1. Devs heed my call! Improved retail-like nameplates: a possibility?

I don't think I have to go into too much detail to explain. Multidotting with WotLK overlapping nameplates is possible but definitely not optimal. Playing without overlapping nameplates can be viable for very stationary or low and steady movement fights, but a headache in all other situations. I stumbled upon EnemyGrid on Curseforge but I read it requires changes made in Legion to work. The ElvUI backport adds a bit of smoothness (I think?) but I'd like something more Blizzard UI friendly.

So, is there a way to get a more retail-like feel to the WotLK nameplates and improve them? I don't care if it's an addon, a MPQ or launcher patch. Just something to either smooth out the movement or add some smart distancing. Help a caster out please.

2. There are options but they require to edit the exe and could get you banned.

Have you tried PlateBuffs? It's not flawless but let's say it works sufficiently well.

3. I stumbled upon EnemyGrid on Curseforge but I read it requires changes made in Legion to work.
    Assuming the required change is related to how those units are identified in the first place then anyone who picks up this project can add a hook to the nameplate frame's load/hide functions to maintain a list. The nameplate frames themselves can be identified by iterating through WorldFrame:GetChildren() and comparing the frame's texture region, if it exists, against whatever value is expected. TidyPlates does exactly this and they compare against "Interface\\TargetingFrame\\UI-TargetingFrame-Flash".

4. Thanks for the replies guys.

Have you tried PlateBuffs? It's not flawless but let's say it works sufficiently well.
    Yeah, let's say that's part of my current setup (a slightly modded PlateBuffs to change icons and fonts along with some nameplates shenanigans). I was just hoping for something more refined.

Assuming the required change is related to how those units are identified in the first place then anyone who picks up this project can add a hook to the nameplate frame's load/hide functions to maintain a list. The nameplate frames themselves can be identified by iterating through WorldFrame:GetChildren() and comparing the frame's texture region, if it exists, against whatever value is expected. TidyPlates does exactly this and they compare against "Interface\\TargetingFrame\\UI-TargetingFrame-Flash".
    Wish I could use this information but sadly I'm not a very proficient programmer. I just read a reply regarding a possible backport of Enemy Grid on these forums saying it was problematic.

5. I also made some changes to platebuffs, but I don't remember why or which ones.

I think platebuffs could get better if someone spent a bit of time refining it.