1. What spec?

What spec should I use for pve on DW, Combat or Assassin, dps does not concern me that much if it is similar but well, which one is more fun?

2. What spec should I use for pve on DW, Combat or Assassin, dps does not concern me that much if it is similar but well, which one is more fun?
    Depends what do you prefer...
    Assa uses basically only 2 main abilities. The important part is not what to use, but when to use it. Its a lot more about energy management (your goal is to maximize envenom uptime, while staying in aa range).
    Combat uses more abilities so you have constantly think what is the right ability for any given moment. It has a lot less energy, so it may happen that you have to wait a lot untill you get some.

Combat is more "bursty" and doesnt suffer from lower uptime on boss that much. Assa doesnt rly have any dps cooldowns, it does steady and high dmg, but suffers from a lot of movement/target swapping.

3. Combat seems like it might put up more of a challenge, so i think I will go with that one.

4. Combat seems like it might put up more of a challenge, so i think I will go with that one.
    Combat is a bit more challenging for assassination spec after your openers and bleed is up the rotation basically becomes Mutilate & Envenom until you need to freseh Hunger for Blood and put a bleed on the boss again.

5. Combat is a bit more challenging for assassination spec after your openers and bleed is up the rotation basically becomes Mutilate & Envenom until you need to freseh Hunger for Blood and put a bleed on the boss again.
    And you usually don't even have to use your own bleed, cause there is high probability of having one from other raid members (any of war/MM hunt/feral will do).

As I said the only tricky part about assa rotation is timing. You need to watch several things for this: Envenom duration, your energy and combo points. (use your Envenom as late as possible - ideally during last 0.5s of your previous buff so you don't clip it much, while not wasting energy = if you are above 80-90 you use it anyways even if previous buff had 5s left).

6. OR you could go against the grain and play Sub. It's difficult but definitely the most rewarding to play. Don't listen to these guys hype about the difficulty or mut/Com those spec's are very basic and have limited components.

But Jendah mentioned one of the key components of being a successful rogue in any spec, learn to energy pool. It's important and not every rogue knows its a thing. Learn it, love it, abuse it.
    Edited: April 26, 2016

7. Sub is only remotely viable in PvE for dungeons. It became truly viable only with Cata's release.

And then there's another thing - you cannot energy-pool as Sub. You simply can't. Sub lacks the energy regen needed to do so before Cata.
    Edited: April 26, 2016

8. OP asked about wotlk PvE and sub is viable in 5 mans for raiding you either go Combat or Assassination. Sub became a viable raiding spec in later expansions get your facts straight.

9. Yesssss, I love it. I would out class any of you in forums or a raid. Post your WoL and I'll tell you what you are all are doing wrong. Trust me, it's against the grain. This feedback proves it. And for the one who said you can't energy pool as sub, stfu scrub. You don't think I pool before I dance? Go learn a real spec and not a "2 CD management" option.

10. cebolenkosi, what do you think it is trying to say? I cannot comprehend its attempt to communicate.

11. cebolenkosi, what do you think it is trying to say? I cannot comprehend its attempt to communicate.
    You can't even attempt to troll correctly. I bet you've never ranked in your life even with your favorite class. So yeaa, keep riding this band wagon of sub par players who've never lived all three spec's in both wrath and cata, enjoying those easy to learn specs. Not to mention the smallest room for error. Myself, I've associated with top performing players who know how to respect the difficulty of a spec. Genuinely I was trying to help you, even offer analytics to you to make you better, for what? Mockery? Get rekted dude. I'll see you in game AND on those meters.

12. Carnivusx2, in case you haven't noticed, this is a PvE thread for Rogue specs on WotLK and you're talking about Subtlety. Believe me when I say that in my 11 years of playing WoW I've done everything I ever wanted in this game. Now, if you have nothing more intelligent to say than flaming people for posting on-topic, please kindly shut up and piss off. Thank you...

13. Carnivusx2, in case you haven't noticed, this is a PvE thread for Rogue specs on WotLK and you're talking about Subtlety. Believe me when I say that in my 11 years of playing WoW I've done everything I ever wanted in this game. Now, if you have nothing more intelligent to say than flaming people for posting on-topic, please kindly shut up and piss off. Thank you...
    Oh stop. Go check into my thread about the subject. You are a joke if you still do not believe this notion that it's not viable. I refuse to let the rogue community believe this notion. I'm not flaming, I'm exposing what is one of the most difficult spec's to play in this game. IDC how long you've been playing bro. I raided all my end game with HM Cleared as sub and your a joke if you believe the opposite.

This is about respecting a spec of this class that none of you are doing.

Understand when I talk about Sub in this class subforum it is strictly pve. Sure Sub PVP is great, but I honestly only play Sub PvE. No joke my respec fee is still 1g and my spec is a 100% sub PvE build from level 10+.

Show some respect, I'm one of you guys but you are being ignorant.

