1. Race/class combinations that make sense lorewise

Efficiency-wise, I suppose most people would vote human for everything when it comes to pvp, tauren for tanks etc. But what race/class combos make sense and why:? If you could write a couple words on why, that'd be great. I love this server and I do enjoy a bit of roleplay here and there :)

My list would be:

Human Paladin
    Human Death Knight
    Human Mage
    Dwarf Warrior
    Gnome Mage
    Night Elf Male Druid
    Night Elf Female Hunter
    Night Elf Female Warrior
    Night Elf Female Priestess
    Draenei Paladin
    Draenei Priest

Orc Warrior
    Orc Warlock
    Orc Shaman
    Troll Warrior (berserker)
    Troll Hunter
    Tauren Warrior
    Tauren Druid
    Tauren Shaman
    Undead .. well anything really, lorewise
    Blood Elf Mage
    Blood Elf Hunter
    Blood Elf Paladin, no not really, i know the lore but the whole light-bending-to-their-will seems a bit far-fetched :P

So what's your list and why?

2. I guess human would make most sense, therefore undead as well. Blood elves too I guess and maybe dwarves with their whole internal civil fights and stuff.

3. DKs seem to fit all races because in Icecrown, you can see DK NPCs from each and every race pre-Cata

Example :
    Human : Thassarian

Orc : Dranosh (ICC boss, he became a DK after Angrathar, right? If doesn't count, there are a couple of other minor NPCs...)

Dwarf : Runesmith Balehammers (the blacksmith on the corner of Shadow Vault

Tauren : Aurochs Grimbane (Quest giver in Death's Rise. He circles the bonfire on a Deathcharger and gives intel quest)

Night Elf : None notable in Icecrown, but Ebon Blade prisoners can be Night Elf sometimes, plus there's one in Acherus.

Undead : Lord-Commander Arete (Quest giver in Death's Rise. He can also destroy souls apparently)

Gnome : Darkrider Arly (Quest giver in Blackwatch, a pink pigtail gnome on a Deathcharger)

Troll : Uzo Deathcaller (Quest giver in Death's Rise. He gives you Bone Gryphon that breaths ice and can Plague Strike enemies)

Draenei : Setaal Darkmender (Quest giver in Death's Rise. She's bent on making an army of ghouls out of Scarlet Onslaught. Creepy)

Blood Elf : Koltira Deathweaver
    But lore wise most humans fit in. Blood elf might, but they're mostly San'lyn.

As for other class

Dwarf is viable as a rogue if you count those Dark Irons (but in that logic, so is Dwarven Warlock) and Twilight Hammer secret members

Human makes sense in most stuff

Gnome probably makes sense as a rogue too (small size and all). As a Warrior, probably those recruits in front of Stonegear's can count as some, or those guards in Clean Zone (they got coif and mail armors too).

Troll Shadow Priest was a thing in WC3. Troll shaman might make sense as well. Those Witch Doctors use totems after all.

So is Blood Elf/High Elf Priest (in fact that's the only playable Priest Alliance has in WC3). Warlock would also be their thing due to the result of their addiction and trafficking with Illidan

Night Elf Priests are eeeeh because Tyrande in WC3 looks more like huntress than priest. Never get to raid her though, cuz I'm Alliance.

Tauren Druid is.... ok, but they look like they fit Shaman more

Draenei Mage makes sense because... they are Eredar, right? They're really good at magic. Arcane magic, they might still touch.
    Edited: February 29, 2016

4. Every race-class combination makes sense in WotLK. Troll and orc rogues are members of The Shattered Hand. The sly jungle stalker a troll rogue is is something totally viable and I even had a transmog set like that on my troll rogue on Cata. Orc assassins are also something which has always existed in the game. Everything makes sense being a death knight because these are powerful heroes slain and risen by The Scourge. To me tauren hunters have always been funny - yes, I know that they're nomads and hunters, but merely the image of a tauren holding a gun makes me laugh. Imo they were supposed to be played as Survival back when the tree was melee-oriented.

Regarding tanking efficiency, tauren are by far not the best race - 5% base health bonus is nothing and war stomp is only useful for dungeons.

Night elf priests totally make sense as they follow Elune's guidance and carry her blessing. This is something very important - different racial priests and paladins draw their power from different sources, it's not just The Light. Night elf priests draw power from the light of Elune - the moon. Tauren priests and paladins, on the contrary, draw their power from the Earthmother Therazane's other eye - the sun. High elves and dwarves were initiated in priesthood and taught how to wield the Light by humans, as part of their alliance against the Amani troll empire and the orcish invasion. High elves weren't able to wield the Light in battle though - that is, being paladins. They only learned that by torturing that captive naaru. Forsaken priests, although naturally inclined towards sinister shadows, becoming vengeful apparations, they also remember how to wield the Light from their human lives. Troll priests draw their power from the multiple animal gods, which they worship.
    Edited: February 29, 2016

5. Tauren Paladin seems like a good shout

6. About the Undead Priest wielding the light, Blizz is kinda inconsistent there. The wiki says undead can wield (but it feels painful) the light, but at the same time there's this story about a forsaken who tries but unable to wield the light.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Trevor
    Edited: March 1, 2016

7. Yes, the Light abandons some, just like it abandoned Vindicator Maraad, if you remember the WoD short videos. Forsaken priests can wield the Light indeed, but it hurts them to use it, as they're essentially "undead" - it's like a vampire putting garlic in his dish.

8. Tauren Paladin seems like a good shout
    Here, read this, this, and this.

9. Still a bit far fetched but meh, they had to give horde a 2nd paladin race just as they gave alliance dwarf shaman. I was surprised they didn't give paladin to forsaken but w/e.

Some that make the least sense for me are Gnome warrior, blood elf paladin and troll mage.

10. Belf DKs are also great lorewise, as the scourge assault on their homeland (refer to undead compaign missions 3 - 5 in WC3) no doubt left plenty of them dead to be raised by the scourge.

11. ...as the scourge assault on their homeland (refer to undead compaign missions 3 - 5 in WC3) no doubt left plenty of them dead to be raised by the scourge.
    And vice versa. Remember Illidan and Kael'Thas' epic fail invasion to the Frozen Throne? (last undead campaign in WC3 TFT) In fact, that's how San'lyn came to be, right?

12. Still a bit far fetched but meh, they had to give horde a 2nd paladin race just as they gave alliance dwarf shaman. I was surprised they didn't give paladin to forsaken but w/e.

Some that make the least sense for me are Gnome warrior, blood elf paladin and troll mage.
    The Forsaken would never use the Light to fight. They abhor it. It abandoned them in their darkest hour, in their direst need. Forsaken priests use their knowledge in the Light only very rarely to support the other troops, but they have no faith in it.

Gnome warriors - why not? Every race, no matter how small, can wield weapons and fight to defend its homeland - that's exactly how the gnomish infantry was formed to liberate Gnomeregan from the lepers.

Blood elf paladin - we spoke about that already. They got their power from torturing a Naaru and intend to use it against the Alliance, their stones back on their heads, who failed to protect them against the Scourge. To me it would make more sense if they resorted to the Light in their dark hours to give them hope, but if Blizzard had done that then they would have had to make blood elves part of the Alliance.

Troll mages really make no sense, honestly. I can't think of any justification for that, but they're quite popular among the Horde, so that makes me think they're just prone to magic. They can be great pyromancers or hydromancers, wielding those two elements without much effort. I also found this archaeology piece and this forum thread. It seems that Zandalari trolls actually knew magic quite well.
    Edited: March 3, 2016

13. Rogue -> human only and that's why:

+2 op procs form op ap/arp trinks

hands down

12 Last