1. Frost DK PvP Guide Wotlk 3.3.5a

Frost DK PvP Guide

Yo, this FDK pvp guide will focus on arena not bg or duels.

About me:
    I havent seen good frost dk pvp guide so i decided to make one
    i had 3.1k rating with FDK/hpal comb 2s on sunwell during furi season and now started playing soloQ as FDK here (switched from unh)

Pressences:

Unholy Pressence: is your Main Pressence
    Frost Pressence: is your Deff Pressence against Physical Attackers it increase ur armor by a lot and also will give you damage reduction
    If Physical Attackers like Warrior,Hunter,Feral druid etc are focusing you for longer time then allways try switch to Frost Pressence. You will also have more attack power thanks to Bladed Armor talent.
    Blood Pressence: I dont use this Pressence... It can increase your dps only if ur hitting target 95% of the time(not gonna happen) and it will decrease your burst compared to Unholy Pressence

Stat Priority: Spell Penetration(130-140) > Hit Rating [2%, 65.6 hit rating(From Items)] > STR/Resilience > Haste > Expertise10-15%(1ring for exp max) > Crit/Arp

5% hit is melee cap and 4% is spell cap for Frost DK pvp
    Nerves of Cold Steel gives 3% hit for melee attack and Virulence gives 3% spell hit thats why you need only 2% hit from items
    having more hit than cap is ok coz you still miss auto-attacks and might miss spells vs retri and bloodelf
    so having 2-4% from items is the best

Resil about 1k+ it depends on you how much u want

I recommend having atleast 1 expertise ring coz you will have big problems hitting ferals/rogs with Frost Strike which is your main source of dmg (unh use coil instead and coil can't dodge that's why he doesnt need expertise)

Glyphs:

Major Glyphs:
    Glyph of Frost Strike
    Glyph of Hungering Cold
    Glyph of Anti-Magic Shell or Glyph of Howling Blast

Minor Glyphs:
    Glyph of Death's Embrace
    Glyph of Pestilence
    Glyph of Horn of Winter or Glyph of Raise Dead

Why not Glyph of Obliterate? Because Obliterate does pathethic dmg in pvp especialy vs plate and you need to spam for chains/plague strikes anyway coz Frost DK doesnt have "anti dot dispel" talent like unholy.
    Howling Blast is ranged/aoe, doing better dmg than Obliterate, is also affected by Killing Machine and it cost same runes as Obliterate
    Cleanse/Abolish Disease/Cleansing totem those are the seasons why you have to spam chains/plague strikes to apply dot again
    Without dots ur Frost Strike doesnt do dmg
    I do not use Obliterate in pvp at all

Talents:

https://imgur.com/a/XoaGeEq
    or
    https://imgur.com/a/l1W22kZ

As u can see I didnt pick any Obliterate talent ..You not only saved 1major glyph but you also saved 6talents for not using this pathethic ability.
    Im using Acclimation talent mostly against spam dispel/purge/spellsteal.
    But it can be also good against assa rogs and their poisons(they stack nature resist) coz they dont use spell pene.
    Nature Resist is only decreasing poison tick dmg not Envenom dmg.
    Or when you play with hpal and he use shadow aura (vs shadow pri for example) you can have 130 shadow resist from aura +150resist from Acclimation (280 shadow resist) and shadow priest use just 130 spell penetration so it will reduce a lot of dmg and maybe resist some of his spells too.
    Acclimation also stacks Holy Resist - it does nothing but those useless stacks can be dispeled/purged/stealed.
    I remember soloq arena vs preg/fire mage and mage was constanly stealing stacks of holy resist/fire resist instead of freedom or sacret.