14. I do not want to get into that drama stated above. Rogues have 3 DPS specs, 1 of which was designed for PvE, 1designed for Pve or PvP and the other designed for PvP.

=====
    Combat is the go-to PvE Raiding Spec. It requires decent energy pool usage and keeping your eye on 2 Cooldowns + 3 Finishing moves

Cooldowns - Adrenaline Rush + Killing Spree
    Finishing Moves - Slice N Dice + Expose Armor and Eviscerate when when SnD+Expose are buffed.

You will want to prioritize Crit in this build, as your number 2 and number 3 damage builders will be Sinister Strike and Eviscerate (which should both be Glyphed) Even though your number 1 damage will always be white hits (your auto attacks) You will gain more usage with crit through the SStrike Glyph generating more combo points = more damage.
    ***Note- Before Heroism is about to be popped, if you are going to use your Adrenaline Rush, be sure to drain every ounce of energy from your pool as Heroism + AR will cause your energy bar to be packed; resulting in lost energy = lost damage/dps (I do not recommend using AR during heroism)

Rupture will not be used in this rotation until you have achieved the 2/4 piece bonus from you toc gear I think it is, that has something to do with rupture. Once you get into ICC gear then you will remove rupture from that spell rotation. You also will want a decent amount of Armor-Penetration as it there is a cap that you want to hit, and once you hit that cap your dps sky rockets on the target.

This spec is great for multi-target Bosses + high Trash damage clear, due to cleave (which was nerfed in 3.3.5 i believe)
    The global wide idea is to use swords with this spec, with the concept of generating more energy with extra offhand attacks.

The typical Combat spec will look something like this (taking points in improved expose armor would cause you to lose dps :

http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#fhg00xxZMgVo0cxqru0xRt

=====
    Assassination or Mutilate more commonly known is a bit more complex but at the same time not really. It is similar in the fact that it requires the up-time of your finishing moves SnD + Expose armor. However once you apply SnD, you rarely will ever have to reapply it throughout the remainder of the boss fight.

Cooldowns - Cold Blood + Hunger for Blood + Vanish (used durring Heroism)
    Finishing Moves - Slice N Dice, Expose Armor, Rupture and Envenom

Typically you do not want to start the boss fight off with your garrote, as it will cause you to lose upwards of 5-10 seconds of overall damage due to positioning behind the boss.

Your best bet is just to open with Mutilate-SnD
    a( if you get a combo point rewarded use Rupture-Hunger For Blood
    b( No combo point rewarded Mutilate-Rupture-Hunger for Blood
    Then pool your energy back up to 75
    Cold Blood - Mutilate - Envenom

Once you have achieved that starting sequence on the boss, your goal will be to 4 or 5 point Envenoms, never doing 3 point envenoms.
    ***Note you will want your Instant Poison to be on your Off-hand (which is to be no slower then a 1.6 attack speed, the faster the better)

With the exception of the start of the fight, which is the slow time as you have to get your rotation going, the remaining time spent will be in 45-55 second intervals of powering envenoms with re-applying a rupture wanting to keep your Hunger For Blood buff up.

Your final Cooldown would be Vanish, giving you faster energy regen which you will want to stack with Heroism. So you need to know when that is going to be popped during the boss fight.
    ***Note- when you enter vanish, your auto attacks will stop. So it is very important that you have enough energy pooled up to instantly Mutilate or Envenom, but never vanish while you have an envenom buff stacking your poisons.

Mutilate is a Single Target DPS Spec, with minimal cleave + trash damage. Out of the three spec it would be the weakest for 5 man heroics.

Haste is your ally, with your poisons specifically your instant poison being your main source of damage. Armor pen and crit are not viewed highly in this build.

This will be the typical assassination spec for majority of mutilate rogues that you will see:

http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#f0ef0exoVboIuVo0gc0hZxb

I on the other hand, would use something more along these lines as I like to buff the raid with expose armor (which also gives +10 energy when 5 comboed) + never really applying anything over a 2 point rupture making ruptures damage useless:

http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#f0ecMexoVboGuIo0gc0hZxb

You will notice that there are not 5 points into Cut to the Chase. Your 5 point SnD will be active on the target for 30+ Seconds, in that time you should have successfully envenomed the boss 3-5 times and in that time the likely hood that you actually do not get that proc will be very very bad, plus I like to gamble.

=====
    Now, for those of you who doubt that Subtlety is useless for PvE, you are wrong. It is very useful for 5 man Heroics and has its uses for 25 man raids. If done correctly, there is nothing that rivals those 8-15 second bursts of ambushes from a sub rogue in the game, thus making those 20-40 second boss fights in heroics incredibly useful.

you can read my Subtlety 3.3.5 Raiding guide here http://forum.warmane.com/showthread.php?t=328159
    Edited: April 27, 2016 Reason: adding spec links

15. Redirected.
    Edited: April 27, 2016

12 Last