1. Two very unconventional yet viable Tank Dk speccs?

Hello!

we all know the standard DK blood build.
    But i stuck a bit with the talent calculator and shifted here and here and i came up with a blood frost build and a blood unholy build i want to share with you and compare it with the main blood specc:

the idea is, after abomination strenght there are not very good talents until maybe necropolis, and that talent is only useful below 35%, most of the time you dont wanna be that low anyway, the idea is both frost and unholy have a similar def talant than vampiric blood on the same tier on their talent trees

This is the unholy centered build: https://www.wowhead.com/wotlk/talent...1s9h11sy821s9d

you lose 3% being not hit, vampiric blood, but you have bone armor to compensate, 20% less dmg is better than 15% hp
    you still got 15% selfheal from deathstrike although with less dmg, but you compensate that easily with more disease dmg and more autoattacks as well as a permanent ghoul, that also offers another 2 min cooldown for hp. 5% haste from improved icy talons is very minor for a tank Dk and normal icy talons can be leeched from a frost dk so you can skip that compared to blood tank and frost tank, also keep in mind you have 6% less magic dmg taken permanently in addition

the next build is frost centered, it has the same points in blood but it goes down in frost til unbreakable armor:
    unbreakable armor is roughly 12% less physical dmg +1 parry, and improved frost presence, reducing damage by 2% passively even more, in top of your 13 baseline or 16 with priest buff, makes it to whooping 18!!!!!!!

so it basically all comes down, how does vampiric blood compare to unbreakable armor and 2% less dmg taken overall, and bone shield on the side of unholy with also 15% deathstrike healing and bone armor. all 3 speccs have the same stamina

what is very clear from the start is that the unholy tank specc i posted does by far the most dmg single target and aoe besides the question about tankiness, the most important question is, how does 2% dmg reduction passive and unbreakable armor compare to blood? the unholy build especually with 1 extra point in anti magic zone seems like a perfect offtank build, where you still need nearly full tankiness but you are also required to 100% hold aggro on multiple adds and when spelldmg might play a factor.

what are your thoughts?

2. no hysteria, wotn, death strikes, spell deflection, mark of blood or vampiric blood from blood talents
    no improved icy talons, attack speed reduction from improved icy touch, a LOT less threat from icy touch due to no black ice or icy touch, no frigid dreadplate

+ boneshield, which goes bye bye immediately when tanking, good as dps due to unable to be broken.

This build completely sucks and is more troll than dual wield frost dk tanking.

3. s

of course this specc lags improved icy talons and improved icy touch attackspeed reduction, but the idea is, that you simply leach those effects in a 25 man raid!! which you obviously will, any other dps Dk will apply the icy touch debuff for you as well as provide icy talons, you would only lose improved icy talons 5% haste buff which isnt that big compared for a tank.

that leaves us with less dmg from deaht strike but same healing, vampiric blood vs bone shield as a 1 min def cd and no hysteria

4. 1. Considering how "popular" FDKs are, no one will provide Icy talons buff, nor proper attack speed reduction.
    1.1 Relying on somebody else to provide valuable raid buff is red flag from you as a raider.

2. Bone shield is a joke CD compared to Vampiric Blood. And just theorycrafting random specs... Make real video of advantages of your specs that will bring them ahead in key aspects, proove your point.

Or it will look like that "self-healing paladin tank" joke of a build several blocks away

5. re

well like i said in a 25 man raid, you can expect all raid buffs! period, especially the Frost tank specc provides by default icy talons and abo might!

the frost specc also provides 2% less dmg overall and has more room for more dodge in the Unholy tree.
    it sacrifices 5% selfheal from the blood tree, and will if the necropolis, but this only kicks in at 35% anyway, something that only matters for 1 shot and most of the time you dont wanna stay at that hp level anyway.
    the real question is, frost unbrekable armor 30% armor for 20 seconds vs vampiric blood 15% more health and 2% less dmg overall vs 5% more selfheal from blood and wotn
    for the reasons i mentioned, i never said those speccs are superior, i just wanted to hear other opinions why or why not they could be superior

i was just theorycrafting a bit

6. 1. WotN does trigger when a hit takes you below 35% HP or while below 35%. Not just below 35% HP. It does trigger quite often unless you tank like rotface who hits like a wet noodle.
    2. Unbreakable Armor is a quite terrible CD due to 30% armor usually overcapping you quite a lot (and thus most of it's effect being wasted). It also only works against physical damage which excludes about 90% of the "real" threats to your survival as a tank.
    3. Vampiric Blood also increases healing received by 35%. 15% more HP and 35% increased healing double dips with your death strikes (and rune tap).
    4. Someone has to provide buffs. Unless your raid runs an fdk you'll have to spec imp. icy talons + imp. icy touch anyway. If everyone decides "it's 25 man. buffs are present anyway" you'd be surprised how many buffs end up lacking.

7. . .
    Edited: January 1, 2024