1. Prismatic Cloak?

Haven't seen much info on the forums for this little mastery, and the talent trees I've seen (the few links I could find which weren't broken) never took it, I guess it's not standard. I'm playing an Arcane mage standard build and so far it's great fun, very underrated class, I outdps fire mages (90% of mages) all the time with higher GS than me whilst I'm gearing for raiding because their stats are still mediocre. It's super fun to play too, gotta use some brain.

What I want to know is whether it's at all useful to spec into prismatic cloak. Apart from the small damage reduction, instantly popping invis in a sticky situation sounds useful as a backup to ice block. I know that's not a very common situation, but depending on your preferences you could find yourself with some extra points in this tree and I'm thinking about whether there's any scenario where instant invisibility might be useful and if anyone has made use of it, or if there are any interesting interactions with certain bosses.

2. It's normal to outdps TTW mage with average and low gear. Simply because TTW need way more stats to be viable and trinket. At hight gear, Arcane mage never outdps TTW mage.

3. Absolutely, that's why I mentioned while I'm gearing. Of course it's normal to switch to TTW after good gear. The problem I think is that almost no one on this server knows this. Almost every mage I see that has ~5-6k gear uses fire. Even when leveling every mage I came across was fire. I have no idea why they do this other than to practice, but they troll the PUG they're in by having low damage. Arcane will outdps every time and has 3% buff as well. Besides I think it's still viable with good gear, just for the buff.

4. Absolutely, that's why I mentioned while I'm gearing. Of course it's normal to switch to TTW after good gear. The problem I think is that almost no one on this server knows this. Almost every mage I see that has ~5-6k gear uses fire. Even when leveling every mage I came across was fire. I have no idea why they do this other than to practice, but they troll the PUG they're in by having low damage. Arcane will outdps every time and has 3% buff as well. Besides I think it's still viable with good gear, just for the buff.
    It's perfectly reasonable to play fire in 5k gear. You've met bad players(which isn't uncommon) not players using the wrong spec. And not everyone is fond of the brainless arcane spec,so they'd rather go fire than stationary 2-button boredom. As for damage,in rdf it is irrelevant 99% of the time,so,while fire isn't great at doing dps on trash,it does more than enough for bosses.

As for fire levelling,it's not the end of the world either,it can work even though it's not optimal.

@OP No,not really,Prismatic Cloak isn't useful at all for pve. You're ranged,so if you get aggro the tank will simply taunt. The damage reduction part is also meh for sacrificing dps talent points,and Magic Absorption is probably more useful in the long run for less points.
    Edited: March 28, 2022

5. Thanks for answering the topic. Tried it myself and it's meh, you lose aggro over time as soon as you pop invis anyway. Great for PvP though.

I guess around 5k is where fire catches up to arcane, I'll give you that. After that it's all fire, but the 3% buff on the whole raid is still ok for 25s.

Brainless? Arcane is one of the immobile caster specs, and if DPSing difficulty is defined as how hard it is to maintain optimal DPS under a variety of circumstances, I'd say arcane is among the toughest classes. Sure the combo itself isn't hard, but if you start stacking AB without being aware of positioning you will have to move and this will wreck your DPS. You have to think ahead. Plus you are very squishy and will have mana problems if you aren't skilled at managing your mana. The combo itself doesn't matter, any combo is easy once you get used to it.