1. "Stuck" at 1.7 Solo Queue rating - Looking for tips

Hi,

First, sorry for my english, im not a native.

So the title is kinda inaccurate, im not "hard stuck" but I struggled and had to grind approximately 250 games to reach1720 rating for the rings, with like 150 games between 1500 and 1720... win/loss ratio is something like 140-130... I hope you get my point

I play an enhance shaman mostly starter gear (5.8 gs atm, with 1300 resilience). I started to learn this class 2 month ago, but I have a decent knowledge of WotLK and experience with feral druid and also disc priest.

The thing is, I don't know how to improve from there. I mean, yes, I still make a lot of stupid mistakes and I have to correct these ones, but then what? I am not sure how correcting these little details will get me to 2.2+ rating like its nothing. I see a lot of players sitting at 2.4+ rating and I have absolutely no clue how they do that. At the moment their rating seems so distant to me, it's something I can't even grasp.

I feel like I do my job in the arena, spamming purge when necessary, tremor always up when needed, interrupting heals/poly/cyclone, always assisting my team to score a kill etc. Sometimes I **** up and I understand why I lose, but 75% of the games I just do my job yet I'm kinda stuck in this 1.6-1.7 rating pit.
    To be honest, I never expected to reach 2k+ rating quickly as I had 0 experience with solo Q and enhance shaman 2 month ago. But being "stuck" at 1.7 rating? lol, that sounds like dog**** to me. That's something I'm not used to. On Icecrown and also on Lordaeron I had no problems playing consistently at 2.3+ in 2s / 2.1+ in 3s with my feral (that was before the merge, so yeah thats not like 2.3+ nowadays, but still)... it feels really weird.

I guess I'm just completely clueless. So here are my questions:
    - What are these special things that a 2.2+ SQ player do and a 1.8 player doesn't?
    - What are the areas of gameplay that are the most efficient in increasing your SQ rating? (positioning/paying attention to LoS? using pillars? damaging? peel your healer? cc? clever and hard to master things like using your grounding totem to negate HoJ etc?)
    - How does the gear influence your rating? (if im 1.7 with mostly starter gear, what would be my rating with BiS gear?)
    - How do you peel for your healer as an enhancement shaman? When two melees (e.g. war+dk) are on my disc priest team mate I try to earthbind and hex, sometimes offheal if MS is not active but most of the time it's not enough and the disc gets destroyed in seconds. I don't know what to do in this situation.
    - Any other tips on enhance shaman in solo Q, or on solo Q generally speaking?

Thank you very much for your input.
    Edited: June 10, 2020

2. Remember there are many factors to take into consideration when you lose. Being soloq, you don't always get the best comp so sometimes the enemy comp is just better in cc or something. Also going into higher mmr means facing people with better gear, it happens even at 1500 mmr to have to fight someone with wrathful gear. Sometimes it's just out of your control & other people make mistakes too. If you want to improve i suggest looking at high rated arenas on youtube/twitch of your class and see what they do in terms of positioning, cc and targeting.

Best of luck!

3. from 1400 to 3k mmr , solo q is dog**** and will always be you can be the most ******ed player ever and finish rank 1 or the oposite you can be god player and end up disbanding , its all rng , ur partners which most of the time can be ur rivals on their alts so ofc they will make u lose so u dont catch up with their main , or just ppl who hate u and dont care bout rate so they grief u anyway ( they pretend to play to avoid ban but r doing what ever ) , and most of the times u get random comps vs one of the followings ( ele preg disc ) or tc or preg war as 90 % of the players like to faceroll so yeh u can be complete dog**** and still go high in solo q its just luck u know like wining the lottery doesnt matter how rich or poor u are thats why for me even 3k solo q experience equals 1.6 maybe 1.8 max other brackets

4. Until at least 2k you are elohelled. Your teammates are so bad that you have to solo carry every game to climb. That means that if you don't play an hypercarry class like warrior, ele, ret/holy pal etc that have a lot of favorable comps and can easily 1v5 you will have a hard time, unless you are really really good. If you are decent at your class you will have a far easier time at 2k+ than at 1.7.
    You probably make a lot of mistakes but you are playing hard mode with enh, also gear makes a lot of difference.
    Edited: June 14, 2020

5. from 1400 to 3k mmr , solo q is dog**** and will always be you can be the most ******ed player ever and finish rank 1 or the oposite you can be god player and end up disbanding , its all rng , ur partners which most of the time can be ur rivals on their alts so ofc they will make u lose so u dont catch up with their main , or just ppl who hate u and dont care bout rate so they grief u anyway ( they pretend to play to avoid ban but r doing what ever ) , and most of the times u get random comps vs one of the followings ( ele preg disc ) or tc or preg war as 90 % of the players like to faceroll so yeh u can be complete dog**** and still go high in solo q its just luck u know like wining the lottery doesnt matter how rich or poor u are thats why for me even 3k solo q experience equals 1.6 maybe 1.8 max other brackets
    That was a mighty long sentence.

