1. how to stop getting EXP and resume it later

i want to level with my friend equally but i switch to death knight and the starting zone already give me so much EXP.
    either i want to stop getting EXP entirely and resume it later once my friend is on the same level as me or is there a way to make it so that i get very little EXP.
    thank you

2. Player adjustable experience rate

That would be your only choice for now. You can stop EXP completely when you reach your faction's capital at the end of the DK quests.

An NPC (located in the Stormwind or Orgrimmar battlerooms, for Horde: Slahtz, for Alliance: Behsten) will on request stop your XP. This will cost 10 gold to disable, and 10 gold to enable again. I think both NPC's were stealthed Rogues, so spotting them may take a bit.

3. You can also spend points to faction swap which will port you out of dk starting zone and into Orgrimmar or Stormwind. You will skip all quests, be awarded all talents, and still be the same level you were before the faction swap.

4. thank you everyone for helping.
    You can also just rightclick the xp bar and choose a lower xp rate, this way however you cant stop getting xp completely. just very low rates.