1. Am I doing something wrong?

K so to start off Im new to this. Sure I played wrath way back when it dropped but I was a kid then and barely remember anything. Point is im starting to wonder if im doing things wrong or something.

So like I said im new and just hit 80 not too long ago. Figured I would maybe try and idk, gear up and do some raids at some point. Thing is, everyone I have come across is just geared to the teeth. Like I dont think I have found anyone not decked out who isnt leveling. Which has me wondering if Im just missing something. Of course this isnt the only thing. Im a tank, or atleast I am trying to be one. I mean, you have to be it seems. I would be waiting like 3 hours and not find a dungeon queued as damage. I say trying, because a couple times now I will get a group for a heroic, get going, then have one or two people die. Not even a full wipe sometimes, just some again decked the hell out dps out nuking my threat so I cant keep aggro. Half wipe and the whole group will just crumble. Literally had one guy just say, "you cant tank with what you have" and then just leave. A dps no less. Dude was probably waiting 4 hours, had one group member die to a bad pull, and just dip. Group fell apart after. Again, not even a one off thing.

So I thought, idk maybe just do regulars. But my lord even as a tank I was waiting two and a half hours and still couldnt find a group yesterday. Just gave up and logged out after that. So theres like no way I could get geared waiting that much. I just... dont get it? Is there some gear catch up mechanic im missing? Or do I just have to pay people to not quit soon as they realize im a fresh tank trying his best.

Another side thing. Is my chat just broken or is there NO talking in general/trade/anything. I can see people online, but the only thing I see ever typed is people LFM for a raid. Hell Ive gotten in dungeons and tried talking to these people and just silence. I dont want to sound mean but like. Is this whole private server dead? Should I just bite the bullet and pay for blizzards actual WOTLK?

2. K so to start off Im new to this. Sure I played wrath way back when it dropped but I was a kid then and barely remember anything. Point is im starting to wonder if im doing things wrong or something.

So like I said im new and just hit 80 not too long ago. Figured I would maybe try and idk, gear up and do some raids at some point. Thing is, everyone I have come across is just geared to the teeth. Like I dont think I have found anyone not decked out who isnt leveling. Which has me wondering if Im just missing something. Of course this isnt the only thing. Im a tank, or atleast I am trying to be one. I mean, you have to be it seems. I would be waiting like 3 hours and not find a dungeon queued as damage. I say trying, because a couple times now I will get a group for a heroic, get going, then have one or two people die. Not even a full wipe sometimes, just some again decked the hell out dps out nuking my threat so I cant keep aggro. Half wipe and the whole group will just crumble. Literally had one guy just say, "you cant tank with what you have" and then just leave. A dps no less. Dude was probably waiting 4 hours, had one group member die to a bad pull, and just dip. Group fell apart after. Again, not even a one off thing.

So I thought, idk maybe just do regulars. But my lord even as a tank I was waiting two and a half hours and still couldnt find a group yesterday. Just gave up and logged out after that. So theres like no way I could get geared waiting that much. I just... dont get it? Is there some gear catch up mechanic im missing? Or do I just have to pay people to not quit soon as they realize im a fresh tank trying his best.

Another side thing. Is my chat just broken or is there NO talking in general/trade/anything. I can see people online, but the only thing I see ever typed is people LFM for a raid. Hell Ive gotten in dungeons and tried talking to these people and just silence. I dont want to sound mean but like. Is this whole private server dead? Should I just bite the bullet and pay for blizzards actual WOTLK?
    Granted, I don't know what server you are playing on, but it sounds like you're on Lordaeron or Frostmourne. If you are then you kind of have yourself to blame, since they are the realms with the least amount of players and one of them is a seasonal realm where interest fades over time.

If i were you I would /join global and look for FOS/POS runs, that is the absolute fastest way to gear up for raids in this expansion. Grind out daily RDF and FOS/POS until you have your tiered gear. After that you can run some TOGC if you'd like. If there is an event (like Halloween) you do that events dungeon for emblems of frost and get your next tier of gear while doing ICC 10/25. There is also VOA and a weekly raid that you should do every week for emblems.

