1. What did I do wrong with Malygos?

Tried to tank him for the first time tonight, both attempts ended in failure because he killed half the raid with a cleave due to a 6.6k rogue taking aggro and turning him back towards the raid. I was told to tank him in the middle and face him 90* away from the raid, with the raid to his side to avoid his tail swipe and cone breath, but cleave got them instead.

If I messed up then I'll own it, and I want to know what I did wrong in that case so I know not to repeat it in the future, but if not, then what went wrong? I did as I was instructed, faced him 90* away and tanked him in the center, and apart from being unable to maintain aggro against that Rogue in the first five seconds, I don't understand how this fight went south so quickly.

2. I miss the days when dps would own to their mistakes, including regaining aggro and wiping the raid.

3. I miss the days when dps would own to their mistakes, including regaining aggro and wiping the raid.
    But was it my fault or not? I lost aggro in the first ten seconds of the fight, and even though there was a 1.3k disparity in gearscore between me and the rogue, I'm a Prot Pally so I feel like there's no excuse.

4. Looks like your guild needs a new rogue, where to apply?

5. If there is a big disparity in gear the rogue should know to take it easy, spam Feint, etc.

6. Looks like your guild needs a new rogue, where to apply?
    Wasn't a guild, it was a pug. I haven't really found the right guild TBH, and that's on me for being picky since I don't like Loot Council. Would prefer one with DKP.

7. Tailswipe?

Who told you that? They clearly didnt play on Frostmourne during s1-3.

https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/w...ygos_(tactics)

Malygos does a frontal physical attack and a frontal cleave. His attack speed is slow, but it does a lot of damage. Unlike other dragon bosses, he does not have a tail swipe.

8. As for tanking the boss, here's a video that gives a tl:dr:

It's true that the boss needs to be tanked in the middle. Back on Frostmourne, we did this:
    - the boss was in the middle;
    - the tank was standing north;
    - the raid was standing south.

This way everyone knew where to stand after the air vortex mechanic.

In case of a spark:
    - DKs grip it;
    - the first spark gets banished until the 2nd appears;
    - once the second appears, it needs to be killed near the first;
    - it should never be consumed by Malygos.

This is pretty much p1. 2nd phase - as a tank you take aggro of the adds (dps chill with AoE until you can hold all of them), then you bring the adds underneath the shields.

3rd phase - exactly as in the video.

both attempts ended in failure because he killed half the raid with a cleave due to a 6.6k rogue taking aggro and turning him back towards the raid.
    The rogue could have given you ToT.
    Weird. I could hardly find warmane videos for Malygos on youtube. In the past, there was an abundance with the tag Frostmourne. Now, it seems, they are all replaced by Wrath Classic.
    Edited: August 23, 2023 Reason: minor edits

9. Tried to tank him for the first time tonight, both attempts ended in failure because he killed half the raid with a cleave due to a 6.6k rogue taking aggro and turning him back towards the raid. I was told to tank him in the middle and face him 90* away from the raid, with the raid to his side to avoid his tail swipe and cone breath, but cleave got them instead.

If I messed up then I'll own it, and I want to know what I did wrong in that case so I know not to repeat it in the future, but if not, then what went wrong? I did as I was instructed, faced him 90* away and tanked him in the center, and apart from being unable to maintain aggro against that Rogue in the first five seconds, I don't understand how this fight went south so quickly.
    They should be behind him, and you should be attempting to angle him so that the sparks are behind him. (He doesn't tail swipe.) But in any case, if you're not swinging the boss around all crazy-like, this is not your doing, it is some dumbass dps or healer that got the cleave chained into the group.

10. Tailswipe?

Who told you that? They clearly didnt play on Frostmourne during s1-3.

https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/w...ygos_(tactics)
    The raid leader told me that, and specified me to tank him at a 90* angle with the DPS/healers to his side, not behind him.

11. The raid leader told me that, and specified me to tank him at a 90* angle with the DPS/healers to his side, not behind him.
    I see. Well, as you understood already, Malygos doesn't have a tail swipe. He's one of the few exceptions as a dragon - the others being, at least as far as WotLK goes, the three small drakes in OS, Cyanigosa in Violet Hold, and Saviana Ragefire in RS.

Same as Mercy, I would also advise you to tank Malygos at the opposite direction of the raid since there is no risk of getting a tail swipe, and by standing behind the boss the rest of the raid minimises the risk of standing in range of his fire breath attack. Although I agree with Mercy that you could sometimes rotate the boss to a slight angle if you see a spark spawning in front of his head, as I've said earlier, it's the DKs' job to grip the sparks behind the boss. One DK can go a bit to the left/right and grip the spark while a lock banishes it. Once the second spark spawns, it needs to be stacked with the first, both need to be killed ASAP, and all dps players need to stay in the small area where the buffs overlap. Again, the spark tactic is not the tank's duty.
    Edited: August 23, 2023 Reason: minor edit

12. I see. Well, as you understood already, Malygos doesn't have a tail swipe. He's one of the few exceptions as a dragon - the others being, at least as far as WotLK goes, the three small drakes in OS, Cyanigosa in Violet Hold, and Saviana Ragefire in RS.

Same as Mercy, I would also advise you to tank Malygos at the opposite direction of the raid since there is no risk of getting a tail swipe, and by standing behind the boss the rest of the raid minimises the risk of standing in range of his fire breath attack. Although I agree with Mercy that you could sometimes rotate the boss to a slight angle if you see a spark spawning in front of his head, as I've said earlier, it's the DKs' job to grip the sparks behind the boss. One DK can go a bit to the left/right and grip the spark while a lock banishes it. Once the second spark spawns, it needs to be stacked with the first, both need to be killed ASAP, and all dps players need to stay in the small area where the buffs overlap. Again, the spark tactic is not the tank's duty.
    I was also told after the DK grips the spark, I need to kite Malygos away from it much like the Soul Fragments Bronjham makes.

13. I was also told after the DK grips the spark, I need to kite Malygos away from it much like the Soul Fragments Bronjham makes.
    I just returned from work, and I would like to show you the following videos:

(time mark 54:38)

(time frame 1:14-1:34; keeping the boss at one place would have achieved the same result)

(time mark 2:13; 1:19-1:29 rotating the boss a bit was fine due to the spark spawning near his head, but the extra movement was unnecessary)

(time frame 2:24-2:44; keeping the boss in one place would have achieved the same result)

You can see how people kept the boss in the middle, and everything was fine. If the tank kites Malygos like Bronjham in FoS, then:
    - this could prevent people from stacking the sparks;
    - this could create unnecessary movement for some dps players especially if they try to stand on top of the sparks;
    - there would be more travelling time for the sparks;
    - there could be a potential risk of rotating the boss's head too close to someone and causing their death from the fire breath attack.

All of this leads to less dps. So, in other words, don't take the RL's tanking strats to heart.
    Edited: August 24, 2023 Reason: minor edits

14. Alright, it's probably just me beating myself up too much then. When I'm tanking and the Raid wipes, I generally assume it's my fault in some way. But if not, no worries.

Regardless, I definitely need to brush up more on tactics in the future going into an unfamilar fight.