1. Budget block tank gearing guide 3.3.5

TL;DR: BLOCK TANKING CAPS ARE SOMEWHAT EASY TO ACHIEVE AND YOU SHOULD START GETTING YOUR GEAR PASSIVELY TODAY
    Since I see too many guilds not having block tanks when its relatively easy to get gear I decided to write a short guide to gearing block tanks, please pass this to your local warriors and paladins in hopes that they will start soon. Credits go to Shoggoth, Drinah/Vookh and Katie for inspiration and all the help with math and stats. If you have your own version of budget block tank please reach out to me so we can give people more ideas how to reach their own block tank. If you need help assembling your own block gear feel free to reach out to me @ discord - Dasfdsafsafp#1273

Disclaimer: this is gearing guide for block tanks for anub'arak 25hc adds.

1. War vs Pala: Warrior has better agro, better cds, better stun, and easier time reaching avoidance cap. Paladin has easier time reaching block value and hit cap. Both have easy time getting gear.

2. Gear: Contrary to popular belief YOU DO NOT NEED TO FARM ULDUAR AND NAXX FOR MONTHS TO GET THE GEAR. Block gear can be assembled many different ways. Take any icc/rs/togc tank item that would otherwise get disenchanted. Take any low ilvl wotlk gear that has words block rating or block value in it, this does include any dungeon gear that you may run into, I have also seen people use TBC or classic pieces to help with certain caps (usually trinket). Check auction house for boes that sometimes get sold for cheap like Inexorable Sabatons, Signet of the Earthshaker, Cloak of the Iron Council.

3. Caps: Avoidance cap against lvl 82 targets is 101.6% and the CORRECT macro is
    /run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Unhittable at 101.6%% - you have %.2f%%", GetDodgeChance() + GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance() + 5 + 1/(0.0625 + 0.956/(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)/4.91850*0.04))))
    Block value: You need around 3.5k block value buffed
    Hit (optional, you can always have ret pal do the stuns): You need 6% melee hit (197hit) for warrior, and 6% spell hit (157hit) for pala. Or 1% less if you are ally and have draenei.

4. Stats: You do not need to bother yourself with math, Here is short explanation for what to look for. Block rating and defense rating are non diminishable and give the most avoidance. Stack this as much as possible. Dodge and Parry rating are similarly effective when you have twice as much Dodge rating as you do Parry rating. Agility gives some dodge. Block value up to cap, Strength gives block value 2 strength = 1 block value. Armor helps a bit but im not sure about math behind it so just run 3.5k block value or test on your own, good luck.

5. Gems and enchants: Eternal Earthsiege Diamond for meta, 2x Glimmering Ametrine(for paladin) / 2x Stalwart Ametrine ( for warrior) + 1x Defender's Dreadstone to activate it , and 20 defense for everything else. In rare cases you can gem some strenght to reach BV cap. Stamina doesnt matter but pay attention when gemming since some items have avoidance as socket bonus. Head (keepers of time or argent crusade) , Shoulders (sons of hodir) , Cloak, Chest, Wrist have defense as enchant and thats the best one you can get. Weapon, Hands and boots have either agility or hit as options. Shield has Titanium plating for BV , or 15 block rating. Legs have 55 stam 22 agility only for paladins. Warriors have special zul gurub enchants with block value for head and legs.

6. Consumables: Elixir of Mighty Defense is the only viable option for defensive elixir. For offensive elixir you can go for agility/strength/hit depending on what you are missing. Same goes for food except slippery eel (40 dodge) gives more avoidance than agility food. Increased size will increase your hitbox and make it harder for mobs to hit you from behind. If you are overcapped you can use enlargement elixirs and food instead. Engineering portals can also give size increase as a side effect. Do not make yourself smaller.

7. Buffs: Kings, druid buff, horn or totem, and 10% phys dmg red from rsham or disc.

8. Glyphs: Warriors - Glyph of blocking ( at 3250 BV will give 250 extra ). Paladins - holy wrath

9. Demo shout: It's possible to use demo shout ( take booming voice for increased range) to help with a lack of block value. Not sure about exact numbers, probably around 200 less.

How to: have your hunters stand closer to middle of room, have the rest of dps behind the anub so they can't cleave passing adds by accident
    dps dk should grip an ice patch to white marked field, your block tank should stand on top of it, and bring adds to stand on top of it as well to avoid submerge. This position allows for adds to reach your block tank at smaller angle reducing the chance for him to get hit from the side.

if you depend on it, make sure to track horn/totem, 10% from priest/shaman, glyph, demo shout.
    Stun (shockwave/holy wrath) should be applied 1-2 seconds before timer as prevention to cast, since cast will be instant after adds buff each other's haste. The cast can be silenced/interrupted so arcane torrent works in case you **** up a stun.

During anub submerge , if your tank is paladin make sure to give him tricks/mds and care for your aggro. Warrior shouldn't have such problems. Adds can't cast shadow strike during anub's burrow so you don't need to worry about diminishing stun on them.

