1. Does poison proc rate take misses into account?

As we know, there are 2 kinds of poison procs:
    1) Proc per hit
    2) Proc per minute (PPM)

I was just wondering if either of these proc mechanics take hit into account?

For example:

Say with 2 daggers, my miss chance against a boss lvl mob is 10% and i have spell hit cap (17%).

I put instant poison IX on my 1.8 speed dagger. With 0/5 Improved Poisons, my proc rate based on the PPM calculation should be about 25.71%, not including Deadly Poison.

My question is does this theoretical 25.71% proc rate take hit into account. Is this 25.71% of all white hits that have landed? Or is this 25.71% of all auto-attacks, regardless if they hit the target or not?

2. Short answer: If your autoattack or ability which may proc poison (mutilate, sinister strike) miss/dodge/parry, it cannot proc poison either. In any succesful land as hit/crit/glancing blow it can.

This also mean that all your poisons needs to pass hit mechanics twice. First your attack must hit according to melee hit and second poison itself must hitt according to spell hit. As a rough example if you have a 15 percent of miss your spells and 25 percent of miss your attack, your PPM is 0.75 * 0.85 = 0.6375 against the case when you have 0 miss for both. Spell hit is mandatory for rogue becouse when you are reaching your cap, your melee hit is also better in the same time. And, if you play assassination rogue, even hit upto spell hit cap is valuable stat. Better then armor penetration until you reach 22 percent of melee hit (which with 5 percent from talents is 27 percent melle hit in total).

I just never tried what happen if you hit with Shiv ability and your spell hit for poisons is not capped. But I believe this is really just a corner case. Maybe Ill do some test about it :)
    Edited: April 9, 2023

3. Appreciate the answer, Rughar!

I suspected as much. I'm playing Assassination as my main PvE spec and have noticed anecdotally (because I've not actually simmed or crunched the numbers) that my dps continues to grow as I take on more hit rating even though I'm already comfortably past the spell hit cap (20.9% with Precision). My guess is hit rating is more important to Assassination because a much higher % of dps derives from autos (i.e. poison procs) compared to Combat (i.e. Sinister Strike). I'm sure there's a certain point where the diminished returns from additional hit rating is outweighed by other stats such as attack power or haste but will probably have to do the math on that one.

Right now, instant poison procs on ~75% of all auto-attacks after accounting for Envenom uptime and deadly poison 5 stack applications. Personally wondering if there's much left to milk from hit rating or if other stats should be prioritized. I guess I'll find out as I slowly gear up. :D

4. Appreciate the answer, Rughar!

I suspected as much. I'm playing Assassination as my main PvE spec and have noticed anecdotally (because I've not actually simmed or crunched the numbers) that my dps continues to grow as I take on more hit rating even though I'm already comfortably past the spell hit cap (20.9% with Precision). My guess is hit rating is more important to Assassination because a much higher % of dps derives from autos (i.e. poison procs) compared to Combat (i.e. Sinister Strike). I'm sure there's a certain point where the diminished returns from additional hit rating is outweighed by other stats such as attack power or haste but will probably have to do the math on that one.

Right now, instant poison procs on ~75% of all auto-attacks after accounting for Envenom uptime and deadly poison 5 stack applications. Personally wondering if there's much left to milk from hit rating or if other stats should be prioritized. I guess I'll find out as I slowly gear up. :D
    About the haste and hit comparison for assassination rogue. These stats are very similar. Both of them boosts autoattacks and both of them boosts instant poison (from autoattack). A diminishing return is very good for hit and always will be becouse if you are gearing up, your haste is probably going up too.

An usual hit chance is about 95 percent for assasination rogue. That means +1 percent of hit is 96/95 = 1.0105... boost against previous state.
    An usual haste is about 125 percent. That means +1 percent of melee haste is = 126/125 = 1.008... boost agains previous state.

All together hit is about 0.0105/0.008 = 1.31 (31 percent) more effective than haste!

But there is of corse a downgrade about hit. All hit you get go straight to the normal attack, not crit attack for your autoattacks. You have to support your hit with critical strike which is another stat. However more haste also gives you more crit just becouse you number of attacks is higher. This downgrade is about autoattack only, not poisons. Becouse if you hit with autoattacks, poison crit has its own mechanics so speaking about poison dmg only, hit is even better stat to boost poisons then haste.

All together stat prio is haste > crit > hit for assasination rogue. The difference is small tho. If you want to include ap for gems, its haste > ap > crit > hit. That crit is stil quite valuable becouse it also boosts your energy gain from Focussed attacks talent.
    Edited: April 11, 2023