1. Druid Tanks / Chrommagus

Is it possible to have the Hourglass Sand become usable while still in bear form. the Chrommagus fight renders druid tanks useless because unable to use consumables / Hourglass Sand in bear form.

Any other battle i just ignore the consumables but its impossible to ignore the Time Lapse (Bronze debuff).

Any other druid tanks out there feelin the pain?

2. Feral main tank here. No, it has always been part of the fight mechanics.

edit: I should clarify so I'm not misunderstood: it's just a part of vanilla mechanics. You will get thumbs soon enough. It's also why we can't use things like Juju Flurry and Stoneshield Potions in bear form. You'll get thumbs soon enough but it has always been like this for BWL progression.

3. Druids don't main tank raids in vanilla wow, except for maybe Onyxia or easy MC bosses. It's just not something that was intended, and therefore they don't generate enough threat and don't have adequate gear, especially when AQ and Naxx come around.

The reason for this is that Blizzard saw Druids and Paladins as having too much of an advantage in being able to tank, heal and dps to also be given the level of tanking power and gear necessary to tank raids well. This has been known for 19+ years. Warriors are the only serious raid tanks in vanilla wow, especially in regards to threat. If you want to tank raids past MC, and do it well, you have to play a warrior. But of course, you can play a Druid or Paladin tank in TBC when that comes around.
    Edited: February 20, 2024

4. Well i don't agree with this completely, I main everything I don't need consumables. and the threat multiplier for druid is wonderful especially with Crowd Pummeler. On Broodlord (3rd boss BWL) pop Stonescale pot before going in, user Crowd Pummeler and i get agro back 2/3 times depending on how long the fight is. so its not a threat issue. Life and Armor is also solid. the lacking part for leather wearer is the +Defense. in any case, i do understand its a balanced class. not the best healer, not the best dps, and some lacking portions for tanking. but the sand part is the only lacking part from actually tanking that specific fight.

5. The fact you can do it (something that could also happen because you're tanking for groups that aren't geared, for example) doesn't mean it isn't inferior, though. Either way, you had fellow players tell you this is working as intended.

6. make a stoneshield macro. pop in between bos****s :D that aint rocketscience. can do on almost any boss including patches

7. I main tank everything except Chromag and Nef. If you think "this has been know for 19+ years" then you have missed out on that much time of private server theorycrafting and testing that proves you wrong. The myth that you need high defense was disproven years ago. None of our fury/prot warriors can get close to me on threat. If you think ferals are inferior tanks then you haven't come across a good one yet. In my experience most people who play druids in general are not very good.

8. I main tank everything except Chromag and Nef. If you think "this has been know for 19+ years" then you have missed out on that much time of private server theorycrafting and testing that proves you wrong.
    No, it is you who is completely wrong. No one plays druid tanks in raids on 1.12 servers. No one. It is not a serious thing to do, and yes, defense does matter, tremendously. You are extremely naive. It doesn't matter if you have huge armor and HP if you get splatted by crushing blows. You obviously have not actually played on all of the vanilla pservers of the last ten years. No one tanks with druids in raids. But obviously you think you're special! If you want to be arrogant and narcsissistic, go ahead. You can cause yourself and your guild frustration and suffering, and do whatever stupid things you want in this game.
    Edited: February 21, 2024

9. No, it is you who is completely wrong. No one plays druid tanks in raids on 1.12 servers. No one. It is not a serious thing to do, and yes, defense does matter, tremendously. You are extremely naive. It doesn't matter if you have huge armor and HP if you get splatted by crushing blows. You obviously have not actually played on all of the vanilla pservers of the last ten years. No one tanks with druids in raids. But obviously you think you're special! If you want to be arrogant and narcsissistic, go ahead. You can cause yourself and your guild frustration and suffering, and do whatever stupid things you want in this game.
    Considering we're clearing all the content with no problems, I'm not getting "splattered by crushing blows", my evidence outweighs your opinion, and your first instinct is to use hostile language and insult me, I urge everyone reading this thread to disregard this person's opinions.

10. coming across as an aggressive person just makes you look like an ***. I mean, no where in here did I say i know all and think druid tanks are the best thing ever. but i can tell you that I do run tank druid and appears c1rc41 does as well. I can tell you I generate plenty of threat and have no issues. I have a few macros for changing out to use hearthstones and go back in druid form etc. so if I want to make it for pots i can.

I haven't played any other vanilla servers or private servers. I've played and raided enough to know that I can hold agro and the raids I run do well so that's good enough. other than Chrommagus and probably Nef I expect to continue tanking.

11. Any boss that hits hard enough to kill you with a crushing blow can be mitigated by just throwing on a shield and using shield block on a fury prot warr. Defense is a meme stat especially in these early phases where gear is often threat vs defense.

12. Woah woah! Ferals are good :) but an equally skilled /buffed fury prot will always be able to have more threat output than a bear. if theyre not coming close to you, it’s probably saying something about them :)

13. Its nearly impossible to get def capped in vanilla. All +defense gear was nerfed for about 1/3 with ZG patch back in the day, and since then +440def is nearly unobtainable. On hard slappin bosses(Patchwerk,Broodlord...etc..) tanks use mitigation gear, and threat gear for other bosses. Tanking as a druid is possible but significantly inferior compared to a warrior, as your dps has to tune it down for you to keep aggro. No mitigation gear, no shield block and less threat, makes a druid a meme tanking class in vanilla. Stick to being a healer, until you get def capped(490 in TBC)

14. Solution:

Use sand while Chromaggus is casting breath, you have plenty of time if boss is debuffed with Curse of Tongues + Mind-Numbing Poison (as it should be).

15. The number of spergs telling raiding druid tanks how to druid is not surprising to me. If you have people willing to support you then you're welcome to play as you like once you can theorycraft and work out the best approach to doing so. 'Efficiency' spergs are just ReddiTrash with nothing better to do in their lives. Anyone wanting to Druid Tank just needs to know that it requires practice, patience, and basically an entire dedication to studying guides and videos. However once you get past that hump you can knock it out on par with Warriors for nearly all raid boss fights.

People going 'herpa derpa vanilla difficulty' need to bug off back to SoD WoW Classic and let the rest of us enjoy it here. Go give daddy Blizz your money to spank you harder and leave your kinks at the door.

12 Last