Gear:

BIS List:
    Weapons: 2x Havoc's Call, Blade of Lordaeron Kings
    Sigil: Sigil of the Vengeful Heart
    Trinkets: Sharpened Twilight Scale , Death's Verdict
    Fingers: Skeleton Lord's Circle , Ashen Band of Endless Might
    Feet: Apocalypse's Advance
    Waist: Wrathful Gladiator's Girdle of Triumph
    Wrist: Wrathful Gladiator's Bracers of Triumph
    Back: Winding Sheet
    Neck: Penumbra Pendant
    Rest Items are 5/5 Wrathful Set If you have enough resil from gems you can go 4/5 WF and get 1 PVE offset Scourge Reaver's Legplates

Runeforging:

Rune of Fallen Crusader
    Rune of Razorice

Gems:

Chaotic Skyflare Diamond
    Stormy Majestic Zircon
    Resplendent Ametrine
    Mystic King's Amber
    Bold Cardinal Ruby
    Bold Dragon's Eye
    Mystic Dragon's Eye

3% crit dmg meta gem is a must
    Get Spell Penetration 130+ and then go str or resil gems how you need

Macros:

#showtooltip Death Grip
    /target focus
    /cast Death Grip

#showtooltip Mind Freeze
    /target focus
    /cast Mind Freeze

or (how do you prefer)

#showtooltip Mind Freeze
    /cast [target=focus] Mind Freeze

#showtooltip Hungering Cold(Rank 1)
    /stopattack
    /cast Hungering Cold(Rank 1)
    /p HUNGERING COLD

#showtooltip Strangulate
    /cast [target=focus] Strangulate

#showtooltip Chains of Ice
    /cast [target=focus] Chains of Ice

#showtooltip Frost Strike(Rank 6)
    /cast Frost Strike(Rank 6)
    /startattack
    /cast Dark Command

#showtooltip Lichborne
    /cast Lichborne
    /target "YOUR NAME"
    /cast Death Coil(Rank 5)

/cancelaura Lichborne

/cancelaura Hand of Protection

Usage of Hungering Cold:
    It has 10yd range AROUND YOU so if you go between 2 targets you can basically freeze them 20yards from each other.
    20yd double HC GIF: https://giphy.com/gifs/jtdQbjL9Mqsj7cLzRy
    Tripple HC gif: https://giphy.com/gifs/VzjvYQAoOsVnY8pR3e

Frost DK PvP Arena Videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-6c..._channel=Zeorg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MotvmGuDPjI

My YT FDK PvP Guide:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPlE..._channel=Zeorg
    Edited: November 29, 2020

2. Nice write up, I will definitely give it a go since unholy is a bit boring to play.

I know you mentioned your 2s comp being with a Hpala. Do you thing this could work with a DPriest?

3. Hi nice guide! I have one question: can frost play only with frost fever on target? I mean, in terms of damage there is no spell (exept blood strike) that benefit from both diseases, and glacier root talent say diseased enemy take 20% more damage from fs ecc. so i think frost fever is enough, and tundra stalker talent refers to frost fever specifically. So back to the question, can you play mono-disease and be effective in terms of damage? Thank you.

4. Ah, another question: isn't Deathchill talent good? Ty again

5. this maccro :

/target focus
    /cast Chains of Ice
    /targetlasttarget

>>>>> why not simply :

#showtooltip
    /cast [target=focus] chains of ice

this way you don't have to switch targets...

6. Spec question:
    Why not max out Acclimation (3/3) over Icy Reach in survival Frost spec?

Guide question:
    Mind if I link your guide in my own, since I have a PvP section which I briefly covered, and people can find really useful info here?

P.S. I would agree with the:
    #showtooltip
    part of the comment above and change that in the guide.

7. Hi,

ty for guide. What is ur rotation on this?

8. Nice write up, I will definitely give it a go since unholy is a bit boring to play.

I know you mentioned your 2s comp being with a Hpala. Do you thing this could work with a DPriest?
    Idk never played FDk with disc... I think it can work but hpally prob better coz when for example warr trinket HC your pal can stun him and u take him down from 100 to 0% while hes stunned coz he cant dodge/parry and especialy block with Shield block... so if his healer doesnt have trinket for HC warr should be dead while hes stunned... if hes not stunned he just use shield block and wait

its nearly impossible to kill warr when he use Shield Block as frost coz u have fast and many attacks and block counters those type of attacks

