1. BiS Gear for Protection Paladin

Hello, right now im gearing a protection paladin, what do you think is the best gear to get ?
    Should i go for 4 pcs of the set or combine only 2 elements from the T10 set?

2. Chest + hands of T10, craftable 264 legs and 277 off-set helm and shoulders.
    This is because 12% active dodge from plea won't help with ICC and Halion hc, but instead will make you waste GCD in critical situation

3. Whether you use Tier-10 4-set bonus is optional. The main difference is that you'll have to juggle stats in order to get the set bonus. The set bonus isn't amazing, but if you choose to go for it, it's OK. It is useful in some situations, albeit minor. While in the process of gearing up, the set bonus can be very useful for an otherwise weak-geared tank, too.

4. On my pala im stacking avoidance. So i have 4 pieces of t10 without hands for those i use taldaram plated fists coz i think its way better.I think armor irrelevant on pala coz he can block.

5. I stack avoidance on my pala.I have 4 t10 set without hands i use taldaram plated fists instead.I think its gr8 to have t10 bonus coz it did help me alot for some boses.

6. Well, not picking hands is a mistake, because you NEED every bit of armor from gear. Avoidance on pala means: lower HP pool to trigger Argent Defender; lower hp treshold to benefit from dmg reduction below 35% hp; less blocks and dmg from Holy shield; higher chances of accidential trigger of your Argent AND higher chnces to die from 30-50k hits in ICC/RS heroics.
    And list goes on. Without bonus dodge and less avoidance stats on gear, you benefit much less than DKs and Warrs from avoidance stacking + you don't have skills that are triggered by avoiding. Meanwhile, you have free 60% block and 3k+ block value.

What you "think" do not go along with reality. Healer can not gamble with your HP, he needs to be confident in your ability to survive without relying on RNG.

7. i go like this
    on my pala i build hp/avoidance with stamina trinkets (corroded skeleton key and flwaless fang) and i did it fine on 25 hc i managed till valithria on hc without prob,we ddnt continue coz it was late mby we could lod.
    on my dk i build hp/armor and its also good no prob doin hc.
    on bear i do same like dk.
    i didnt mean ONLY avidance lol. u dnt need much armor on pala coz he have good dmg reduction talents+that divine plea glyph.which is same dmg reduction like on my dk with full armor gear

8. So what are your suggestions on combining items without going for the 4pcs T10?

9. Suggested in first reply in this thread

10. I stack avoidance on my pala.I have 4 t10 set without hands i use taldaram plated fists instead.I think its gr8 to have t10 bonus coz it did help me alot for some boses.
    While avoidance can appear to be really great for a tank to a new-ish player, it actually has some pretty severe pitfalls. An example of this is in how "spikey" your damage taken is, which can cause healers to panic. Investing stats into avoidance means you have less stats to reduce the % of your health in damage you take when you do get hit. This means that when you get hit, you're going to get hit HARD. Healer panic ensues. There are various reasons why armor + health are considered the best stats overall in most raid content, but I'd be here explaining for a while if I were to get into it. That said, doesn't mean you shouldn't get avoidance stats. Block value, for example, is a very nice stat and it works well with armor and health stats.

So what are your suggestions on combining items without going for the 4pcs T10?
    So, for the five tier item slots, there are a variety of routes you can pursue. Which items you get first may vary, too, depending on what drops you get from ICC. So consider what items you are working with when choosing what tier items to get.

That said, the most popular route for "BIS" Paladin tanks is;
    T10 Hands
    T10 Chest
    Broken Ram Skull Helm
    Boneguard Commander's Pauldrons
    Pillars of Might OR Legguards of Lost Hope

I put emphasis on "BIS" because there isn't a set specific BIS for tanks, since it changes on a boss-to-boss basis - this is just an overall setup that is typically considered the best for specific bosses and that you can brute force all of the other bosses with it.

The tier hands and chest are obvious choices because of the bonus armor on them. They're just really good items.
    The helm is a popular choice because of the hit rating on the item, which isn't offered by tier set item choices.
    The difference between the two choices of legs are threefold; bonus armor, hit rating, and ease of access. The crafted legs are much easier to get because they're crafted, and have more armor than any other pair of legs in the game, and so they're a really popular choice. However, the hit rating from the other leg option is quite valuable and since they are higher item level than Pillars of Might, they also offer more stamina. Both are good choices, depends on your situation and what stats you find yourself in need of.

