1. Druid.

hybrid spec. knockback+ stealth high resilience and stamina. no one can beat that at a "certain" location. some classes can last a bit longer than others that's all.
    You could say rogue and druid cuz they could just hide forever until the other player logs.
    Edited: June 16, 2021

2. You could say rogue and druid cuz they could just hide forever until the other player logs.
    not that. knockback works wonders near a cliff.

3. of all the comments, i see one constant question unanswered:

what are you up against?

some people here say "use a hunt and kite forever"... try doing that against nitro boosts and nets (everything is allowed so) on a warrior / dk, or kiting a mage, or dealing with a lock. also, no slows since free action, and even with no LoS eventually a class can get close enough. even paladins (repentance to begin with).

but what if you're against a SM warr?. well, as sugested before, a frost mage could do the trick... until you add free action potion to the mix.
    what about an uhdk? again, a paladin, as someone said, can counter it.

i believe the "best 1v1 class" should be able to stand strong against EVERY OTHER CLASS AND SPEC AVAILABLE. even with potions, nitro boosts, LoS or no LoS.

if that was the case, i believe a fully pvp shadow priest is best suited to deal with every oponent. it has range, fear, disarm, dots, channels, spell vamp, can heal itself, can shield itself, has a strong defensive cooldown, has a way to burn and regenerate mana, can mass dispell, can buff itself and so on.

i know people is about to say "but uh dk probably wreks sp". well yes, it may, but im trying to find something that can fight every single class equally, without the "rock-paper-sicors" mechanic.

4. of all the comments, i see one constant question unanswered:
    if that was the case, i believe a fully pvp shadow priest is best suited to deal with every oponent. it has range, fear, disarm, dots, channels, spell vamp, can heal itself, can shield itself, has a strong defensive cooldown, has a way to burn and regenerate mana, can mass dispell, can buff itself and so on.
    Yes, priest is strong as hell if he start the fight, but if he get attacked by surprise it's defensless, for example dk starting with silence or antimagic shell wrecks shadow priest, another example is retri on wings, no matter how resi u got, paladin with wings will take you to 40% in first 2-3 combo. Pretty every class that surprise shadow priest wrecks it.

Paladin, death knight, hunter and mage got a lot more tricks to survive and reset fight, even if attacked from surprise, and world pvp is full of surprises.

5. of all the comments, i see one constant question unanswered:

what are you up against?
    Im guessing he means like overall?

After reading all these answers you can tell there will always be someone who thinks "X class/spec" is the best.

So i mean looking at this in a fair way, there really is no best because there is no real way to determine it.

1v1s can come down to many different things more than just spec/class.

1v1 is a chicken game. It really is. Thats why Blizz never gave a damn about it.
    Edited: June 17, 2021

6. some people here say "use a hunt and kite forever"... try doing that against nitro boosts and nets (everything is allowed so) on a warrior / dk, or kiting a mage, or dealing with a lock. also, no slows since free action, and even with no LoS eventually a class can get close enough. even paladins (repentance to begin with).
    Well, in this case the hunter can use free action potion, nets and nitro boost as well.
    Having these items available is not necessarily a advantage for melee classes.

7. DK or pala since they have Shadowmourne and don't require a brain.

8. DK or pala since they have Shadowmourne and don't require a brain.
    Funny thing, the strongest Paladin spec for dueling doesn't use Shadowmourne.

9. The classes have always been ro-sham-bo. However open world druid is pretty op.

10. The classes that can do the most burst or get away quickly would be best assuming you're not respecting someone to be prepared to fight which most would be caught off guard. Hunter rogue mage could take half your health very quickly if they get drop on someone and they can easily get away if need be

11. DK or pala since they have Shadowmourne and don't require a brain.
    have you ever played dk?

12. Definatly mage, such a high skill-cap.

First 12