1. Reason for banning by IP

Let me preface this by saying I've never been banned before, so this is not in response to any frustration on my side. Just a geniune question: Why does Warmane ban according to IP address? From what I have seen over the years, it causes a lot of issues for those who use VPNs (in many parts of the world a VPN is neccessary, and Warmane is a global community). The best reason I can think of to ban by IP, is to try and ban a player who has multiple accounts from all their accounts (since presumably they connect from the same IP for all of them) but in the end is it worth it? I mean even if you have three accounts you are losing access to a third of your characters if they ban by account rather than IP. I have 3 accounts and I would experience significant play disruption if any of them got banned. If there is any other reason to ban by IP I would be very curious to hear about it, but doing it just to try to make sure that a player loses access to all Warmane accounts seems a bit extreme given the issues many VPN players get with it.

2. http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=346180
    If the option for a ban appeal doesn't shows for you, that more than likely means you landed on a banned IP. That happens a lot with people who try using VPNs, since those services often have been used repeatedly to break our rules and try to get around bans. So, while you personally didn't do anything to earn a ban directly, your account still tried to use banned means to log in - again, bans always have a reason. On this case you should send an email to [email protected] instead...

3. That doesn't answer the question. I'm not talking about handing out bans to those who use VPNs, I'm talking about the decision to ban by IP address rather than account.

4. That doesn't answer the question. I'm not talking about handing out bans to those who use VPNs, I'm talking about the decision to ban by IP address rather than account.
    IP ban comes with account ban for sure.

Account ban -> make a new one and play.
    IP ban -> can't access Warmane even with new account.

5. That doesn't answer the question. I'm not talking about handing out bans to those who use VPNs, I'm talking about the decision to ban by IP address rather than account.
    Yes, it does, even if not directly, but it shouldn't take a lot of imagination to understand. "That happens a lot with people who try using VPNs, since those services often have been used repeatedly to break our rules and try to get around bans." This isn't about someone who got banned for stealing some newbie dungeon drop creating a new account to play another character, but mass bots, gold sellers, and such major rule breakers who would create large amounts of accounts and just easily switch from one to the next to continue with it under the same IP if they just got banned on accounts one by one.