1. Prot Warrior Facts

1). Prot Warrior is great for avoidance tanking and block tanking, which is considered bad for tanking bosses and great for adds
    2). Prot Warrior = good in dungeons, quite a bit of toc25/ulduar/naxx/etc but is weak for icc25, and is god-aweful for icc25hc
    3). Why? Answer below

Prot warriors don't get free damage mitigation like 15/20% from ardent defender/will of the necropolis, they don't get a billion hp like bear tanks, they need to cap hit + expertise to get good dps/threat/aggro, they don't get to stack stamina/armor only like the other classes while still easily outputting more threat than a full bis fwar like a dk tank.

Prot Warriors are simply bad tanks for RS25HC/ICC25HC and 25 man raids in general, BUT THEY ARE STILL A TANK!!!! BAD TANK > NO TANK!
    Prot Warriors are better for 10 mans as damage values are lower and thus blocking will mitigate a higher portion of damage (still not great).

Basic Math Understanding for block:
    *numbers pulled out of *** for concept understanding*
    Warrior blocks 5k damage per hit, 10k with critical block
    10 man boss = 15k damage per hit, 5k blocked = 1/3rd damage blocked
    25 man hc boss = 45k damage per hit, 5k blocked = 1/9th damage blocked
    25m hc boss vs prot pala tank = 45k damage hit, 20% mitigated (ardent defender) = 1/5th damage blocked = total damage 36k - paladin block

Fun Fact/Side Note:
    Prot warrior with can taunt the beasts on 10man heroic saurfang with shield block and they will be able to ignore all damage the beasts do, thus generating 0 blood power and making the fight incredibly easy. With t9 you can taunt beasts everytime, with t10 it's a little tricky but you can stun them with concussion + shockwave.

Edit:
    Fun Fact:

the beasts are not supposed to hit anyone on either 10 or 25

but prot warrior is just bad. everything they can do a prot pal can do better with the addition of raid buffs/cds. no amount of rationalization will change this.
    They DON'T HIT YOU! When you pop shield block, you block the entirety of all the blood beasts damage whilst tanking them, so they do literally 0 damage to you, and thus generate 0 blood power to saurfang, and the ranged dps have an easy time dealing with them for that rotation of beasts (rotation every 30 seconds)
    Edited: June 15, 2022

2. Most fun is tanking rdfs as prot in full dmg gear with 100% arp.
    No dmg dealer can keep up with that burst.

3. Most fun is tanking rdfs as prot in full dmg gear with 100% arp.
    No dmg dealer can keep up with that burst.
    Prot with Full dmg gear, arp cap and the 2t10 set for 20% shockwave damage is nuts. I can't even out dps that as an fwar with mourne

4. 1)

Fun Fact/Side Note:
    Prot warrior with can taunt the beasts on 10man heroic saurfang with shield block and they will be able to ignore all damage the beasts do, thus generating 0 blood power and making the fight incredibly easy.
    Fun Fact:

but prot warrior is just bad. everything they can do a prot pal can do better with the addition of raid buffs/cds. no amount of rationalization will change this.

5. Another fun fact: you don't need to taunt them, you always have Shockwave ready and just casually stun ALL beasts with 1 skill, giving free 4 seconds for raid to kill them. Why you ignore such great tool?)

6. Fun Fact:

They DON'T HIT YOU! When you pop shield block, you block the entirety of all the blood beasts damage whilst tanking them, so they do literally 0 damage to you.

Another fun fact: you don't need to taunt them, you always have Shockwave ready and just casually stun ALL beasts with 1 skill, giving free 4 seconds for raid to kill them. Why you ignore such great tool?)
    I even mentioned this is the OP, you can do both if you have shield block available.

7. 1).

Prot warriors don't get free damage mitigation like 15/20% from ardent defender/will of the necropolis, they don't get a billion hp like bear tanks, they need to cap hit + expertise to get good dps/threat/aggro, they don't get to stack stamina/armor only like the other classes while still easily outputting more threat than a full bis fwar like a dk tank.

Prot Warriors are simply bad tanks for RS25HC/ICC25HC and 25 man raids in general, BUT THEY ARE STILL A TANK!!!! BAD TANK > NO TANK!
    Prot Warriors are better for 10 mans as damage values are lower and thus blocking will mitigate a higher portion of damage (still not great).

Basic Math Understanding for block:
    *numbers pulled out of *** for concept understanding*
    Warrior blocks 5k damage per hit, 10k with critical block
    10 man boss = 15k damage per hit, 5k blocked = 1/3rd damage blocked
    25 man hc boss = 45k damage per hit, 5k blocked = 1/9th damage blocked
    25m hc boss vs prot pala tank = 45k damage hit, 20% mitigated (ardent defender) = 1/5th damage blocked = total damage 36k - paladin block
    1 - block = mitigation, 4 t10 too, def stance and armor so pwar have mitigation.
    2 - what you call mitigation is talent witch proc when you get a hit and fall below 35% of health and for paladin there is a CDG on it. That mean you need to be severly damage do active it. It's weird because you said pwar is an avoidance tank.
    Peoples have to understand dk, paladin and bears tanks in the same way. They getting hit a lot, while pwar try to avoid it. It's why bears got lot health, ect
    3 - another fary tail of warname pwar have the same amount of armor in there set than others tanks. I suggest you to look at it. Even the multiplier armor talent are the same. The only diff is made by aura for paladin, stance for dk. and you can have the same amount of health as dk or paladin.
    4 - If you open a recount/skada and look at the damage done by ICC bosses and halion. Spells is not the major damage dealer, it's just normal physical hit.
    5 - about block it's complicate because normaly there are several cap (and DR) but in private server it's not the case (it's a mess). That why pwar deal really huge damage (and more than retail) in pvp. In some patch of trinity core they add a cap but it's not like it's suppose to be. Furthermore at the end due to stuff it's become irrelevante to just count on block.