6. Wanted to give my 2 cents as a 2400 rsham in soloq. Basically posting here will get u responses like that guy above who has no clue and is saying that soloq is all rng and loterry and that 3k rating is same as 1600. IF u get 3000 rating as ANY SPEC, i don't care how op or what spec it is, you are a legendary player. Ok now to the topic, basically enh shaman is a really good spec for soloq its not even close to being hardmode as ppl above suggest, its arguably only slightly worse than warrior. The way u climb soloq is by looking at the different team comps u get and what u fight against and what is the best tactic to go about it. As u said getting a disc priest VS tsg is miserable and most likely will result in a loss if u dont have a good comp to peel for the disc, but even then if u see u have a disc on your team and after the gates open you are vs warrior dk, try to rush first and make them go on you or try to snipe their healer first before they kill yours. And once u play enough games u should get a feel for what u need to do in every matchup who to focus what to peel when to play defensive... after a while u can even give suggestions to your teammates after u learn the interactions between the comp u play vs the comp ur enemy team plays, on who to CC who to focus, where to play on the exact map etc. And every new milestone u reach rating wise u stay there and farm the appropriate gear for that rating and eventually when u hit 2050 u should be BiS geared, and after that since u no longer play for gear you will be more relaxed and focus more on strategy and mistakes and u should be able to get 2200-2400

7. Wanted to give my 2 cents as a 2400 rsham in soloq. Basically posting here will get u responses like that guy above who has no clue and is saying that soloq is all rng and loterry and that 3k rating is same as 1600. IF u get 3000 rating as ANY SPEC, i don't care how op or what spec it is, you are a legendary player. Ok now to the topic, basically enh shaman is a really good spec for soloq its not even close to being hardmode as ppl above suggest, its arguably only slightly worse than warrior. The way u climb soloq is by looking at the different team comps u get and what u fight against and what is the best tactic to go about it. As u said getting a disc priest VS tsg is miserable and most likely will result in a loss if u dont have a good comp to peel for the disc, but even then if u see u have a disc on your team and after the gates open you are vs warrior dk, try to rush first and make them go on you or try to snipe their healer first before they kill yours. And once u play enough games u should get a feel for what u need to do in every matchup who to focus what to peel when to play defensive... after a while u can even give suggestions to your teammates after u learn the interactions between the comp u play vs the comp ur enemy team plays, on who to CC who to focus, where to play on the exact map etc. And every new milestone u reach rating wise u stay there and farm the appropriate gear for that rating and eventually when u hit 2050 u should be BiS geared, and after that since u no longer play for gear you will be more relaxed and focus more on strategy and mistakes and u should be able to get 2200-2400
    how long does it take to get 2400? :P

8. Wanted to give my 2 cents as a 2400 rsham in soloq. Basically posting here will get u responses like that guy above who has no clue and is saying that soloq is all rng and loterry and that 3k rating is same as 1600. IF u get 3000 rating as ANY SPEC, i don't care how op or what spec it is, you are a legendary player. Ok now to the topic, basically enh shaman is a really good spec for soloq its not even close to being hardmode as ppl above suggest, its arguably only slightly worse than warrior. The way u climb soloq is by looking at the different team comps u get and what u fight against and what is the best tactic to go about it. As u said getting a disc priest VS tsg is miserable and most likely will result in a loss if u dont have a good comp to peel for the disc, but even then if u see u have a disc on your team and after the gates open you are vs warrior dk, try to rush first and make them go on you or try to snipe their healer first before they kill yours. And once u play enough games u should get a feel for what u need to do in every matchup who to focus what to peel when to play defensive... after a while u can even give suggestions to your teammates after u learn the interactions between the comp u play vs the comp ur enemy team plays, on who to CC who to focus, where to play on the exact map etc. And every new milestone u reach rating wise u stay there and farm the appropriate gear for that rating and eventually when u hit 2050 u should be BiS geared, and after that since u no longer play for gear you will be more relaxed and focus more on strategy and mistakes and u should be able to get 2200-2400
    Thank you very much, that is the kind of input that I was waiting for.

