyn raised an eyebrow as he peered back at her in the dim light of whatever candles this dwarven bunker was light by. It was dark as hell outside but the sun would be up soon. He silently questioned why she laughed - completely not understanding what she found funny. She did promise to pay him... they had an accord and although it crossed her mind that she might be lying, he continued to assume that 'a deal was a deal'. It was beyond him to understand how low that amount was for her 'high society' types and he dismissed her light snort with a shake of his head.

"Well- we go during the day we run the risk of Alliance patrols, we go at night, more of the meaner creatures are out hinting. Aint no safe way about it." He rolled his other shoulder a few times. "We can hit Redridge if we leave before the sun's out, otherwise-" He began to collect a few supplies, pacing about to collect basic rations, food for his mount and a new pair of bracers... the previous inhabitants surely had no more use for 'em. "We'll have ta camp 'under the stars'." He smiled real big, like a right-bastard, still teasing her. "Ya really never been outta Silvermoon, eh?" He knew the answer but her lack of time from place to another and geography further proved his point.

8. ((Yeah, when Sylvannar and Lys met in the Ghostlands she had blonde hair and was telling a story about her father was trying to murder her to persuade him into helping her find a way to the Undercity. Once he instead stuck her in Silvermoon, she freaked out, changed her hair, and tried to flee the city in disguise.))

"How romantic," she droned in an unamused monotone - even if he was using her words, she didn't have to like the sound of it. "You're the pathfinder, I suppose. You know more about travel than I do. So whatever you say is best, I'll follow your lead." Her words were more humble than the insults she often spat at him. Lys was a woman who valued knowing her own strengths and weaknesses. She knew she couldn't do this alone...

His question put the scowl back on her lips. "No," she finally replied. "Never had anywhere to go anyways. Sure, I've been through Eversong a few times before, but what's a few times to the lifetime I spent locked up in my room?"

It explains the wide-eyed awe and amazement that she wore everywhere at the start of their journey. But ever since Loch Modan... that excitement never lit up her expression again. There was only bitterness and cold fury. Trist really did a number on her enthusiasm.

9. His question put the scowl back on her lips. "No," she finally replied. "Never had anywhere to go anyways. Sure, I've been through Eversong a few times before, but what's a few times to the lifetime I spent locked up in my room?"
    Tristyn answered her question with a flat stare.

"Oooooo..." Tristyn teased as puckered his lips and batted his eyelashes, pushing out his rump and chest. It was completely out of character for him. "Look at me-" He flaunted his hand at her like a lady who threw a hissyfit. "My names Lys..." His voice hight end a bit to imitate her. "I'm going to continue talking about my daddy issues and my sheltered past -" he finally came out of his high pitched, mocking voice and took a new angered tone towards her; "even though I have a fresh start at a new life somewhere else."

-oh, he was pushing buttons and he knew it but but this wasn't the 1st time and if he had any say in it, it surely wouldn't be the last.

If anything more than calling someone's bluff or collecting payment, Tristyn loved a good fight..and he knew Lys had it in her. Not the flaming, I'll murder you kind, though he knew the risks- but the type of fight that kept a person going, the fight that was used to strengthen them, the type of fight that pitted you against uneven circumstances and if you won, you were the sh*t. No questions asked.

Tristyn knew he played with fire but he'd have it no other way. He lived to dance in the flames and it shown as he stared directly into the young pyro-mages eyes.

10. Lys's face scrunched into a scowl as the foolish ranger proudly mocked her past. "It was my entire LIFE," she snapped, jabbing a finger in his direction. "Fresh start or no, past or present, nothing erases or overwrites what I lived through! You mistake my words for lamentations? No!"

Still wearing that scowl, she crossed her arms and cast her gaze towards the side, reflecting on her past - as she often did. "...Just because it's over now doesn't mean it can be forgotten. Nor should it be forgotten. Your past is just as much a part of you as your future." Returning her glare to the ranger, she went on to point out, "Besides, YOU asked, didn't you? Don't mock me for answering your own question."

