1. New to Spriest need some help with dots

So as stated I'm new to the class, I do have a warlock, so I understand some mechanics but I'm not sure about this, so on warlocks as far as I know u can pop potion and crit trinket for example and ur corruption will roll with that until u manually reapply it again it won't lose the buff, but IDK how this works on priests is it the same, what about haste for example when my enchant black magic procs with haste should I reapply VT and DP or will they automatically shorten the tick rate, how does it work, Does SWP work the same as corruption I suspect it does since we are applying shadow weaving 5/5 for it just like when I would reset corruption on devious minds proc for a warlock?
    Please if anyone could give some insight into this it'd help a lot. :)

2. I would dare to say that black magic is not good for SP. You can't control it, while re-applying short-term DoTs will be DPS loss (you spent time casting them > they lose ticks + you don't do MF > you lose DPS). Instead it is better to run constant SP chant on weapon + engineering accelerator for gloves - you will be able to pop it when your trinks proc and maximize bonus. With good gear you can put VT and DP, do your regular rotation and reapply VT with bonus haste once again.
    Using crit bonuses etc is pointless for SW:P. It will lose crit and AP bonuses ince they expire, due to being constantly reapplied by MF

3. I expected someone to point out the black magic enchant, however im not looking for the advice there all im curious about is if my lets say haste trinket procs should i reapply the dots or not, and are u sure about swp loses the crit once it expires since as far as i know crit % and dmg modifiers are not lost since if they were then if we apply lets say swp on 3 stack of shadow weaving it would then refresh again when it reaches 5 stacks which is not how it works rather the rotation makes sure that u get 5 stacks of it and then apply swp

4. Tried to find one old post where priests discussed crit interaction with SW:P.
    For whatever reason, priest and warlock spells have different mechanics, priest can't stack tonns of crit for SW:P and keep it like 100% while fight.
    One of reasons why you stack 5/5 shadow weaving before using SW:P is because it is "slow". It doesn't scale with haste and deal damage each 3 seconds. In 3 seconds you can apply 2 DoTs (VT and DP) and hit MF. It is much more efficient usage of time in boss fight.
    But crit% of SW:P does get checked with each tick of MF

5. Sure ill test it out, and what about haste if I get haste procs do I need to reapply or is it calculated automatically talking about VT and DP since they get affected by haste?
    But what about this forum stating that SWP snapshots crit and dmg modifiers, I'm very confused hahah it's hard min-maxing DPS output, that's why it's fun I guess xd.
    http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=313079
    Edited: March 17, 2022

6. It was 7 years ago. Server was fixed. With trinket usage + any trinket that procs crit + crit potion + inner focus it should be close to 100% crit. But as soon as you refresh it with MF, it should update stats and lose it all

7. I mean I searched a bunch of forums and it seems like it worked with crit in retail as well, so it would be weird that it doesn't work here(worked with crit but not inner focus) anyways thanks for the reply.

8. The only dot you refresh is DP and VT.
    you apply SW:P at 5 stacks of weaving. hopefully your trinkets have proced by then. then you just keep spamming MF until VT / DP go down.
    SW:P will hit with the highest crit / SP at time which you have applied. meaning if you use it at 3 stacks of weaving without trinket procs. that's the damage it will

9. @Mrutyunjay - if what you are saying would be true, SW:P would be way above other in DPS chart. You need to backup such claim, before spreading unverified information. Can you post video how you have 90% crit rate of SW:P periodic damage after using Inner focus + Ice crystal + wild magic potion? With SW:P being on target for at least 3 minutes.

10. i never said i do " 90% crit rate " did i ?
    please read what i said. " SW:P will hit with the highest crit / SP at time which you have applied. " . it snapshots that crit % ( the first time you applied it at the start of fight ) . and keeps refreshing it at that rate with every MF spam. It also should do the same with Spell power. Not sure it does or not. i have read posts here that it does not. atleast it didn't few years ago.. but with the fixes and updates. maybe it does may be it does not.

If you are able to hit a 90% crit rating with a shadow priest.. then you are a god :)

11. Did i say that it is constant/average value of crit for Shadow Priest? No.
    If you'd give some effort and read my message fully, you'd realise that it is combined value of crit from (talent + trinket usage + potion usage + CD usage). Everything that available to get dat "sweet and OP" crit snapshot (that doesn't exist). Here is easy math for you: base 35% crit on regular sp/crit/haste gear + 6% talent crit + 25% Inner Focus crit + ~25% of combined trinket and potion usage. Easy ~90% crit rating in single spell. So if your words about SW:P snapshoting from your highest stats at moment you apply it would be true, you'll have something between 80-95% crit hits on your SW:P vs Boss dummy over 3 minute "fight" where you just spam MF as filler and "refresher" of SW:P.
    Or i'm wrong and you were saying something else? Please, confirm your claim and gift "free" 1k DPS bonus to Shadow Priests, whole server will be grateful to you.