1. Ttw Gear question

Hey I’m a little confused. I have heard lingering illness is better than crushing cold wraith links. And ring of rapid ascent is better than loop of endless labyrinth for ttw mages. Is it true? And why?
    And also which profession is better jewelcrafting or engineering?
    Tysm for the replies

2. Okay, so let me answer the three questions one by one.

1) Lingering Illness over Crushing Coldwraith

The argument goes that beyond a certain point (i.e. near/at BiS), your Haste becomes less useful (not too sure as to the specifics, but along the lines of 'the additional haste won't let you fit another Fireball during the 4pT10 bonus or something' - again, not too sure, so correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore, by removing this excess Haste, you get more Spirit and therefore more Crit in return. The same argument can be made in favor of Nightmare Ender over Corpse-Impaling Spike, iirc. I don't personally subscribe to that theory (I like keeping my stats nice and uniform), but there we go.

2) Ring of Rapid Ascent over Loop of Endless Labyrinth

So with Endless Labyrinth, you will be overcapped on Hit. On the other hand, using Rapid Ascent means you'll get some Haste but will also be under the Hit cap, BUT you can fix this by changing some 12 SP + 10 Crit gems into 12 SP + 10 Hit ones. Alliance players, assuming Draenei buff, need one such gem (or the Icewalker Enchant), while Horde players would need 3. TL;DR using Rapid Ascent means you're getting 60 Haste at the cost of 35 Crit (Horde) /15 Crit (Alliance). This in theory results in more DPS, though whether you like that trade is ultimately up to you.

3) Jewelcrafting VS Engineering

Engineering is the strongest profession for Mages imo.
    You get:
    + Nitro Boosts! Granted, Nitro isn't really *necessary* for a mage thanks to Blink, but it helps sometimes and is also very fun to pop.
    + Hyperspeed Accelerator (way more Haste during trinket procs, allows you more leeway for Combustion use, and so on)
    + 27 SP on Cloak, replacing the standard 23 Haste enchant.
    + Global Thermal Sapper Charge, if you're into that (I usually just use normal Saronite bombs anyway because of the more flexible range)

Right after that would be Jewelcrafting (flat 48 SP - the highest of all static stat professions) or Tailoring (SP proc on cloak, note that it replaces the 27 SP enchant from Engineering as well). It's a highly argued topic, but I'm personally on the side of Tailoring over JC (Mages do have a quite powerful burst phase, after all) - Engineering easily beats both though.
    Edited: March 29, 2021

3. @Crystalleia that's true, a lot of people use the number of fireballs they can get within PtL to determine how useful haste is. But in a realistic scenario you will never have 100% uptime on PtL, haste still has it's benefits. That little extra spirit from Lingering won't do anything when the rng gods decide to give you a 60% crit pull on a boss and 85% on the very next.

Never did any proper testing, just played around with both for a little bit (including human racial + 3/3 in student of mind + deviate buff + campfire) and coldwraith felt better.

4. Thank you for the detailed response. I had two more questions. Which race is better for mages troll or gnome? I don’t care about the faction difference. Which racial would benefit more ?
    My second question is since troll already has berserking racial... wouldn’t tailoring and jc be more viable than any other alternative?

5. Troll is easily the most powerful race PvE-wise.

And even with Troll, I'd still use Engineering. Those enchants are too good to pass (esp. considering Berserking is on a 3-min cd)

6. tldr; use Crushing, corpse impaling and rapid ascent, else u pepeg

7. May 29, 2021  
    It would be better but, on another server where critical chance is correctly scripted. On warmane, i've done countless tests with a full crit/spirit gear as well as double crit trinkets and crit/spirit elixirs and food, counting ur talents+the debuffs on the boss, u are on more than 93% crit chance on fireball, and ofc 96%+ on pyro, seems good right ? Well, warmane devs seems to dislike such high amounts of crit, and little did i know, i never reached thse figures , NOT even close, the crit on recount/details was fluctuating between 69% and 83% (on very rare occasions ,pyro hit the 93% but fb was not even near the 80%) ! Some GM finally payed attention to me, i got my expectations high enough and thought that finally warmane will fix this primordial mechanic after 12 years or so of wotlk, but .. nah .All he said is "make a large data base where u do like 2000 tests on a dummy, calculate the average, do the maths and make a report, i'm sure if there's something is wrong they will fix it" lol . So instead of testing themselves with quite easy commands(i had access on other servers and i know how easily such basic tests can be done), they asked me to do such a tremendous work, find somehow a way to simulate the raid buffs and debuffs and make a bugtracker report .. "funny noises". The conclusion i got from more than 50 raids with the same gear and stats, that warmane will never fix crit chance, and will never fix anything unless someone brings it on a silver platter(in some cases it's easy, on others, too hard/impossible).
    So to answer your question, do not use lingering illness, as the critical chance u're getting means nothing on warmane once u hit a threshold with an unknown value, and someone with minus 10% crit chance, will most likely get the same crit as you, or even higher(trust me, i'm not joking). So keep the haste and try to enjoy a spec that highly depends on crit ... sadly critical chance is and will never be fixed.
    pS : Please dont bring ur 500 iq comments like "iT'S rNg bRuH" . Rng is when u have 50% crit chance and u get like from 40% to 60%+ and (RNG does fluctuate more with lesser values ) but when you have 93% , there's no such RNG that would bring you down to 70%.

8. May 29, 2021  
    Wow.
    Imaging being all this serious and so on, and not know that Pyroblast do not separate hit crits from DoT hits, resulting in lower % crit in recount/skada... Yeah, your tests seem to be very precise and your knowledge is beyond our reach))

9. May 29, 2021  
    Recount does separate dots from hits ... good morning .(and i never mentioned skada so don't embarras yourself anymore ..)

10. May 29, 2021  
    So you cant be bothered to do bare minimum to illustrate that there actually is a problem, but you want it fixed now?
    If I say something like "mounts do not give 100% speed", you want devs to ride all the mounts n game for 10 hours or something?

Get real, collect the data, show that actually is a problem that shouldn't be there, tell us how to reproduce it, pinpoint as much as you can. Dozens and hundreds players will test, upvote your bugreport and make a noise to get devs to fix it.

Where is the problem for you, I don't get it?