The buttons he pushed weren't as dangerous as he might think. Lys was hurt by her past, but she was at peace with it. When she spoke of her solitude, it was without sorrow. The only thing he could do to her now was annoy her about it.

11. -"Your past is just as much a part of you as your future." Returning her glare to the ranger, she went on to point out, "Besides, YOU asked, didn't you? Don't mock me for answering your own question."
    Tristyn didn't miss a beat but her reaction wasn't what he was expecting, nor hoping for. Lys seemed to take the higher road... he'd get her yet.

"I did ask- " He started to wonder why he was replying to her... he sounded defensive. Defensive...!?!
    She'd caught him off guard with a question when he expected...
    screaming, yelling, a fist- hell, even a fire bolt...

His eyebrows furrowed as he exhaled what sounded like a low growl. "Past shapes, History defines." He spat the words out and turned pace downstairs to restock some arrows on one of the dwarven tables. "Ya need a new story is what i'm mean'in. Ya start'in ta sound like your old man rambling on about the past." He took the jab- back still turned but the corner of his eyes still peering at her between his collecting, hoping to ignite some greater reaction.

12. Lys scoffed at his comparison between her and her father, knowing full-well that they were nothing alike. If she didn't already realize he was trying to get a rise out of her, she certainly knew it now. "If you're going to antagonize me," she muttered darkly, "at least put a little effort into understanding me."

Her rebellious side got a little spark at his first comment, however. "If you don't like my story, I could always make one up," she said snidely, starting to gather what little provisions she could carry herself. "Oh, but the tale of the traveling tailor is so uncompelling. Perhaps I can claim that I'm a former priestess who has fallen from the Light's grace, now forced to scrape a living off of deals with dirty goblins... Alongside her noble, handsome, trusty ranger, of course," she added sarcastically. "Don't we make quite the pair..."

13. Tristyn raised an eyebrow, another flat stare at her sarcasm. "Ya mean 'captor'."

Tristyn held up the same rope he'd bound her hands with the nigth before. "Pocket what'ever ya feel you'll be need'in for the next few days. When we enter Redridge you're my prisoner until I say otherwise." A slight smirk followed as he had a feeling there might be some questions, if not some resistance.

14. That snarky smirk soon fell into a frown, and her expression darkened with the threat. "...Excuse me?" she asked clearly, though her anger and outrage showed through in her tone. "Captor? Prisoner? I thought I made our situation a little more clear than that."

With a flick of her wrist, the rope burst into flames in his very hands - she hoped the fire would burn his hands in the process, bastard that he was! - showing quite clearly what kinds of threats she wouldn't tolerate. She didn't have any questions for him, because there wasn't a single thing about his suggestion that she cared to understand. All Lys wanted was for HIM to understand that just because she hadn't killed him yet didn't mean she couldn't change her mind.

"You had power over me once, fleeting as it was," she sneered, her glare piercing into his eyes. "You will not see that power again."

15. "You had power over me once, fleeting as it was," she sneered, her glare piercing into his eyes. "You will not see that power again."
    The moment the rope burst into flames was the moment he let go, shaking his hand immediately. Though the flames didnt touch him, the heat of the cinders caused him to grit his teeth, preparing for any feeling of fire but that feeling never came.

His upper lip pulled back into what appeared to be a snarl but no sound escaped. He stood there, still - his mind mowing over his next move as his squinted eyes peered back into hers.

Now this was what he wanted... A smug smirk twisted onto his lips as he paced for a moment, finally turning to her as he folded his arms and studied her for a moment. His thumb raised to press against his lower lip as his hand rested on his chin.

His mouth opened slightly but then closed... keeping his smug grin.

"What do you know of illusion magic?" The question may have come as a surprise but he seemed genuinely interested.

123 Last