Hi nice guide! I have one question: can frost play only with frost fever on target? I mean, in terms of damage there is no spell (exept blood strike) that benefit from both diseases, and glacier root talent say diseased enemy take 20% more damage from fs ecc. so i think frost fever is enough, and tundra stalker talent refers to frost fever specifically. So back to the question, can you play mono-disease and be effective in terms of damage? Thank you.
    What's the point of having only frost fever anyway
    U need to use unholy rune for something too
    And ppl are constanly dispeling/cleansing/abolishing ur diseases, you get 10 runic power when they dispel it and you dont want ur frost fever to be dispeled as first disease

Ah, another question: isn't Deathchill talent good? Ty again
    Killing Machine procs a lot u dont need 2min CD crit talent
    ppl are taking it for obli crit coz obli is not affected by Killing Machine

this maccro :

/target focus
    /cast Chains of Ice
    /targetlasttarget

>>>>> why not simply :

#showtooltip

this way you don't have to switch targets...
    yeah idk why i still have this old macro... i will edit it
    Im actually using all macros with [target=focus] on my pal ..but still was using this bad one for dk xD

Spec question:
    Why not max out Acclimation (3/3) over Icy Reach in survival Frost spec?

Guide question:
    Mind if I link your guide in my own, since I have a PvP section which I briefly covered, and people can find really useful info here?
    1. question
    2/3 acclimation is enough to keep full stacks of resist when ur focused, 3/3 would make it just full stacked faster
    1/2 icy reach is good i like having bigger range for chains and howling

2. question
    Np I wouldn't mind

Hi,

ty for guide. What is ur rotation on this?
    It all depends on situation
    You dont want to break HC with howling for example
    But u mostly start with chain,plague strike then howling and blood strike/pestilence to get some runic power
    this is not pve u learn ur rotation by playing it
    Edited: August 24, 2020

9. Hey Zergy! Love your guide and videos! Can you share a link to your current char? :)

10. Hey Zergy! Love your guide and videos! Can you share a link to your current char? :)
    on warmane i got this DK http://armory.warmane.com/character/...ckrock/summary
    my bala druid on warmane: http://armory.warmane.com/character/...ckrock/summary

11. Nice guide man,what level i need at blacksmithing to add socket to wrist and glove?,and what kind of recipe i need here?

12. 1k resil xD. Good luck surviving smourne warrs or any decent 2x dps comp.
    No deatchill? Do you even know of finishing macro which is a must for any decent frost dk?
    Nah tnx, i will stick to Zedarus guide...

13. Also 2x Dv is bis for Fdk as it stacks str with rune of FC and Unbreakable armor. 😏

14. Nice guide, would only suggest removing pve gloves as an option as you don’t want to lose the bonus from pvp gloves. Also 32 ap on boots instead of tuskar’s vitality may be better as you usually sit in uh presence. Ig the movement speed is useful when you do kite in frost presence but yea

15. 1k resil xD. Good luck surviving smourne warrs or any decent 2x dps comp.
    No deatchill? Do you even know of finishing macro which is a must for any decent frost dk?
    I said 1k resil+
    means 1k is minumum
    in SoloQ is 1050 enough when 90% of the time ur teamate dies..

and I dont think 2min cd crit is worth taking when killing machine gives crit proc every 3-5sec

Also 2x Dv is bis for Fdk as it stacks str with rune of FC and Unbreakable armor. ��
    Normal DV gives only 607 STR when BOTH armor+enchant are on which is only 1215 attack power compared to 1472 attack power

Nice guide, would only suggest removing pve gloves as an option as you don’t want to lose the bonus from pvp gloves.
    Yeah forgot about this i will edit it

Nice guide, would only suggest removing pve gloves as an option as you don’t want to lose the bonus from pvp gloves. Also 32 ap on boots instead of tuskar’s vitality may be better as you usually sit in uh presence. Ig the movement speed is useful when you do kite in frost presence but yea
    15stam not that much worse than 32attack power and i hate not having movement speed during frost presence

123 Last