If you wanna crank up your gearscore then you buy cheap BOEs or get some PVP gear so you can actually enter all the RDF dungeons. I get that its frustrating when you're new to this expansion, but some people have played it for 10+ years and expect you to play quick and optimally in an RDF so they can get in and out quickly. Once you get the hang of it i assure you that you'll enjoy the company of those BIS players, because they will literally make your dungeons 10 minutes faster than they would be.

3. Yep lordaeron. Chose it for its original exp rate and figuring that meant it was the more, dedicated/main server. Annoying to find out that was quite the opposite.

4. Well the front page of the website shows the population of each realm.

5. Yep lordaeron. Chose it for its original exp rate and figuring that meant it was the more, dedicated/main server. Annoying to find out that was quite the opposite.
    You can always just start fresh on Icecrown. You can lower the EXP rate there if you'd like or just race to level 80 with the higher rates. Play it your way basically.

6. Was really hoping there was in fact something I was missing. Not looking forwards to diving back into dungeon running. Yeesh, well wish me luck I guess.

7. Was really hoping there was in fact something I was missing. Not looking forwards to diving back into dungeon running. Yeesh, well wish me luck I guess.
    Honestly, if you pick Icecrown you can get to 80 in a day, it's not that much of a challenge (unless you want it to be 1x exp that is). If u wanna stay on Lord then yeah, ur gonna have to grind quite a bit harder for your gear.

8. You can
    craft gear with professions
    buy from other players
    some quest rewards are pretty high ilvl
    buy from northrend reputation quartermasters

Doing dungeons right after you hit 80 loses value quite fast, you don't want to run 30mins trough dungeon where there is nothing to get. Good way is to get an addon like AtlasLoot, look up what item you want from what exact dungeon/boss, then que that specific dungeon.

You pretty much want to get enough gear to be able to que Heroic dungeons, then your aim is to farm gear and emblems, for hours and hours. This will make you sort of ready for raids - only gear wise tough. So to be able to raid with decent players your goal is to spend hours reading guides about your spec, raids and specific raid bosses. Don't become one of those "ewmagad everyone is so toxic" without realizing they are playing with clueless ferals exactly like themselves.

9. Try to get into an active guild willing to help you gear up. That helped me when I was playing on Lordaeron

10. You should have rolled on Frostmourne - it's pretty chill now that most of the tryhards have moved on.
    I've played on Icecrown for a bit and the overpopulation was driving me crazy + the community in PuGs is... not the greatest. 6K GS + LoD for ICC 25 N, lol, that realm is just insane.

11. Ugh, ya the community on this server is just a big no. Im going to have to hard pass on even trying. Maybe ill try icecrown at some point but damn if just these few days has made me want to drop the whole thing. Was in a group for a whole freaking 30 seconds before someone had inspected me down to my talents to inform me that talent X didnt go with gear Y entirely bypassing that I was in questing **** tier. Like ya no **** I dont plan on keeping this going forward dude. Tried touching pvp and wintergrasp for idk, free honor and maybe a gear piece from that. That was a mistake. Apparently server is 90% horde ran. Been spawn camped every wintergrasp game Ive played so far. Not much better in battlegrounds. Legit going to go check how retail is doing and see if that might be easier.

TLDR: Server community is *** and allaince is dead, cant be bothered to claw my way up into some semblance of playability surrounded by that

12. PvP balance sways a bit, but in general, it is very close to 50-50.

One tough part is the gearing experience as a fresh/new 80. Fresh 80's do stand out, and they tend to be given "feedback" to streamline their DPS/tank/heal potential. Guess it's fun to pick up on that new guy, instead of giving some friendly advice.

Join a guild, it's more fun to play when there's people to talk to. Or just watch others chat from sidelines.

13. There is just a bunch of players, each doing their own thing, none of them owe you anything. Community is something you create.

Not getting "free" honor and someone pointing out that you have picked useless talent made your smol pp syndrome aggravate, that's no ones fault.

14. PvP balance sways a bit, but in general, it is very close to 50-50.
    Especially since forced merc, methinks

15. pfft. alliance owns loderean pvp. as to the community, global is a poor measure. make some friends, join a guild. there are plenty of great communities on the faction... just not in global or rdf.

12 Last