1. BIS Ret PVP - shield and mace

Hey guys,

I'm a full bis PVP ret pala. purely BG.
    I'm thinking about getting a shield & mace for better surviving/healing in BGs.

I saw several guides - some say I should get the wrathful (resi) and some say I should get the icecrown and royal spec (spell power) one.
    I dunno which one is better for BG.

please advise - which one should I get?
    Edited: August 2, 2021

2. As ret get the wrath t2 one hand and wrath shield for max surivability.
    As preg pala get royal and icecrown shield for higher dmg output and heal.

3. I'm not preg.. I'm ret with shadowmourne but everyone in-game tells me to get the Spell power. I do like the extra heal but I dunno which one I should get.
    Edited: August 2, 2021

4. As a regular ret, use WF ilvl277 healing mace with the WF ilvl270 SP + Crit shield.

5. What about Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings, since it procs on Sacred Shield and Flash of Light?

6. What about Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings, since it procs on Sacred Shield and Flash of Light?
    Not worth the stat loss

7. I would get PVE items, they have superior stats. You change PVE SM for PVE mace and shield, you won't lose any resilience and you get extra survivability due to bigger heals. Going WF weapon and shield is overkill. But what do I know, maybe you want to fight enemies 1v5.

8. Val is certainly funny to use - however, if you're just switching to 1h+shield to cast a heal and back, then it's completely useless since it has 30 or 45 sec icd after equipping it before the effect can proc. But in any case, donating Val purely for PvP ret is a total waste.

Stat stat-wise royal scepter wins easily.
    If you want more resil, go with t2 Wrathful. Really up to you here, both the Royal and t2 are damn good maces.

Shield is Wrathful Shield with crit (Wrathful Gladiator's Barrier)

9. Thank you Bellerain, that was extremely well put and very knowledgeable. The effect of Val is certainly cool, too bad the icd ruins it.

10. The effect looks cool, yes, and it's fun to screw around with it in duels and whatnot, but the Val's shield with Ret heals is nothing major. Albeit sometimes it feels nice in combination with sacred shield proc.

But in the end, it's not something you'd want to use for 'serious' PvP, both the Royal and t2 WF out-stat it purely on a lot more spellpower than Val (almost 300 more SP on Royal and ~200 on t2 WF.

11. Both are good.
    The choice depends on your playstyle.

WF is more consistent for personal defence. The extra Resi helps, even if you can't cast a heal ( cc, bad luck with AoW…)
    If you play very aggressive and maybe even have a pocket healer, WF is better for you.

If you play more supportive and i.e switch weapon to heal an ally in a 2v2 situation, when you are not getting targeted, rather than tunneling damage, then Royal is better.