1. May 4, 2021  

Tank DK or Tank Paladin

Hello everyone,

I recently started playing World of Warcraft here on Warmane. I'm relatively new to WoW, and completely new to WotlK.

I've been multiboxing a 5 Paladin party. 1 Prot, 4 Ret. Now that I'm above lv. 55 I was curious if I should swap my Prot Paladin for a Tank DK. I've seen Tank DK, 4 Ret recommended the most. I wanted to ask what the benefits of a Tank DK are (over a Prot Paladin).

I'm not interested in PVP or raiding. Just dungeons.

Thanks in advance.

2. May 4, 2021  
    You can get 10% atk power and 20% melee haste auras and Horn from DK tank. But I guess it will be a bit harder to keep AoE aggro, especially with 4 Divine storms going out. But quite doable.

3. May 4, 2021  
    The buffs angrylol mentioned. (10% ap, 20% melee haste and horn of winter)

Death Grip to pull casters is really useful in dungeons.

You also get interrupt with death knight, some spells can be bothersome if you can't interrupt properly. (although you can still use hammer of justice on rotation but it is not as good as normal interrupt)

DK doesn't use mana and ret paladin never need to drink, so using a prot paladin means you probably have to drink now and then but with a DK you don't.

Rune Tap has a fairly short cd and heals the entire team, it is useful to have some free instant cast aoe healing.

The negative of using a DK is that you need to use Death and Decay to hold aggro of groups and Death and Decay have a fairly long cd and you have to choose between shorter cd on Death Grip or Death and Decay when getting the ap and haste buff, you don't have enough points to get shorter cd on both abilities. (if you are only doing PVE then it is probably best to take shorter cd on Death and Decay so then this shouldn't be too bad)

Ret paladins are pretty tanky, so it is ok to pull a group when Death and Decay is on cd and let them get hit.

Changing to a DK feels much better than using a prot paladin imo.

4. May 5, 2021  
    @ xandor
    I'd say the shorter CD on DND is more valuable in dungeons. Grip isn't necessary on casters if you can interrupt them or strangulate them. Using LoS when pulling also negates the need for grip in a lot of scenarios if you're able to take advantage of it.