The matter for any tanks is def rotation. While dk and paladin have a lot of them by proc, pwar have to think and active it by itself.

About hc I posted some screens of me doing iCC 10 HC and 25 hc with skada and recount open (to prove and show). And I took less damage than dk and paladin (they have almsot the same gs). And by the way I was Mt in some of theses.

Yes pwar is not the top notch tank, but they are fine.

8. They DON'T HIT YOU! When you pop shield block, you block the entirety of all the blood beasts damage whilst tanking them, so they do literally 0 damage to you.
    i understand what you're saying. the point is they never should HAVE to be tanked. rdps should be blasting them before shockwave is over. you shouldn't be listing this as a benefit of a prot warrior when the adds should never need to be tanked in the first place. being a "solution" to a problem that doesn't exist isn't a benefit, it's coping.

9. Prot warrior is fine for tanking. Problem is if you have an afk brain for tanking, prot warrior is not for you.

Pick afk safe class like prot pal or DK to failsafe you automatically.

10. i understand what you're saying. the point is they never should HAVE to be tanked. rdps should be blasting them before shockwave is over. you shouldn't be listing this as a benefit of a prot warrior when the adds should never need to be tanked in the first place. being a "solution" to a problem that doesn't exist isn't a benefit, it's coping.
    "adding value to a raid is coping because I say so and I am looking at raid through lense of full bis players with 30% buff"
    Yeah no
    Prot war tanking adds is an added benefit to helping with the beasts and mitigating blood power. The fact is prot palas 85% of the time are tanking beasts with hammer of the righteous, ranged are NOT cross-firing, the beasts aren't being slowed nor focused enough, etc. End result- pug struggles

In guild raids that do 30% buff you can play unholy dk in 4 wrathful pieces to reach crit reduction cap or "Def cap" and tank bosses in frost presence while going full dps on the boss and never worrying about dying because all tactics are perfect. Guild raids are a joke though as is WOTLK content when looked at through the lense of 25 well-organized people.

11. Prot warrior is fine for tanking. Problem is if you have an afk brain for tanking, prot warrior is not for you.

Pick afk safe class like prot pal or DK to failsafe you automatically.
    This is definitely wrong. ICC 30% buff allows for anybody, including as previously stated, dps to tank icc as it's ridiculously overpowered. Play on Lordaeron or even icecrown with 0% buff and/or try to tank RS25hc shadowrealm with prot warrior and you'll see the struggle.

Prot warrior is dogcrap and definitely is the worse tank of them all. The lower damage values the tank takes, the better prot warrior scales up, the higher the single damage amount is, the worse prot warrior scales.

12. "adding value to a raid is coping because I say so and I am looking at raid through lense of full bis players with 30% buff"
    Yeah no
    Prot war tanking adds is an added benefit to helping with the beasts and mitigating blood power. The fact is prot palas 85% of the time are tanking beasts with hammer of the righteous, ranged are NOT cross-firing, the beasts aren't being slowed nor focused enough, etc. End result- pug struggles
    prot warrior helps with beasts by stunning them all, that's it. "tanks mitigating blood power from blood beasts" is not a problem, because, as was said before, if played properly, as you should be and as you should be theorizing around, should not be hitting anyone to start with. you should not be theorycrafting and creating strats around people playing improperly. this is not a "benefit" of prot war, this is pure cope about prot warr being decent in any way. i know you're trying to rationalize prot warriors being not god awful to people to let you play prot war on icecrown.

13. Ha ok, your are this kind of player. Not following strat, and others stuff then come to forum to explain why this class suck.

14. There is so much missinformation here, the OP of this thread has zero idea of what he's talking about. Posts like these should be deleted by moderators since 99% of what this guy said is wrong/not valid.

15. I was prot tank in the past (when I still played wow) and I was raiding with people who were doing lod / bane runs, ruby and so on. Tanked most of icc25 hc bosses as 6.1k gs t10 so still not bis. I also had some of the worst trinkets in the game but later got a better ones.

You can solo tank sindragosa 10/25 normal easily (if the group is good and have burst), heroic is fine you just have to utilize the tank changing tactic. Lich king 10 hc is okay, 25 as well.

You got vigilance and you can put this on main tank --> he gets 3% less damage + your taunt will be on 0 seconds, meaning you can taunt every mob easily + you get some nice threat.

As far as tanking goes, I noticed that bosses parried my attacks way too much. I had 27 expertise and I spam heroic strike when I have rage. Around 60% of my attacks get parried LOL, its insane and I don't know why. This was played this year.

You can survive even soul reaper if you time your cd's good. WIth t10 and proper glyphs, you can have cd every 30 seconds. Fun class for 1v1 in open world, can kill even paladin tank if you know how to duel, good for soloing old content as your revenge is going to deal around 13-18k crit. Just niche class with some pros/cons. I definitely liked it.

123 Last