1. May 3, 2022  

Spec for aoe farming leather in borean / storm peaks?

Hey all!
    Making a mage alt for skinning and disenchanting. Was wondering if anyone has any successful builds. The mage will probs be capped out at around 3700gs as I won't be raiding on it.

Many thanks!

2. May 3, 2022  
    . .
    Edited: January 1, 2024

3. May 3, 2022  
    Freezing with Frost spec spamming Blizzard and other frost spells most likely. Focusing on chilling and freezing up the enemies, while sitting comfortably in your Ice Barrier.

One spec could be Fire. Fire would utilize Dragon's Breath, Blast Wave and Flamestrikes more, Living Bomb too, if you wanna wait that 12 seconds for end explosions.. Might end up doing better (burst) DPS, but you don't have as strong shield as Frost, or the general comfort of its chill and freeze abilities.

4. May 4, 2022  
    I think frost is better than fire because it has stronger AoE kiting utilities and frostbarrier for dmg mitigation. It's also more mana friendly than fire.
    With fire spec you might deal a bit more dmg but you'd need more mana/hp breaks.

5. Yesterday I leveled from 68 to 72 with frost mage spec and I only AoE'd the shoveltusk packs in howling fyord. Skinned them and got about 3k gold from selling borean leather and arctic furs. The funny thing is that there was a horde mage there too, level 80 (I'm a gnome mage) and the dude was getting wrecked by these packs cause he was fire specced and the shoveltusks kept stunlocking him.

6. Personal favourite is ele shaman with with skinning+dissenchanting big bursts even at low gear, not so bad for aoe either, mana sustain, heals, not too squishy... retri paladin is good choice too, fury warr, but keep in mind they need some gear to actually do decent bursts to make farming quick.
    But then again all this is personal preferance.