In case of that ice being broken during submerge, either OT being the target or someone ****ing up. Stay calm. Allow Anub to move away before gripping / double gripping an ice to that location. If you haven't killed the adds and they submerged and healed, doesn't change a thing , just reposition and continue tanking.

In case of getting hit once, be it from the side or from dropping buffs, they will quickly stack up the debuff which increases dmg taken making your defenses less viable. hop/bubble/di will remove all stacks. Make sure to have cancelaura ready. Shield block works even at 9 stacks if you dont continue to get hit from the side. for other cds, each 10% will help you survive 1 stack. Vh trinket is about 1 stack. HoS doesn't work

I strongly recommend to people to turn off any type of combat scrolling text due to how this fight works. Adds buff each other and at 8/12/16 adds will do hundred attacks per second. It might affect your framerate.

Spoiler: Show
    @Warbone's prot warrior, an example of "bis" warrior, does not require horn/10%/glyph
    meta activators: 1 parry + defense , 1 defense + stamina, 1 strength + hit. Hit on weapon and boots, agility on hands, plating on shield
    Hit cap: YES (with draenei)

@Jedda 's prot paladin, an example of "bis", doesnt require horn and 10%
    meta activators: 2 dodge + defense, 1 stamina + defense.
    agility on weapon/hands/feet, plating on shield
    agi elixir+food, def elixir
    hit cap: YES (with draenei)

My own budget ppaladin. 3 togc items, 2 ulduar bops
    consumables: don't matter , im capped everywhere without them, Hit on weapon, agility on hands and feet, block rating on shield
    Meta activators : 1 parry + defense, 1 parry + stamina
    hit cap YES

@Moe 's budget prot warrior, upgraded since the last time i posted. 1 ulduar bop, 2 togc items, halion hc boots, rest 8hcs in icc and dungeon gear
    consumables: defense + strength elixirs, strength food. agility on weapon, hands and feet, plating on shield
    meta activators : 2 dodge + defense, 1 stamina + defense
    hit cap: YES

@Paraoros 's budget prot warrior, few ulduar bops
    consumables: def+agi, agi food, agi on weapon, hit on hands + feet, plating on shield
    meta activators: 1 parry + defense, 1 all stats
    hit cap: YES (with draenei)

@Zahharian 's budget prot warrior, 1 togc 10 item, 0 naxx/ulduar/rs items
    consumables: defense + strength elixir, strength food. agility on weapon, hands and feet, plating on shield
    meta activators : 1 strength , 1 stamina + dodge

@Kaeron's budget prot paladin, 1 ulduar bop, rest icc, dungeons and boes
    consumables: agi food+elixir, def elixir. hit on boots, agi on weapon and hands, plating on shield
    meta activators: 1 parry+ defense , 1 parry + stamina

@Roof 's non budget yet somehow ****ty ppala. peep the trinkets
    consumables: dodge food, agi + defense elixir. agility on weapon/hands/feet, plating on shield
    meta activators: 1 parry+defense, 1 dodge+defense, 1 defense +stamina
    hit cap: NO

Edited: January 14, 2023

2. Can't figure out how to post images. When I do [img] [/img] it doesn't show them at all.
    Also wasn't sure if I should post here or to specific guides, this made more sense

3. Can't figure out how to post images. When I do [img] [/img] it doesn't show them at all.
    Also wasn't sure if I should post here or to specific guides, this made more sense
    Go to imgur, post a photo, select three dots, get share links and select BB Code.

4. Thanks. Might be worth formatting it properly to look better in the future when I get the time

5. hands down the best guide for Block Tanks on Warmane! Ty

6. This post has been very helpful in jump-starting my paladin block set, thanks for making it, but I found some information that is inconsistent with what you state here.
    4. Stats: ... Block rating and defense rating are non diminishable and give the most avoidance.
    Parry, Dodge, and Miss provided by Defense are diminishable. Block in all forms is never diminished. Your macro actually seems to account for this despite the statement.
    Warrior gets more avoidance from dodge, paladin gets more from parry. Agility gives some dodge.
    Warrior and Paladin have the same coefficients for Dodge and Parry Rating, but notably Paladins have a better Agility to Dodge scaling. Theres a rule-of-thumb provided in my source that Dodge and Parry rating are similarly effective when you have twice as much Dodge as you do Parry (not including base chance and flat bonuses like talents, skills).

An additional note, the percentages listed as stats in your character panel are after diminishing returns, but the numbers in the tooltips (Dodge rating of x% adds y% Dodge) are before diminishing returns. This means you can trust your totals for Dodge, Parry, Block, but not for Miss.

My source, TankSpot forum about defensive diminishing returns maintained throughout WotLK: https://web.archive.org/web/20100809...urns-avoidance
    Edited: December 10, 2022

7. Ignore the statement regarding my take on defense. This guide is meant as a short guide to it, so I made it very clear that defense and block rating are what should be sought after on gear. Macro is made by a person smarter than me and according to him its 100% accurate for pala and 99.9% accurate for warrior.

Thanks for info regarding dodge and parry value, I will edit that in.