1. May 11, 2019  

What's up with all these chars with invisible gear ?

I play Horde and every time I go to Orgrimmar I see at least 5 female blood elves showing nothing but their underwear and their weapon, and I'm like WTF. Yet upon inspection they have full gear on, it's just invisible. Frankly I find it distracting and annoying and also kind of unfair for Alliance players, as you can't even assess at first glance how geared they are. How is it possible and why is this allowed ?

2. May 11, 2019  

3. May 11, 2019  
    I play Horde and every time I go to Orgrimmar I see at least 5 female blood elves showing nothing but their underwear and their weapon, and I'm like WTF. Yet upon inspection they have full gear on, it's just invisible. Frankly I find it distracting and annoying and also kind of unfair for Alliance players, as you can't even assess at first glance how geared they are. How is it possible and why is this allowed ?
    relog should help. I get this rarely after a DC/relog in a raid.

4. May 11, 2019  
    I used to get that, similar to seeing everyone as Unknown briefly after logging in, but in the last couple years I've only heard of this from a few other people periodically. It was due to some combination of faulty models and lag when I had it but I fixed both issues around the same time.

5. May 11, 2019  
    I get the Unknown name bug quite often. And thats with hardly any oddons and i never go above 110ms (Only 110 b/c based in USA)

6. May 12, 2019  
    I used to get that, similar to seeing everyone as Unknown briefly after logging in, but in the last couple years I've only heard of this from a few other people periodically. It was due to some combination of faulty models and lag when I had it but I fixed both issues around the same time.
    Wait what? I'm getting the Unknown thing every time I log for the first 1 minute. Period. Connection is always stable and pretty fast but I didn't know it was models/lag connected.

7. May 12, 2019  
    Wait what? I'm getting the Unknown thing every time I log for the first 1 minute. Period. Connection is always stable and pretty fast but I didn't know it was models/lag connected.
    The Unknown thing has nothing to do with models, it's just your client failing to receive a name to associate with GUIDs. Or at least that's what I assume because I replaced a bunch of old/faulty wiring and tested my new wires partially by downloading new models one day and that all stopped happening at login. But recently I did notice some people are getting Unknown when I first enter a crowded area and I still haven't actually dug into it because the issue usually sorts itself out within a minute.

8. May 12, 2019  
    May also depend on your hardware. Seems like the first-time synchronisation that the client does upon connection sends lots of very small packets (with Nagle's algorithm off). And it gets especially bad if you remove your "cache" folder.

I know this because once I owned a router that would reboot itself whenever I logged into WoW and I nailed that to be the reason. If your hardware delays or drops tons of small packets for any reason (hardware can't deal with it, or it's seen as an attack) you will see Unknown people for a while.

9. May 12, 2019  
    Ive also noticed in blackrock you can transmog to remove all your gear and fight naked.

10. May 13, 2019  
    That happens to me as well, not all the time but I can see naked blood elves pretty much as you described. It must be because of these new models.

11. May 13, 2019  
    To be clear: The models I had issues with weren't related to the ones that most of you probably have. Please don't assume the model packs on our forums are the issue because I've actually used them without these kinds of problems.

Naked characters and Unknown names are easy to reproduce by lagging while loading in.