1. Need help with hit macro/initiating battle

Can you guys help me out here?

Since a lot of the time I'm running around with no rage before a battle, what do you guys do when you start/target a mob?

Most of the time I target, then hit auto-attack to get some rage, but looking at some videos it seems no one has auto-attack on their hotkeys. So do you guys just make a macro that combines a rage-getter with an attack like HS...or a rage-getter with intercept? Really need some help with this!

2. Macros,or just plain right-clicking before i get there.
    Example:

#showtooltip Bloodthirst
    /startattack
    /cast Bloodthirst
    /startattack
    /run local f = CreateFrame("frame",nil, UIParent); f:SetScript("OnUpdate", CombatLogClearEntries)

Abilities/spells with multiple ranks need the max rank in parenthesis(or shift click the ability/spell from the spellbook while writing the macro). Examples: Cleave(rank 8),Heroic Strike(rank 13) etc.
    Be aware that Heroic Strike/Cleave REPLACES your next melee hit with an ability,thus you won't gain rage from it like on a normal auto attack(exception: Glyph of Heroic Strike refunds 10 rage on a HS crit). Spamming HS/Cleave in low gear/fights without any serious aoe/personal damage will leave you with starving for rage,so you'll need to learn how to balance rage usage. The golden rule is to always leave enough to be able to use your next Bloodthirst/Whirlwind at the very least.
    Edited: November 23, 2021

3. Abilities/spells with multiple ranks need the max rank in parenthesis(or shift click the ability/spell from the spellbook while writing the macro). Examples: Cleave(rank 8),Heroic Strike(rank 13) etc.
    This is false.

4. Macros work all over the place on warmane. I've had experience with macros using the wrong rank when not specified. It's best to be on the safe side imo.

5. #showtooltip Bloodthirst
    /startattack
    /cast Bloodthirst
    /startattack
    /run local f = CreateFrame("frame",nil, UIParent); f:SetScript("OnUpdate", CombatLogClearEntries)

1) Is using /startattack the same thing as clicking autoattack on a mob

2) By using /startattack on a macro, do you ensure that you never STOP attacking a mob (like I do sometimes when using autoattack)

3) What's the purpose of the last line in your macro?

6. 1. Yes. I guess point is to start auto attacking as soon as you are in range. Also can proc things so Bloothrst is stronger.

2. Never had any issue like that, character attacks when I want it to and stops when I want it to. I personally never use /startattack in any macro. When you change targets much(leveling) this /startattack should minimize any downtime while you click on next target or get "stuck" without rage(until you get rage from damage taken or click on the next mob) just standing after you kill a mob from a pack that is attacking you.

3. It's meant to clear combat log, so addons do not crash and keep working.

###

You can do Bloodrage right as you enter combat to give that extra boost of rage at the start. Probably depends on your gear, in the end each auto crit will give you full rage. In any case, Bloodrage is good crutch whenever you need rage.

And such macro is best used: press it out of range(orc goes angry), pop CDs as you move in, spam that macro again so BT goes as you get rage(and maybe trinket proc) from auto. And maybe WW is priority instead of BT, I don't really remember.

About HS/Cleave, what SilverFlash said is very important - manage your rage. These abilities you can consider as "toppings" of your rotation, "secondary" in a sense, used only when you will have enough rage left for ww/bt. It's best to macro them in a way where you are in control when to use them, don't just drop HS in every macro.

7. You can do Bloodrage right as you enter combat to give that extra boost of rage at the start. Probably depends on your gear, in the end each auto crit will give you full rage. In any case, Bloodrage is good crutch whenever you need rage.

And such macro is best used: press it out of range(orc goes angry), pop CDs as you move in, spam that macro again so BT goes as you get rage(and maybe trinket proc) from auto. And maybe WW is priority instead of BT, I don't really remember.

Do you use Bloodrage in a macro then, or just use it alone? Do you have an example of a Bloodrage macro if you do use it this way?

8. I have it on more "oscure-situational", but quick access button with macro:

/cast [nomod] piercing howl
    /cast [mod:shift] Berserker Rage
    /cast [mod:alt] Bloodrage
    #showtooltip

Just make sure you don't put Alt modifier on keys you usually press right after using Bloodrage, to avoid misfires(it doesn't use GCD).

Also I think you have it backwards, first you think up what you want it to do and then make a macro to do it. Too automated macros rail you into "bot-like" behaviour, no flexibility, no situational adaption. Just bind it wherever is comfortable for you to use it when you need it, so you can use it+anything depending on what you need.

9. Also I think you have it backwards, first you think up what you want it to do and then make a macro to do it. Too automated macros rail you into "bot-like" behaviour, no flexibility, no situational adaption. Just bind it wherever is comfortable for you to use it when you need it, so you can use it+anything depending on what you need.

I mainly just want to be able to target and start attacking a mob when I have NO rage. So it seemed like attaching "/startattack" to a skill like HS, would just make me start auto-swinging with normal attacks to build some rage, and then use HS when I do have rage. And I want that same macro to not allow me to STOP attacking the mob,

Because when I try to do this with normal auto-attack skill, I sometimes click twice by mistake, and therefore stop attacking mobs.

10. I have it on more "oscure-situational", but quick access button with macro:

/cast [nomod] piercing howl
    /cast [mod:shift] Berserker Rage
    /cast [mod:alt] Bloodrage
    #showtooltip

Just make sure you don't put Alt modifier on keys you usually press right after using Bloodrage, to avoid misfires(it doesn't use GCD).

Also I think you have it backwards, first you think up what you want it to do and then make a macro to do it. Too automated macros rail you into "bot-like" behaviour, no flexibility, no situational adaption. Just bind it wherever is comfortable for you to use it when you need it, so you can use it+anything depending on what you need.
    Literally 3 button macro, mate.

11. June 1, 2022  
    1 macro

/cast bloodrage
    /cast (shout)

another one would be
    /startattack
    /cast heroic strike

this macro will let u auto attack till the mob is dead and will never stop using it

after that u can use ur berserking rage followed by death wish ( these 2 if u are in standing infront of a boss) and charge in and what ever u do u will mostly have 100 rage for a good duration of the fight. i would also recommend getting unbridled breath ( iam not sure of the exact name of it but its the ability on the right side at the 2ed row in fwarr spec ) maxed out if you are under geared because this class relies gear also get the heroic fury talent if u can also using the glyph of heroic strike and the HS talent in arms spec at the top will save you alot of rage