1. Few Tanking Questions

Hello dear community,

I have decided to come back after a long pause (since Molten era). I used to play Blood DK back in Cata and I loved the gameplay, however, I not quite familiar with the Blood DK on Lich King expansion. Anyway, I have watched multiple clips in regards to the tactics, tank POV and etc. In some of the mentioned clips, I have noticed that the Protection paladin had the same Healing Done as Blood DK. That was a big surprise for me.

The only reason for which I would like to roll a Blood DK is due to the self-healing. On the other hand, the Prot Paladin looks kinda interesting to me as well.

So, my question is does Prot paladin really has equal self-healing as Blood DK or I was fooled in those clips.

This is my only concern, does the Prot Paladin (self-healing) scale well through the progression from low GS to high-end GS? As a tank, I don't want to die if the healer sucks. Is this possible to be achieved as protection or shall I go Blood DK?

Note that I am not planning to use the coins which somehow returned to my account.

Thank you.

2. Hello and welcome back.
    Coincidentally I have both a Prot Paladin and dk tank. As per my opinion Prot paladins are boring af. They have this boring af rotation and threat is not much of an issue.
    Blood dk tanks on the other hand are really fun imo. Aoe tanking is a great challenge which makes playing dk tank more fun. They have great self healing helping u solo some bosses. building threat on each target is fun which is very easy in case of paladins and somewhat challenging in case of dks.
    I honestly got bored pretty quickly with paladin.
    I’m pretty sure protection paladins cannot heal more than dks. So if u are going for more self sustain then go dk. If u are looking for easy playstyle which easy spots in raids then go pala

3. Prot Paladin healing is via Judgment of Light (heals everyone, not just themselves) and Sacred Shield. It is largely passive and are tools used to smooth out damage intake.
    Blood DK heals in bursts as I'm sure you're well aware. The Blood DK's healing has a much greater impact on the demand from the healer(s).
    Prot Paladin self-heals does not amount to much. It is helpful a little bit, but the impact is low on a moment-to-moment basis. If you care about "soloing" without a healer, you're playing the wrong expansion honestly, but the Blood DK is the most capable in that regard, though a Paladin can pull off very respectable self-heals with Seal of Light assuming that threat isn't an issue.

4. Thank you for the replies.

Please allow me to clarify that I am not looking for soloing. For example, I am doing a dungeon and my healer fails, however, the boss is let's say below 15% HP. I would like to perform a descend self-healing so I could carry my group along with the DPSs without wiping the group. As of now, protections paladin looks cooler to me probably because I have many gaming hours with blood DK.

5. As Mercy said prot paladin is healing via Judgment of Light, which heals all of 25 raid memebers so they can easily reach 500k or even more in fights with lots of constant AOE dmg like BQL, PP and Festergut. But self healing they dont have death strike, rune tap, no vamp blood + glyphed rune tap. My DK isn't even that well geared, bout 6k, my rune tap glyphed without vamp blood healed my for ~20ish K in ICC the other day, that's something paladin just can't get, that's like paladin's ardent proc, maybe heals a bit less, but it has a 30s cd.

Paladin is way easier for RDF cause of their easier AOE threat, but imo dk is more fun, you actually have something to do, other than seal of command and that's it.

6. Play prot warrior and be ready to get blamed for everything...

7. One reason to play DK tank is for Brynntoll weapon which is almost always reserved exclusively for them and it drops off the first boss in 25m

8. One reason to play DK tank is for Brynntoll weapon which is almost always reserved exclusively for them and it drops off the first boss in 25m
    To be honest who would want that kind of 2H except a DK tank. What are you gonna do with lifesteal as Ret or FWar, expecially when you can get the 251 sword from Marrow in 10 man?

Anyway, as a paladin myself, I have a tank OS and it is indeed not challenging at all. The rotation is kinda brainless, and I never have threat problems at all. BUT it's a great way to do your daily heroics :p
    Anyway, if you're looking to tank as MS, I think other classes can be more fun (unless you really like paladins). And if you're looking for self-healing, paladin is not the class for you. Paladin tanking is more about reducing incoming damage rather than helping heal it (which by the way helps make it brainless, since the damage reduction is mostly passive/included in the rotation).

9. What are you gonna do with lifesteal as Ret
    Best kind of memes.

10. Thank you for all replies guys,

I have decided to give a chance to the Blood DK on this patch as well.

11. Notes to you

Hello dear community,

I have decided to come back after a long pause (since Molten era). I used to play Blood DK back in Cata and I loved the gameplay, however, I not quite familiar with the Blood DK on Lich King expansion. Anyway, I have watched multiple clips in regards to the tactics, tank POV and etc. In some of the mentioned clips, I have noticed that the Protection paladin had the same Healing Done as Blood DK. That was a big surprise for me.

The only reason for which I would like to roll a Blood DK is due to the self-healing. On the other hand, the Prot Paladin looks kinda interesting to me as well.

So, my question is does Prot paladin really has equal self-healing as Blood DK or I was fooled in those clips.

This is my only concern, does the Prot Paladin (self-healing) scale well through the progression from low GS to high-end GS? As a tank, I don't want to die if the healer sucks. Is this possible to be achieved as protection or shall I go Blood DK?

Note that I am not planning to use the coins which somehow returned to my account.

Thank you.
    I just recently stumbled upon this thread and it was an interesting read to me.

Prot paladins actually do self heal quite a bit if needed -- much more beyond just judgement of light. There is this spell called Seal of Light that none of these answers seem to know about, and if you're 50k hp unbuffed as a prot Pally, Judgement of light + seal of light heal you for almost 2k per proc, and it procs quite often.

If you are soloing, you only use judgement of light (when buff about to run out, so every 20s), seal of light, (just once/every 30 min), sacred shield (every min), you might have enough mana to also spam holy shield and hammer of righteousness to increase chance of blocking/self healing + if really needed you can cast flash of light which almost always crits because of sacred shield.

So with a fast 1-h weapon enchanted with mongoose, you can survive for a long time (if not forever unless the boss does too much dmg). I've tested surviving against FOS/POS bosses solo and it's pretty much forever.

12. All tanks have situational cd's to handle the exact situation you explained. Dk's can reduce dmg (magic and physical), generate large burst healing with several abililties, but sacrifice the ability to block so incoming damage is always a little higher than other tanks. Paladins are, IMO, the "best tank" for the situation you laid out. I agree it's boring, but not everything is going to be 120% adrenaline moments. You have so many situational tools at your disposal. You have Hand of Sacrifice to xfer damage from someone to you, divine sacrifice to redirect damage from entire party, hand of protection to give a party member immunity to physical attacks although they can't "attack" but can still cast (great for boomie using starfall and hurricane on a large group of adds lol), you have divine protection to reduce all incoming damage by 50%, seal of light heals you for, depending on max hp, 2-3k per hit, judgement of light is another 2% per hit, ardent defender returns you to life with 30% hp (that heal can crit too).

Again, just my opinion but based on just the situation you asked about here, I would go paladin. Yeah it the same 6-7 abilities every encounter but the situational abilities are what make prot paladins good.