11. Dude,Most of players like u (stack armor)are sh1t at tanking or never been tankin , i think ur never been tanking, or boosted by raid or good healers(no insult)? its simple
    Pala avoidance- avoid + hp 45k hit to avoid it(exaple fester at 8 stacks some bosses do less like 20-25k per hit), simple paladins need much more avoidance coz they dnt have self healing or huge hp.
    Dk full armor and hp coz they can self heal and u need to reduce dmg at full,pestilence glyph and u can self heal every time so if boss hits u 47k dmg (festergut at 8 stacks)hc u can instantly heal urself for 20k hp and u wont get killed by next hit including will of necropolis. So armor on dk is very important.
    Druid tank also needs armor and stamina coz of huge health and unless like dk u depend on healers u can have 90k hp but u cant heal like dk.
    So lets think on prot paladin to do 1% less dmg redution or to avoid 47k dmg by 7%.Idk its ur choice but i choose avoidance on paladin.

Mercy no insult dude but i think ur dps that think armor is best option for prot pala.First do tanking then u will see my option is better than noobs that say armor is best.You will see,after all blizzard employers know better than you,and they are right in every cause.In the end i did test ur full armor Pala and guess wut,2x times i triggered ardent defender which never happened, with my avoidance set on fester hc b4.

12. Dude,Most of players like u (stack armor)are sh1t at tanking or never been tankin , i think ur never been tanking, or boosted by raid or good healers(no insult)? its simple
    Pala avoidance- avoid + hp 45k hit to avoid it(exaple fester at 8 stacks some bosses do less like 20-25k per hit), simple paladins need much more avoidance coz they dnt have self healing or huge hp.
    Need to get my popcorn..

They need the armor. They don't want to rely on RNG to avoid damage. You'll never know how RNG will screw you over.

Keeping it rather simple:
    Avoidance = Random chance to get big hit; so DMG you take is spiky; spiky damage is harder to heal/manage/overcome.
    Armor = Evens out DMG spikes, and makes DMG from those hits is lower; Consistently taken DMG is easier to heal.

13. Keeping it rather simple:
    Avoidance = Random chance to get big hit; so DMG you take is spiky; spiky damage is harder to heal/manage/overcome.
    Armor = Evens out DMG spikes, and makes DMG from those hits is lower; Consistently taken DMG is easier to heal.
    That is maybe too simple.

More avoidance also means less times that you are hit multiple times in a row. For example.. With 50% avoidance your chance to be hit 2 times in a row is 25%, 3 times in a row 12.5%, 4 times in a row 6.25% with 60% avoidance your chance to be hit 2 times in a row is 16% and 3 times in a row 6.4%. and 4 times in a row 2.56%. 1 hit is survivable for any geared tank, multiple hits in a row are the dangerous spikes.

Now the difference won't probably be that big in game. My point is that focusing only on armor could make spike dmg soo common that healers will panic and/or be unable to heal you anyways. Some kind of balance will be superior.

One item example would be bs legs.. while great at start they provide only minor ehp increase (because they give quite a bit less stamina) than set/hit legs from icc25hc. And a lot less avoidance. I don't think they are worth using endgame.

Tldr. Get as much armor as you can while not sacrificing too much avoidance.

14. That is maybe too simple.

More avoidance also means less times that you are hit multiple times in a row. For example.. With 50% avoidance your chance to be hit 2 times in a row is 25%, 3 times in a row 12.5%, 4 times in a row 6.25% with 60% avoidance your chance to be hit 2 times in a row is 16% and 3 times in a row 6.4%. and 4 times in a row 2.56%. 1 hit is survivable for any geared tank, multiple hits in a row are the dangerous spikes.
    It's not "too simple". EHP is the way to go unless you require a specific stat like hit to get spellhitcap. Marrowpants are a nice compromise there, considering they're 277 vs 264 crafted pants.

To boil down your math a bit: It doesn't matter how low the chance becomes to take 97294234 hits in a row. If you take two without a major heal in a row you're pretty much dead, at least on lordaeron. Changing that chance from 50% to 40% isn't something that's gonna make your healers change their behaviour, they'll still blast you with heals and you're gonna use the same CDs.

EHP-gearing just provides that bit of extra survivability so you might get away with a non-crit holy light in between hits. Avoidance might reduce the chance for that to happen by a small margin if your heals screw up regularly. But if they do you might wanna replace em anyway instead of gimping yourelf to accomodate for those things.

15. Ye I agree that EHP is mostly the way to go. But not at any cost to avoidance.. getting 800 EHP at the cost of 3% avoidance is not worth it. (legs example if I remember numbers correctly)

Getting hit 3 times in a row means that healers have to crit 2 times in a row to be able to keep up with your dmg taken..

Healers can cancel cast more often, saving mana, lasting longer.. maybe get away with using plea less often, having higher throughput.. they also have to move on mechanics sometimes.. it's not just about bad play.. Always do whatever helps your raid the most.

Low amounts of EHP are not worth getting if you loose a lot of avoidance instead.

123 ... Last