1. Need vs Greed on BOEs

(not naming names because im not trying to start drama, im just curious what the popular opinion is) I was in an rdf group recently where the tank left saying the healer was a ninja looter, i asked the healer what had happened, and they said that the tank was mad because the healer rolled need on a BOE purple shield with tank stats (resistances and when hit procs) and then went on to say that BOEs are are fare game for need rolls, I disagreed with this and they just brushed it off.
    Is the general sentiment is that when BOEs drop its a free for all or that need roll should be reserved for people who intend to use the item?

2. The general sentiment isn't really relevant here, since we have rules regarding using Need.
    No items are "fair game" for rolling Need in RDF. The person in the role the item is suited for can roll Need. Everyone else, even if the better-suited player skips, use Greed (or Disenchant when applicable, it has the same weight as Greed). The only exception for that is if all other involved players explicitly give permission for someone who asks first to use Need and take the item.

3. Yeah we all know the rules but the problem is, BoEs are worth gold on AH. i have seen drop a couple BHs ... people always roll need on this one, regardless of actual role or gear. so maybe just add 1 more exception to the rule : if everybody rolls need on it, so can you

4. Creating a new clause to a rule because people can't follow it makes no sense, it's legitimizing not following it.
    Don't be part of "everybody" and report the others who all rolled Need instead so it will be followed.

5. Yeah we all know the rules but the problem is, BoEs are worth gold on AH. i have seen drop a couple BHs ... people always roll need on this one, regardless of actual role or gear. so maybe just add 1 more exception to the rule : if everybody rolls need on it, so can you
    I would argue BH isn't an item you can equip, so rolling need on it is allowed (same as lockboxes). Though better yet would be forcing greed for it.

6. I would argue BH isn't an item you can equip, so rolling need on it is allowed (same as lockboxes). Though better yet would be forcing greed for it.
    But is that really a rule? BH itself can't be equipped but it results in a 232 weapon. If your current weapon ilvl is >= 232 rolling need seems unfair. OTOH I think most people who get it would sell it instead of doing the questline since you can get 232 weapons from vote points or Frozen Halls dungeons.

7. But is that really a rule? BH itself can't be equipped but it results in a 232 weapon. If your current weapon ilvl is >= 232 rolling need seems unfair. OTOH I think most people who get it would sell it instead of doing the questline since you can get 232 weapons from vote points or Frozen Halls dungeons.
    It's 251 weapon that you get from completing the quest. The way I see it, it's mainly a quest item that anybody can do, and should be entitled to. Going for NBG over a quest item is bit iffy, and I somewhat share the sentiment with Onyxia's Head as well. I don't see why BH itself should be considered a 251 ilvl weapon. Players have taken it on themselves to dictate who can need what quest item, solely based on an item that's a possible reward.

Maybe the real treasure was the experience we had along the way.

8. I personally encourage people to do the battered hilt questline for the roleplay at the very least. There is value in that too.

9. Players have taken it on themselves to dictate who can need what quest item, solely based on an item that's a possible reward.
    I understand the roleplay value of the item as Mercy says but... I don't see a practical difference between a boe 251 weapon (if such thing existed) and a "boe" item that can turn into a 251 weapon.

I didn't remember it was 251. If anything that makes it worse because 232 weapons are easy to get from frozen halls but 251+ weapons are only available from togc hc and icc.

Given its value in the game it's pretty expensive in the ah, so people will be inclined to need on it just so they can sell it, regardless of whether someone else in the group really needs it.
    Edited: December 9, 2022