I guess I just have to practice more and more, and take two minutes to try to analyze every single game afterward. But I find it hard to learn tactics from soloq, because it is hard to disentangle the different factors that determines your success.

I mean, sometimes you win in a very ******ed way and that gives the illusion that the strategy used was good, and vice versa. With a particular setup you might use a trash strategy and win 5 times in a row because you are just lucky with team mates/opponents/gear/rng.

For example I have a very high win ratio when i am matched with warriors, but I feel like I don't learn anything from these games. Most of the times I just fully support the warrior who tunnels some guy and we win in 30 seconds no matter what.

9. how long does it take to get 2400? :P
    depends on the player class spec and what gear u have, so cant answer that properly, my sham was geared in soloq as ele from full starter my max was 2210, in 1-2 months, and then when i played next season only resto i got to 2400 in 1 week of playing everyday i guess

10. Thank you very much, that is the kind of input that I was waiting for.

I guess I just have to practice more and more, and take two minutes to try to analyze every single game afterward. But I find it hard to learn tactics from soloq, because it is hard to disentangle the different factors that determines your success.

I mean, sometimes you win in a very ******ed way and that gives the illusion that the strategy used was good, and vice versa. With a particular setup you might use a trash strategy and win 5 times in a row because you are just lucky with team mates/opponents/gear/rng.

For example I have a very high win ratio when i am matched with warriors, but I feel like I don't learn anything from these games. Most of the times I just fully support the warrior who tunnels some guy and we win in 30 seconds no matter what.
    thats why i said u need to get a feel for it after playing alot of games. Ye with warrior there is no special tactic just pressuring target and if he uses defensives quick swap onto the healer/dps and game ends now ofc they can have a team that is very tanky like ele preg disc but there is where hex shines. u will probably get matched vs alot of ele shamans since u cant get them on ur team, try to save grounding for their hex and shear their burst while tunneling the weakest target in their team

11. depends on the player class spec and what gear u have, so cant answer that properly, my sham was geared in soloq as ele from full starter my max was 2210, in 1-2 months, and then when i played next season only resto i got to 2400 in 1 week of playing everyday i guess
    thanks for answer, do you play at a particular time?

12. most important rule of solo q- stay calm.... dont panic over what your teammates are failing, try to watch situation and play best to that situation... and understand, no matter who you play with, sometimes different people have different ideas.... and without communication is hard to know them... so watch gladius closely all times to know whos your teammate killing... also make atleast 3 different builds with different resilience to switch accordingly to your team... im DK so if i see that i will have to tank some dmg ( i play with hpal/hunt or rdru/ele or smth) i go 1.3k resil, i play with mage/priest, i go 1120 resil, and etc... i played along with some enchancements shams and we usually win, ele must be better comp, but maybe i played with some insane enchas but dont rly rememeber to lose a game playing along encha... there dmg and survivability is insane, we usually just kill their healer before they can even do smth.. but anyway,another important thing, you cant win SQ everytime and sometimes you cant win at all, so its good to have another toon to see how it goes and if its goin good then play on your main toon

13. this server its like pay to win, class are unbalanced, palys prote heals more than heler and do more dps than retry, warmane are so bad in pvp

14. July 6, 2020  
    from 1400 to 3k mmr , solo q is dog**** and will always be you can be the most ******ed player ever and finish rank 1 or the oposite you can be god player and end up disbanding , its all rng , ur partners which most of the time can be ur rivals on their alts so ofc they will make u lose so u dont catch up with their main , or just ppl who hate u and dont care bout rate so they grief u anyway ( they pretend to play to avoid ban but r doing what ever ) , and most of the times u get random comps vs one of the followings ( ele preg disc ) or tc or preg war as 90 % of the players like to faceroll so yeh u can be complete dog**** and still go high in solo q its just luck u know like wining the lottery doesnt matter how rich or poor u are thats why for me even 3k solo q experience equals 1.6 maybe 1.8 max other brackets
    Well if 3k sq equals 1,8 in 2s or 3s for YOU, that prolly means that you are just not good enough to get highrating in sq.
    Also in sq you gotta look at the games played, there are ppl in top 10 with 200-300 games played while others tryhard with 800+ games played.